Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussar1683 View Post
If Rodney King was White would we even know about him? LOL
Or if it wasn't for the partially captured brutal beating, he'd have probably be already dead, in jail or at a half-way house. Millions hardly ever saved anyone from a crash path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,824 times
he was a thug and a trainwreck waiting to happen...the beating was just one sad event in his life, and what a thing to become known for..

Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
he was a thug and a trainwreck waiting to happen...the beating was just one sad event in his life, and what a thing to become known for..

Are you serious? Why do people bash dead people? He was a thug? Never seen that. In fact, I thought for the time that I saw him detoxing off of drugs and alcohol he showed tremendous "character" by not acting a fool like every other moron on that show. And I guess you think he deserved a "beating" by the police too. So sad that so many people get pidgeoned holed into something their not. I judge a person more by what I see, not what people say about them.

And what's this, "trainwreck waiting to happen". He was I believe an alcoholic. I'm not sure that he was a drug addict. Not that it makes any difference, but two totally different yet dependent lifestyles. I guess anyone trying to get clean and better themselves is a train wreck? I just don't understand your logic. His demons got the best of him, but none of us really know what he was struggling with. He didn't seem like the type to burden anyone with his problems. At least that's the image I got of him. But we all have demons, can you imagine having your name and face publicized for the whole world to see? I'm sure that couldn't have been easy to live with. Every time you say your name, you have to be reminded of something that you are/were trying to forget. I feel sorry for his family.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 06-19-2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Are you serious? Why do people bash dead people? He was a thug? Never seen that. In fact, I thought for the time that I saw him detoxing off of drugs and alcohol he showed tremendous "character" by not acting a fool like every other moron on that show. And I guess you think he deserved a "beating" by the police too. So sad that so many people get pidgeoned holed into something their not. I judge a person more by what I see, not what people say about them.

And what's this, "trainwreck waiting to happen". He was I believe an alcoholic. I'm not sure that he was a drug addict. Not that it makes any difference, but two totally different yet dependent lifestyles. I guess anyone trying to get clean and better themselves is a train wreck? I just don't understand your logic. His demons got the best of him, but none of us really know what he was struggling with. He didn't seem like the type to burden anyone with his problems. At least that's the image I got of him. But we all have demons, can you imagine having your name and face publicized for the whole world to see? I'm sure that couldn't have been easy to live with. Every time you say your name, you have to be reminded of something that you are/were trying to forget. I feel for his family.

agree with this^ The Rodney King presented on the rehab show seemed to not be a contrived character but the real deal. The guy had an alcohol problem; there was never any mention of drugs. He was a quiet,gentle speaking person who forgave the police for the beating he took. He never said he was totally innocent and in fact the only blame he placed was on the alcohol.
Anyway....death is final. One's life is over. Sometimes I read an obit and it doesn't touch me in one way or the other,even though I say a quick prayer for the deceased and their families. But reading about Rodney King's death,at such a young age and after seeing him on the rehab show--well it did tug at my heart strings and I have to feel bad for his children-who were shown on the rehab show; and I feel bad that this gentle soul couldn't conquer his demons. He really seemed to be trying hard to do so.
May he now be in a wonderful place with no addictions to conquer and surrounded by total peace and love.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
He was an addict. Period. He fought it and lost too many times.
I saw an interview with him and he seemed devoid of arrogance or ego and spoke plainly and decently about the beating and the riots and how he didn't want to be held up as some kind of civil rights hero, just a man fighting his demons. I believe he co-wrote a book called "The Riot Within."
He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. We all know what addiction can turn people into or what they can do.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
While King was in no means perfect and had problems well before the incident over 20 years ago, I have to at least respect the man for trying to hold himself up. The beating and subsequent riots are simply demons he couldn't rid himself of, even if you gave him 5 million bucks a year for life. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he went through the last 20 years. RIP.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
He seemed like a very nice man on Celebrity Rehab. It's sad that he died, I'm sure he will be missed by many.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
While King was in no means perfect and had problems well before the incident over 20 years ago, I have to at least respect the man for trying to hold himself up. The beating and subsequent riots are simply demons he couldn't rid himself of, even if you gave him 5 million bucks a year for life. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he went through the last 20 years. RIP.
Agreed. It was not an easy life for him and the infamy only complicated things. As for the bashing of him by others I have one thing to say-It's over as far as his problems are concerned, And the dead should be left to rest in peace.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:58 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times
He was a quiet,gentle speaking person who forgave the police for the beating he took.

Hell, for the 3+ million$ he got you could forgive anyone for anything!!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:46 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
I remember watching that beating on TV and just completed horrified at the police brutality that was caught on video. My respect for Rodney King was when he stood in front of TV cameras during the riots in LA and asked "Can't we all just get along'? In a attempt to diffuse the violence. That took a lot of humility and showed his true character.

This man was no thug as somebody posted earlier ( this poster probably thought Trayvon was a thug too) and watching him on "Celebrity Rehab' revealed a person we didn't know which was a man who did have a serious alcohol problem that were compounded times 10 after the beating incident he endured and all of the psychological drama yet didn't become a bitter person. There is a big difference between being "famous" and being "notorious".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities