Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Michelle Pfeiffer is not as young and pretty as she once was. Women cannot continue to play the ingenue roles for long (see Meg Ryan).
This makes me think of a RELATED issue...actors/actresses who get ALL the good parts so no one else GET a gig....

Meryl Streep took parts that Glenn Close and Christine Lahti would have gotten.....so they had to do Streep's turn downs (I guess Streep couldn't DO EVERY. DAMN. MOVIE. she was offered.)

Look at Susan Sarandon now.
She seems to be THE go-to actress for the middle aged wife. She was Richard Gere's wife in "Arbitrage," and Michael Douglas' ex-wife in "Solitary Man." I know Michelle Pfeiffer (54) is a bit younger -- but she could have gotten those parts. OR Amy Irving, or Jaime Lee Curtis, or even Carrie Fisher.

Samuel L. Jackson joked one time that 'he could see Denzel Washington's fingerprints on the scripts he got." But he also chuckled and said Denzel couldn't do everything, so he was MORE than glad to take a Denzel rejected part. And even with that Samuel L. Jackson was doing four and five movies a year.

Bradley Cooper and Ryan Reynolds are the hot young actor right now...and Sam Worthington, I guess. But he's definitely the third choice. With Reynolds and Cooper so on a roll....some other perfectly great actors can't get a part.

Look how Julia Roberts -- with her non-acting self -- took the best parts......and Sandra Bullock (who was even worse) likely got her rejects...but there are so many parts for the late 20s'early 30 age group white actress there was still plenty of work.

But especially if you're a minority....if you have Will Smith getting most Black parts, and Jaime Foxx doing whatever Smith turns down ((like Denzel and Samuel a generation before)) then...there usually aren't enough parts after
that for any other Black actors to GET a part. Same with actresses...if Jennifer Lopez is your go-to Latina.....what's left for someone else.

ADD TO ALL THAT.....the "interesting career choices' in terms of which parts a person DOES DO or turns DOWN and it's so interesting to see how a career develops

Others who -- in their time also had things like that happen

-- Kevin Bacon (44) vs. Kiefer Sutherland (46) vs. Robert Downey Jr (47)......Those three-- and Tom Cruise (50) -- but because he was cuter his career really broke out...and there are so MANY parts for white males.
--Andrew Stevens Patrick Swayze (who even looked alike)
-- Demi Moore (50), Ally Sheedy (50), Molly Ringwald (44)-- technically they COULD have all be interchangeable.....but look at who go which roles.....SAME FOR.....
-- Cameron Diaz (40).....who was a little younger than Julia Roberts (45) and Sandra Bullock (48) , yet BACK IN THEIR ENGENUE YEARS were all in that 'all-American category EVEN NOW to me the COULD BE interchangeable. There's not one part that any or all of them couldn't do. Julia or Demi could have done "The Proposal," "The Blind Side" "Speed." "The Net" Demi could have done "Pelican Brief," "Steel Magnolias", even "Erin Brokovich" -- Julia could have done "Ghost" etc.
Oh yeah I forgot ALL ABOUT DEBRA WINGER! (57)
Barbara Hershey is older but you get the idea....
-- Heck back in the 40a and 50s look at the Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyk era...or the Stella Stevens, Connie Stevens, Debbie Reynolds revolving parts theme....
-- You can't tell me Sidney Poitier was THEEEE only Black actor who could have done good, sophisticated parts in 50s and 60s

The parts you get OFFERED...the parts you can get..... your reputation in the business....it's all very interesting......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
a few I've wondered about are:

Winona Ryder
I've wondered about her as well. She was HUGE for awhile, just everywhere. But the shoplifting was just bizarre.

Maybe sometimes they just decide they've made enough money and get out of the whole Hollywood scene. Probably a wise thing to do.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
You basically just repeated what I said in my post. Both movies you just named are sequels. And Stallone said in an interview he specifically wrote certain characters with his action friends in mind because they weren't doing anything else (I'm paraphrasing). Wesley Snipes was actually supposed to be in the movie but maybe it was being shot around the time he got arrested. It's almost like how Adam Sandler keeps his gang of buddies employed.

No, I didn't. You said "when was the last time you saw JCVD or Chuck Norris in a movie?". I named a recent movie.

Other recent JCVD movies include:

Enemies Closer (post-production)
Xander

2013 Welcome to the Jungle (completed)
Storm

2012 U.F.O.
George

2012 6 Bullets
Samson Gaul

2012 Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Luc Deveraux

2012 The Expendables 2
Vilain

2012 Dragon Eyes
Tiano

2012 Rzhevskiy protiv Napoleona

2011 Beur sur la ville
Le colonel

2011 Assassination Games
Vincent Brazil

2011 Kung Fu Panda 2
Master Croc (voice)

Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Two more names.....Brendan Frazer and Vince Vaughn.
I've never seen ANY of their movies....because I don't think they're that talented. Vaughn's ex Jennifer Anniston just makes the same movie over and over. Yuk. Talk about over-rated.

I like people with real acting chops -- who really SHOW what they can do.
But those two do sort of fall under the question of "what ARE they doing with their career?"

Like Robin Williams I MUCH prefer him in dramas where he really shows what he can do OTHER than acting stupid and over the top...same with Nathan Lane. Love him in dramas, can't stand him when he acts like a queen.

Another older trio of inter-changeables.....Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, Robert DeNiro. Add Gene Hackman. James Caan could have as well if he didn't get into trouble after Gdfather and think he was all that.
I can't stop: Russel Crowe, Colin Farrell, Colin Firth. Alec Baldwin would be the American version of them.
Jeff and Beau Bridges can act and have made interesting career choices. Same with Robert Duvall, Forest Whitaker, Don Cheadle, and Ray Liotta.

Glad Bill Murray has been more picky as he's gotten older.

What the heck is Liam Neesan doing with HIS career? Yeah yeah yeah "Taken" and "Taken: Two" were hits.....
And Jodie Foster (his co-star in "Nell") she 's just raising her kids....
Antonio Banderas....Flash in the pan....and non non-talented hard looking wife Melanie Griffiths.

For women I'd put Diane Keaten, and Goldie Hawn in the Barbara Hershey category. Middling actress that could have done so much more....if Meryl Streep and Glenn Close hadn't taken the better parts.

Oh, yeah aren't Matt Damon and Ben Aflleck the same person?? And isn't Leo DeCaprio their younger brother? (just kidding) Can't get one in a movie? The other will do. Same with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. They even did a movie where they switched place? They both could have been so much better.

Now.....Love me some Phillip Seymour Hoffman -- now HE can act. He was in a movie a few years ago "The Savages" with Laura Linney and Philip Bosco. Great movie. (Not the recent movie Savages.)

Linney should absolutely be an A LIST actress, but she's about her craft and does theater, and is not interested in being a 'movie star.' Linney vs Sandra Bullock....not even a comparison. Bullock can't carry laura Linney's books to school.

Last edited by selhars; 01-06-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's not that they're old old, but most of them were teen actors. They grew up, and couldn't play those roles any more. Gaby Hoffman was a child actor.

Michelle Pfeiffer is not as young and pretty as she once was. Women cannot continue to play the ingenue roles for long (see Meg Ryan).

Christian Slater has made lots of b-list movies. He had a tv series a year or two ago that didn't do well.

Michelle Pfeiffer isn't an old lady and is aging very well. Are you saying only attractive women can get roles???
Gaby Hoffman was indeed a child star but is grown up.
Christian Slater is a heck of a lot better actor than the ones masquerading as actors today.So again-why do we not see him. (not asking you specifically Enrico); as I would like to see what others think too.

there are a lot of actresses that get roles in movies,plays and tv even as they grow older. And thank goodness for that.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Hopefully the ones who "disappeared" are the few who are smart enough to avoid the Hollywood hype, and take the money and run.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Diane Keaton a top actress; I wouldn't characterize her as a B level one. Goldie Hawn probably yes.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Great post. Good to see they are still well. I was a huge "Magnum" fan when i was young.. Thought Thomas magnum was way cool, Living in paradise, driving a hot car and solving crimes and getting all the girls. Had a crush on Amanda also i must admit.
Thank you! They seem to be doing well. Amanda is having a very interesting career. I think that being an interior designer must be fascinating. She looks great, too.

It's good to know that they are both (Amanda and Larry) being smart and not just relying on getting jobs as actors. That is a very tough business. They are taking control of their careers and their lives, and not letting others do it all for them. That is a business full of rejection.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Michelle Pfeiffer isn't an old lady and is aging very well. Are you saying only attractive women can get roles???
Gaby Hoffman was indeed a child star but is grown up.
Christian Slater is a heck of a lot better actor than the ones masquerading as actors today.So again-why do we not see him. (not asking you specifically Enrico); as I would like to see what others think too.

there are a lot of actresses that get roles in movies,plays and tv even as they grow older. And thank goodness for that.
Michelle Pfeiffer is 54. In Hollywood ... that's old. Especially when your genre is romantic comedy. Only attractive women? No. But unattractive women have to be darn good actresses, and darn good lucky.Only a very few are. But why are we even talking unattractive in the same thought as Michelle Pfeiffer. No one said she was unattractive. Just that she's too old for the types of roles she was best known for.

Look, I love me some Christian Slater (Pump Up the Volume is one of my favorite ever movies). But a great actor, he's not. He's been through a few failed series lately, though. So he is working.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post

Michael Beihn who was in the orig Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss and Tombstone; not sure why he didn't get more roles, he was goodlooking, quite versatile, played both good guys and villains.

I always wondered why he didn't go farther too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities