Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
You're entitled to your opinion of course but I would like to comment on some of your comments. I haven't seen anything that makes her out to be innocent and clean. On the contrary. I've also read probably every book on her as I happen to be a big fan and it has nothing to do with rebelliousness. People find her compelling because she was an amazing gifted lost person who really didn't have a chance at surviving in life on her own. You can feel she was nothing special, but I definitely don't agree with that. She didn't just get to where she was (and still is today) because she slept with everyone. She played the dumb blonde part because that's what the studios MADE her do. Take a look at an old interview with her, there are a bunch on You Tube. She was very smart, shrewd and articulate. She was NOT the dumb blonde she played on the screen. And to say she can't act or sing - have you heard the recordings she made? There are many and she had a wonderful voice. She proved she could act and would have done alot more if she had been given the chance. Her comedic timing was genius. Seven Year Itch, Some Like it Hot, Bus Stop, The Misfits, etc ...She was great in those films. I defend her not because she was gorgeous, but of who she was inside. She came from nothing, an awful abusive childhood and raised in several foster homes. I just don't get why people want to trash this lady who isn't around to defend herself and say she was nothing.

Anyways, we all have our opinions, and that's what makes the world go around..it just is getting old that people still actually think the person she played on screen was who she was in real life. To compare her to Paris Hilton, a spoiled rich racist twit who has an ugly heart, now I've heard it all!

As for the lesbian stuff - if she did, so be it. She was always looking for the love she never got as a child. Unfortunately sex doesn't equal love.
I totally agree with you. Marilyn was beautiful, sexy, and smart. And she was so talented that she could play the dumb blond part and make you believe it.

Here are a few quotes from Marilyn:

“Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty cents.”
Marilyn Monroe

“If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question, I've got to follow it through, what am I supposed to do, look intelligent?”

Marilyn Monroe

“We are all born sexual creatures,thank God, but it's a pity so many people despise and crush this natural gift.”
Marilyn Monroe

“People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts, then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one.”
Marilyn Monroe

“Some people have been unkind. If I say I want to grow as an actress, they look at my figure. If I say I want to develop, to learn my craft, they laugh. Somehow they don't expect me to be serious about my work.”
Marilyn Monroe

“I'm pretty, but I'm not beautiful.
I'm sin, but I'm not the devil.
I'm good, but I'm not an angel.
I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.”
Marilyn Monroe

“If you're gonna be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.”

Marilyn Monroe

“Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.”

Marilyn Monroe

Personally, I think she was ahead of her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:33 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post

Personally, I think she was ahead of her time.
I agree with you and Goldy, and have posted similar quotes in other MM threads.
Men are climbing to the moon but they don't seem interested in the beating human heart.

Whether or not she had an affair with another women does not really matter to me, though I tend not to believe it because I think she was heterosexual. However, her milieu was Hollywood, and the same-sex experimentation might merely have been some kissy-face fun after a bottle (or two) of champagne.

Marilyn, neither a saint nor a dumb blonde, will always have her detractors and defenders, and people will continue to make money from her memory.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Joan Crawford was known to have affairs with women, too, a few years before Marilyn's time. I've a hunch it was nothing new amongst those the movie industry from it's Silent Era years on out.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Joan Crawford was known to have affairs with women, too, a few years before Marilyn's time. I've a hunch it was nothing new amongst those the movie industry from it's Silent Era years on out.
Joan Crawford was actually very hott when she was younger.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
She might have been one of the world's premier sex symbols, but Marilyn Monroe was plagued with well-documented personal insecurities -- among them the possibility she might be a lesbian, a new book alleges.

Author Lois Banner describes Monroe's doubts about her sexuality in her new book, "Marilyn: The Passion and the Paradox," an extract of which has been published in The Guardian.

Marilyn Monroe A Lesbian? Hollywood Icon Had Affairs With Women, New Book Alleges
What does being bisexual have to do with being "insecure?"

Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Who cares if she was gay or not...its 2012 people.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
A lot of those old Hollywood stars were alleged to have had homosexual affairs. I heard of the account of Joan Crawford seducing her, and Marilyn not liking the experience. I think it confirmed to her that she was straight, or something to that effect. Not sure how reliable it is, but either way, I don't really think Marilyn was a lesbian.

I think it's overrated in terms of looks and wasn't the greatest actress, yet she's still worshipped to this day. She seems like quite a tortured individual though and I do feel a bit sorry for her.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
She's not here to defend herself........
You imply this is something bad.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You imply this is something bad.
Set the record straight would be a better way to put it (excuse the pun lol). I mean it wasn't something Hollywood stars publicly boasted about in the 50s (compared to now). Personally I don't think it's because she has anything to 'admit it', but more that she should have the chance to clear up a rumour as true or not true, or keep her private life private.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Why does this info come out 50 yrs after her death ? She was a hollywood ho so i wouldnt doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities