U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

3,140 posts, read 3,966,446 times

Advertisements

I was watching a Tennessee Williams' documentary, and saw a photo of him on the beach. He actually had pecs! Not Brock Lesnar pecs, of course, but not the saggy moobs one would expect on a middle-aged, cigarette-smoking, alcoholic.

And I remember his account of being raped by a staff member at a Mexican Resort. You'd expect someone with his substance issues to have to PAY for attentions like that -- unless he worked out. I mean, booze and ciggies each have a feminizing effect, and the synergy of the two is largely responsible for why men from that era were so unbelievably hideous (well, the greasy hair and pants up six inches past their navels probably didn't help, either...).

But Williams seems to have been unusually attractive. So, I was just wondering: did he cruise the 'Y', and actually exercise while waiting to catch someone's eye? Did he swim regularly? Did he have whatever they called 'Personal Trainers' back then? (Most of the big, professional muscle men, back then, offered a variety of 'services', beyond posing exhibitions, and maybe he had them in to give him workouts, before moving on to more interesting and expensive offerings)

So, what was Tennessee Williams' fitness secret? And obviously, I'm all ears for any lurid details fit to print...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Oh, for heaven's sake! Is everybody here fixated on the likes of Justin Bieber and Beyonce? Are those the boundaries of your worlds? Sheeeesh!

Anyway, I just found this tidbit at a site called 'commonground.org' : "Built originally in 1904, The Christopher is the site of the former Robert McBurney YMCA, and was an important fixture in Manhattan’s vibrant Chelsea neighborhood. Immortalized in the song “YMCA” by the Village People, the McBurney YMCA provided affordable accommodations for single working men, low-income individuals and merchant seamen. Andy Warhol and playwright Tennessee Williams were among the famous residents who took advantage of the YMCA’s affordable lodging and recreational facilities."

http://www.commonground.org/our-buil...e-christopher/

Yep! Right neighborhood... Definitely a 'playground'.... So, we know he at least knew about exercise facilities, and frequented at least one. And since one of his closest friends said Williams liked to 'hook up' at least once a day, I'm sure the Y was a fave haunt. Surely, he did more than sit around casting lecherous glances, while waiting for the next trick.

Come on, y'all! I want DIRT!!!

_______

Oh, BTW, I consider Williams to be in the top 5 greatest writers who ever lived. I grew up in a nonwhite backwoods area of Mississippi, and discovered the entirely separate world of Delta Aristocrats after I went to college. Tennessee Williams captures the essence of that world with astonishing accuracy.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,578,032 times
Blow out your candles...Laura.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,002,502 times
Yes, I think he did. Together with Richard Simmons.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:57 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,671,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake! Is everybody here fixated on the likes of Justin Bieber and Beyonce? Are those the boundaries of your worlds? Sheeeesh!
Believe it or not, there is a little bit of life that can be experienced aside from Bieber, Beyonce, and the physical fitness regimen of Tennessee Williams.

I don't know if he pumped iron, but it's pretty common knowledge that he pumped Frank Merlo.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Update!

From The Selected Letters of Tennessee Williams: 1920-1945:
TW stayed briefly at the YMCA, upon arriving in Los Angeles in 1939.

Maybe he used the rowing machine, etc., while there? That's two YMCAs we know he stayed at.

Aw come on, y'all... Everybody in Jackson had the scoop on Joe Namath and Michael Landon. And Tennessee Williams was far less discreet (though far less attractive). So I know there are people out there with stories to tell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities