U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 PM

7,310 posts, read 4,687,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Agree with Norm McDonald and add Will Ferrell, though he was mentioned earlier in the thread. These guys and Kevin Nealon, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray. None of them funny imo, but maybe did drugs with the "right" people to get their gigs.
You haven't seen Groundhog Day Bill Murray's humor stands out in that movie really well and I didn't appreciate his humor until I finally saw that movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 AM

51,446 posts, read 50,689,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Very likely considering the culture and practices of the producers and directors of SNL. Do a little research. Cocaine was as available as powdered sugar among the SNL crowd from the start.
I saw a documentary on the making of Caddyshack, which starred Bill Murray and Chevy Chase (who apparently had a fistfight on the set of SNL once and hated each other from that point on.) Cocaine was everywhere during the filming, and one of the major partakers was Rodney Dangerfield.

I thought the original SNL cast was funny, but maybe because of my age at the time and the fact that they were doing something different on television.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,751,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I agree with your assessment of Angie Dickenson and Dinah Shore. Couldn't agree more.

But Roberts and Bullock (to a lesser extent), I have to disagree. I think people like them because they are likable. And I don't see them as necessarily BAD actors.

In fact, I loved Roberts in "Conspiracy Theory" and thought she did a great job as the level headed heroine. Bullock is not as good an actress, but again she does seem to be likable and that is required for many of her parts.

Meryl Streep is a serious actress and is great in serious roles, but I don't think she would hold up in "fun" roles. Could you see her in Cameron Diaz's part opposite Jim Carry in "The Mask?"

Tom Selleck was great as Magnum, but then that too was not a "serious role." I think he was equally as good in most of his cowboy parts (watch "Monte Walsh" and see if you agree). I think that is his wheelhouse and I will go see any Selleck western.

Matthew McConaughey is a cypher to me. I can't think of anything he was standout good in - his part in "A Time to Kill" could have been played by anyone and been as good or better. Even in "Tropic Thunder" his role and character seemed pointless.

Burt Reynolds goes back to just a good-time actor; none of his roles were serious enough to take seriously - just enjoy. Best example being "Smoky and the Bandit." It was just for fun and it was fun. With that said, I'd have to say too that when he tried to play a role straight he wasn't bad. "The Longest Yard", "The End" (he was really good in that), "The Man Who Loved Women", "Dan August", "Shamus". The movies and shows where he is mugging at the camera and just being "Burt" I generally ignore.

The only actor I currently have a strong dislike of is "Anthony Anderson". I cannot even say why. He just rubs me the wrong way and I will not watch/support him unless he has a very minor part.
Watch Meryl Streep in She-Devil and Death Becomes Her... She's very fun in those movies.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,779,453 times
Winona Ryder.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 PM

7,497 posts, read 9,299,705 times
Sarah Jessica Parker. Perhaps I'll think of more later.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:35 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,984,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Watch Meryl Streep in She-Devil and Death Becomes Her... She's very fun in those movies.
She was also funny in Heartburn...The Devil Wears Prada and funniest in It's Complicated..

Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,259,233 times
Joan Cusack
Sandra Bernhard
Brendan Frasier

I'm sure I've got plenty more... can't really think of any others right now!

Old 12-11-2014, 03:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
You haven't seen Groundhog Day Bill Murray's humor stands out in that movie really well and I didn't appreciate his humor until I finally saw that movie.
Oh, but I did see that movie. It was okay. He was okay in it. A movie is a group effort. It can be hard not to do reasonably well. I did enjoy his performance in Lost in Translation. Not a comedy, but he did well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a documentary on the making of Caddyshack, which starred Bill Murray and Chevy Chase (who apparently had a fistfight on the set of SNL once and hated each other from that point on.) Cocaine was everywhere during the filming, and one of the major partakers was Rodney Dangerfield.

I thought the original SNL cast was funny, but maybe because of my age at the time and the fact that they were doing something different on television.
I can understand that.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:24 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I thought Meryl put in a good and fun performance in Julie and Julia.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM

23,625 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Julia Roberts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities