Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

LOTS of people come to mind...

I never did "get" what people saw in Angie Dickinson. She did movies and is best known for the TV show "Police Woman." She's not THAT pretty, her HAIR was ALWAYS an absolute MESS. Yet people just bought the line that she was 'sexy." Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth I can see...Angie Dickinson? Are you serious?

Also Dinah Shore, although she's mostly known as a singer. She did have a TV show. Talk about someone who always sang flat. The woman could NOT sing. And again, people -- men and women -- like lemmings just seemed to think she was all that.

As for younger people today....I know it's blasphemy but I never have been on the Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock bandwagons. Now, Meryl Streep...THAT is an actress. Roberts and Bullock both are just not that talented to me....add Cameron Diaz to that group as well. Definitely not worth all the hype.

As for men....Tom Selleck, Matthew McConaughey, Burt Reynolds...and don't string me up....TOM CRUISE.... while I certainly love their look...no doubt they're nice to look at....they're not all that talented. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Lawrence Olivier they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Off the top of my head; Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Will Ferrel, Will Smith (he's the same person in every role), Alec Baldwin, Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Will Ferrel, Sarah Jessica Parker, the entire lead actresses of Desparate Housewives, and Will Ferrel. There's probably more that I can't think of right now. Oh, don't want to forget Will Ferrel.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
From the standpoint of physical attractiveness, I never understood how Barbra Streisand became a leading lady.

As far as talent, I don't get the popularity of Adam Sandler or Jim Carrey.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Marky Mark, he's nothing without the Funky Bunch. Madonna, she did what she called acting in a few movies.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Agree with your comments...in fact, most all of these play the same roles, over and over...I add:

Nicholas Cage & Harrison Ford for making the same 3-4 facial expressions for every movie...for years. Do not care for Angelina Jolie (except for an early film, "Girl, Interrupted"), nor for Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck.

Philip Seymore Hoffmann is one of my favorite actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
LOTS of people come to mind...

I never did "get" what people saw in Angie Dickinson. She did movies and is best known for the TV show "Police Woman." She's not THAT pretty, her HAIR was ALWAYS an absolute MESS. Yet people just bought the line that she was 'sexy." Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth I can see...Angie Dickinson? Are you serious?

Also Dinah Shore, although she's mostly known as a singer. She did have a TV show. Talk about someone who always sang flat. The woman could NOT sing. And again, people -- men and women -- like lemmings just seemed to think she was all that.

As for younger people today....I know it's blasphemy but I never have been on the Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock bandwagons. Now, Meryl Streep...THAT is an actress. Roberts and Bullock both are just not that talented to me....add Cameron Diaz to that group as well. Definitely not worth all the hype.

As for men....Tom Selleck, Matthew McConaughey, Burt Reynolds...and don't string me up....TOM CRUISE.... while I certainly love their look...no doubt they're nice to look at....they're not all that talented. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Lawrence Olivier they're not.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM

I have never watched WFerrell in any movie and never will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Off the top of my head; Julia Roberts, Nicole Kidman, Will Ferrel, Will Smith (he's the same person in every role), Alec Baldwin, Will Ferrel, Adam Sandler, David Spade, Will Ferrel, Sarah Jessica Parker, the entire lead actresses of Desparate Housewives, and Will Ferrel. There's probably more that I can't think of right now. Oh, don't want to forget Will Ferrel.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
From the standpoint of physical attractiveness, I never understood how Barbra Streisand became a leading lady.

In her early movies she had a very good body and had an attractive face once you looked past her nose. But it was her singing voice that got her the leads. Nicole Kidman was a very beautiful lady with the sex appeal of a trout.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Agree with your comments...in fact, most all of these play the same roles, over and over...I add:

Nicholas Cage & Harrison Ford for making the same 3-4 facial expressions for every movie...for years. Do not care for Angelina Jolie (except for an early film, "Girl, Interrupted"), nor for Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck.

Philip Seymore Hoffmann is one of my favorite actors.
Hey now, Brad Pitt can be a very funny actor even without trying. You ever saw him in 7? That scene with the box was super funny. It wasn't suppose to be funny? It was suppose to be dramatic? Nevermind. My favorite modern actor is William H. Macy. He blends smoothly into a role no matter how big or small the part.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM

"Appeal" as in OP thread, is not strictly physical.

Striesand is a v-e-r-y talented performer...in song & movies.

But I do agree about Carrey & Sandler/not funny to me, in fact, annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post

Old 06-20-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
"Appeal" as in OP thread, is not strictly physical.

Striesand is a v-e-r-y talented performer...in song & movies.

But I do agree about Carrey & Sandler/not funny to me, in fact, annoying.
Just realized that your last line applies to the majority of Saturday Night Live cast since the 1980s to today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities