Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

I have never, to my knowledge, had the flu. I have had a cold and cough - maybe once every 2 or 3 years - but no flu. I plan never to have a flu shot...and when I read articles like this one, it bolsters my resolve.

Insight: Evidence grows for narcolepsy link to GSK swine flu shot | Yahoo! Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 02:39 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You don't go to sources offered you just outright condemn them and only offer yours to support your invalid opinions. Talk about closed minded. All you can say when evidence is offered is that it is pseodu science or mythical even when the credentials of those challenging your claims are board certified. Your approach is "Im right and all the other experts are wrong."

The flu vaccines are very dangerous. They are causing the epidemics. See source which you will, I'm sure say is a lie. U.S. Flu Shots on Hold After Probe Into Australian Ban on Vaccine ...

http://www.foxnews.com/.../flu-shots...-ban-vaccine-c

Flu vaccines do not cause epidemics. The virus in the injection is inactivated. The virus in the nasal spray cannot survive except in the nose. Flu vaccines do not cause flu.

All I get from your link is "page not found".

The title did at least give me enough information to figure out what you are talking about.

The vaccine in question was from one manufacturer. use of it in children was suspended because of a higher rate of febrile seizures ( Febrile Seizures Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) )

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers - Febrile Seizures Following Childhood Vaccinations, Including Influenza Vaccination

The cause of the increased rate of seizures was never determined. I can find no reports of deaths from the vaccine. If you have a source, please provide a link.

There have been no reports of similar problems with current vaccines that I can find. If you have them, please provide a link.

Febrile seizures can occur with influenza (and other) infections:

Relationship between five common viruses and ... [Arch Dis Child. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Neurologic complications of influenza. [Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Neurologic and muscular complicatio... [Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Neurologic complications of influenza. [Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Pediatric Neurologic Complications Associated... [Pediatr Neurol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I have never, to my knowledge, had the flu. I have had a cold and cough - maybe once every 2 or 3 years - but no flu. I plan never to have a flu shot...and when I read articles like this one, it bolsters my resolve.

Insight: Evidence grows for narcolepsy link to GSK swine flu shot | Yahoo! Health
Just be sure you do not forget the risks of flu itself:

Neurologic complications of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09... [Neurology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Influenza-Associated Neurological Complications. [Neurocrit Care. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

You may choose not to take flu vaccine because of fear of a rare complication, but it's a bit like a military commander being so worried about one enemy soldier that he neglects the enemy army.

Influenza can cause severe, sometimes fatal, complications, even in young, healthy people.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Suzy_q2010
Don't know what happened to my reference source but, as you said, it didn't pull up when I tried. Here is some more:

Vaccine Court Judgements for Flu Shot Injuries | Dr. Tenpenny

U.S. Flu Shots on Hold After Probe Into Australian Ban on Vaccine for Children | Fox News

That is the Australian ban based on convulsions in 23 children. I stand corrected on death reports. Convulsions from vaccines is a very serious matter and causes me great concern. I would not want my child to incur those complications.

The other source lists many of the drug company settlements. I know there are nuisance suits, but when they start piling up it makes you have to wonder.

Your last post was not so adversarial and I appreciate that you did some sourcing on the opposite side of the issue. If you would like to continue dialogue on this matter with more openess
to both sides I would be willing to pursue it further with you, with more openess myself. I have found it helps to win more hearts and minds of others when I show respect for their beliefs
by not coming across as heavy handed. As you stated this is a important project for you.

I do believe this is probably not the best thread to continue this discussion. If you want to start a new one on the "Health & Wellness Forum" let me know the title and we can continue there.

Last edited by Pawporri; 01-22-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 05:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just be sure you do not forget the risks of flu itself:

Neurologic complications of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09... [Neurology. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Influenza-Associated Neurological Complications. [Neurocrit Care. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

You may choose not to take flu vaccine because of fear of a rare complication, but it's a bit like a military commander being so worried about one enemy soldier that he neglects the enemy army.

Influenza can cause severe, sometimes fatal, complications, even in young, healthy people.
We really don't know how rare such occurences are. What I do know for sure is that flu vaccines can cause illnesses in some circumstances. For over 40 years I have taken care of many who have had the flu yet I have never had the flu. I believe my chances of contracting the flu at this point to be pretty slim and not worth the risk that it could make me ill.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Don't know what happened but here is another reference.

Number of Influenza-Associated Pediatric

Most of the cases in your list were for Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)

You can get GBS from infection with influenza, too:

Guillain-Barré Syndrome and Influenza Virus Infection

While you are afraid of GBS from the vaccine, the risk of which is about 2 per million, influenza itself is harming far more people.

The faces of influenza:

Teen

Flu can be deadly, even in healthy kids - CNN.com

Family mourns high school athlete Max Schwolert who died from flu complications - NY Daily News

Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Number of Influenza-Associated Pediatric

Most of the cases in your list were for Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)

You can get GBS from infection with influenza, too:

Guillain-Barré Syndrome and Influenza Virus Infection

While you are afraid of GBS from the vaccine, the risk of which is about 2 per million, influenza itself is harming far more people.

The faces of influenza:

Teen

Flu can be deadly, even in healthy kids - CNN.com

Family mourns high school athlete Max Schwolert who died from flu complications - NY Daily News
Please re-read my post. I did some editions before your post.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We really don't know how rare such occurences are. What I do know for sure is that flu vaccines can cause illnesses in some circumstances. For over 40 years I have taken care of many who have had the flu yet I have never had the flu. I believe my chances of contracting the flu at this point to be pretty slim and not worth the risk that it could make me ill.
What we know for sure is that the cumulative complications from influenza are greater than the cumulative complications from the vaccine.

You can evaluate your own risk and make your own decision. That is what all of us do.

Not having had the flu in the past is no guarantee that you will not catch it ever. It would be unlikely for anyone to get it every year, but plenty of people who do get it never had it before.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Don't know what happened to my reference source but, as you said, it didn't pull up when I tried. Here is some more:

U.S. Flu Shots on Hold After Probe Into Australian Ban on Vaccine for Children | Fox News

That is the Australian ban based on convulsions in 23 children. I stand corrected on death reports. Convulsions from vaccines is a very serious matter and causes me great concern. I would not want my child to incur those complications.

The other source lists many of the drug company settlements. I know there are nuisance suits, but when they start piling up it makes you have to wonder.

Your last post was not so adversarial and I appreciate that you did some sourcing on the opposite side of the issue. If you would like to continue dialogue on this matter with more openess
to both sides I would be willing to pursue it further with you, with more openess myself. I have found it helps to win more hearts and minds of others when I show respect for their beliefs
by not coming across as heavy handed. As you stated this is a important project for you.

I do believe this is probably not the best thread to continue this discussion. If you want to start a new one on the "Health & Wellness Forum" let me know the title and we can continue there.
More children will have convulsions from flu itself than from the vaccine, since the vaccine in question is now not given to children at all. The type of seizure is common in children and rarely has long term consequences. Febrile seizures can occur any time there is a fever. That's why they are called febrile seizures. They are scary to watch, though. I remember one of my younger cousins having one right in front of me. You should not ignore the fact that flu can cause febrile seizures.

Your overall estimate of risk should be based on a determination of which is more dangerous, the flu or the vaccine. Flu is killing people. The vaccine is not. Flu is not a few days of snotty nose. It is sending people to hospitals. Some are ending up in ERs, some in ICUs, and some are dying. Most of the dead are elderly, but some are children and teens.

Health and Wellness does not want vaccine threads. There is a recent one in Great Debates and one in Politics and Other Controversies if you would like to read those. Both have been closed.

I feel strongly about this because the hard line anti-vaccine sites propagate myths --- and there is no other word for it --- that are not supported by the biology behind vaccines. Paramount among them is the insistence that any report of a complication from a vaccine means the vaccine is dangerous and no one should take it. Inevitably the anti-vaccine arguments deteriorate into conspiracy theories. The link between vaccines and mercury clearly does not exist, but the anti-vax sites still try to pretend that it does. They are in the uncomfortable position of not being able to accept the fact because accepting it and admitting they were wrong destroys their credibility entirely. What do you do when you have been preaching the evils of thimerosal all over the world and you find out it is not evil? You press on, shift the goalposts, say it must be something else in the vaccine, and desperately keep trying to vilify vaccines.

The fact is that vaccines have saved many millions of lives, complications do happen --- but rarely --- and the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks.

The flu vaccine is one of the least effective vaccines we have, but two thirds of the people who get it will be protected and very rarely will anyone have a serious complication from it.

I put my money where my mouth is. My family has been vaccinated for flu, including my two year old grand daughter and my pregnant daughter in law.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
O M G
I don't know why I bother clicking on this thread. I guess I keep thinking we're gonna talk about..........oh I don't know.............celebrities??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities