U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM

7,873 posts, read 5,495,138 times

Advertisements

"We's in the North. We's in the North!"--former slaves from the Harriet Tubman movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 PM

803 posts, read 1,552,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
North symbolizes freedom in African-American culture. When slavery was abolished in the 'North' after the Revolutionary War, Black people began looking to the 'North' for freedom. All of those brave souls who ran away from bondage in the South followed the North Star. North is a compass, a guide toward freedom. This is why Frederick Douglass names his newspaper the 'North Star'. While I will never know why Kanye West chose to have a career in Hip-Hop, the fact remains, that his mother, the late Dr. Donda West was a very educated, and accomplished scholar who taught college English, Literature, etc. for over 30 years before she passed away. She was deeply rooted in African American history/culture, and an early Civil Rights activist. I think by giving his child the name 'North', he is honoring what his Mother stood for.
wow! thats a nice story behind the name!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,429,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy612 View Post
wow! thats a nice story behind the name!

oh please!! Is the child supposed to recite that story to everyone who makes fun of her name? And they WILL make fun of her name. Hell, we're making fun of it; hate to imagine the hell school kids will put her through.
NO reason is good enough for doing this to a child. What's in a name? Everything!!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM

18,120 posts, read 20,106,909 times
Both parents are pretty egotistical so perhaps they will grow tired quickly of the task of taking care of their daughter and let the nannies do it. Then maybe she will get some foundation in her that will make her strong enough to endure the hazing she is going to get with her name.

Her dad will just say "beat their a**" or "I'll beat their parent's a**" because they both will teach her she is better than others, deserves all they will shower her with.

Then need mandatory parenting classes before taking that baby home I can't see Kim being a hands on mom like Kourtney is.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
oh please!! Is the child supposed to recite that story to everyone who makes fun of her name? And they WILL make fun of her name. Hell, we're making fun of it; hate to imagine the hell school kids will put her through.
NO reason is good enough for doing this to a child. What's in a name? Everything!!!!

noooo! dont get me wrong, the name is ridiculous! the meanings or significance behind the name of what the other poster mentioned is a cool story and from what i mentioned before about north how it could possibly mean up, rising, sky, heaven.

if this is the name they def chose, im just trying to think of the good out of this horrible, very horrible name. of course kids would make fun of that name, i mean really, kids make fun out of normal names.. they will have a field day with North, Honor, Apple, Blue, pilot inspektor, moxie crimefighter, omg unfortunately the list goes on and on. lol

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 12,653,230 times
Quote:

One of my peeves.....parents choosing a quirky name because of what it means.

Seriously, in everyday life, people are not going to stop to ponder what a name means.

Same goes for people who take a normal name.....and then change the spelling.....like that is somehow going to make the child special.

Ummm.....no. That is just going to cause endless confusion and create the burden of constantly correcting people, paperwork, etc. because their name is spelled wrong.....over and over and over and over. Isn't that just wonderful?

On another note. Why is the baby's name North West? Kim and Kanye are not married.

Wouldn't the baby's legal name be North Kardashian?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM

6,462 posts, read 6,494,163 times
I think they are just pulling our legs...I think the real name is Kaidence Donda...as some are now reporting...

Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,429,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Both parents are pretty egotistical so perhaps they will grow tired quickly of the task of taking care of their daughter and let the nannies do it. Then maybe she will get some foundation in her that will make her strong enough to endure the hazing she is going to get with her name.

Her dad will just say "beat their a**" or "I'll beat their parent's a**" because they both will teach her she is better than others, deserves all they will shower her with.

Then need mandatory parenting classes before taking that baby home I can't see Kim being a hands on mom like Kourtney is.

Kourtney comes across as so normal, so level headed and yes-such an awesome mom!!! Would not surprise me if she bolted from this wacko family and changed her identity.

P.S. for those who don't know--Kourtney named her son Mason and her daughter Penelope

Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

One of my peeves.....parents choosing a quirky name because of what it means.

Seriously, in everyday life, people are not going to stop to ponder what a name means.

Same goes for people who take a normal name.....and then change the spelling.....like that is somehow going to make the child special.

Ummm.....no. That is just going to cause endless confusion and create the burden of constantly correcting people, paperwork, etc. because their name is spelled wrong.....over and over and over and over. Isn't that just wonderful?

On another note. Why is the baby's name North West? Kim and Kanye are not married.

Wouldn't the baby's legal name be North Kardashian?

omg yes! here are some of the names ive encountered whether its thru a parent i know or an acquaintance i heard about.
Airica (erica)

jesssica (yes 3 s's for jessica)

Mykle ( yep, for Michael)

Amandah (amanda)

muryeah (mariah) its pronounced moo -rye-ah. the pronunciation sounds very close to the familys surname. so yes it rhymes almost.

ehlizabith ( elizabeth)

jaycine (jason) i think it that spelling or its jacine..

jenafur (jennifer)

joyanne ( its just a variation of joanne)not the worst from this list.

and this one.. Melyca (melissa)

unreal.
im sure theres more but those stuck in my mind as a very odd spelling.

technically yes, i was a little shocked that their is no middle name.. no place to put in the kardashian stamp. i get the feeling that kims self esteem is low and she would do anything to keep kanye around.. even name her baby ..North.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:34 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,833,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
North symbolizes freedom in African-American culture. When slavery was abolished in the 'North' after the Revolutionary War, Black people began looking to the 'North' for freedom. All of those brave souls who ran away from bondage in the South followed the North Star. North is a compass, a guide toward freedom. This is why Frederick Douglass names his newspaper the 'North Star'. While I will never know why Kanye West chose to have a career in Hip-Hop, the fact remains, that his mother, the late Dr. Donda West was a very educated, and accomplished scholar who taught college English, Literature, etc. for over 30 years before she passed away. She was deeply rooted in African American history/culture, and an early Civil Rights activist. I think by giving his child the name 'North', he is honoring what his Mother stood for.
That's a nice story but I seriously doubt either Kanye or Kim put that much thought into North. More likely if they did choose North it's because he's last name is West and they (he because Kim doesn't seem to have a mind of her own when it comes to what Kanye wants) thought it would be cute. People who give their kids these outrageous names must plan on their kids never having to do any real work outside of the entertainment industry. I hope they have very good accountants...while they may be rich they don't have that kind of wealth that goes on forever, especially the way they like to spend money.

Quote:
Kourtney comes across as so normal, so level headed and yes-such an awesome mom!!! Would not surprise me if she bolted from this wacko family and changed her identity.

P.S. for those who don't know--Kourtney named her son Mason and her daughter Penelope
Kourtney does seem like a good mom; I think that every time they show her interacting with her kids. I wonder why anyone in the family supported this North foolishness (if its true) as none of them have "unique" names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities