Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I echo this because I think it is a really good point. LindaVG also mentioned how she needs to take a break. I love Beyonce and consider myself a fan who saw her in concert and thought she was great but a few years ago, I was even getting sick of her and thought she needed to take a break.

Years ago, in say the 80s or 90s, artists would put out an album, release 3-5 singles, maybe that many videos (though only the really big ones had a lot of videos) then maybe tour for 6-8 months. When that tour was over, they took a break and we didn't not hear from them for several years when they finally released another album. By the time the new album came out, fans were excited because it had been a good while before we heard new music. There was no constant stream of singles from soundtracks and cameos on other artists singles, Xmas albums, fragrances and endorsements etc. There was a long break then they came back. And we welcomed them. Michael Jackson did this.

Nowadays, artists put out an album, do 5-9 videos, tour, put out more videos, are on other people's songs, then before you can take a breath, here is the next album, sometimes not even 2 years later! Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, they have done this and there is never a break.

I love Beyonce but she never, ever takes a break. And then on top of that is the endless stream of media output where we see them constantly. I truly think that creates the backlash.

We need a break. We need to miss you. We need to wonder about you so we can appreciate you when you come back.
I take it you've never heard of Mariah Carey? She had like 23 albums from 1990-99.

We're in the age of the internet, which seems to allow things to "bubble" longer. It's actually been almost two years since Beyonce last released an album, but it doesn't feel like it. Before that, it had been three years since the previous release.

I don't see how it could be said that Michael Jackson was any different. He released Thriller at the end of '82, and continued to release singles from that album, as well as compilation albums, all the way up until '87 when he came out with Bad. His exposure was almost constant, up until the mid '90s when hip-hop and teen bands took over.

Extremely popular media figures never really take a break from the spotlight glory. It pretty much continues until something stops it definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I take it you've never heard of Mariah Carey? She had like 23 albums from 1990-99.

We're in the age of the internet, which seems to allow things to "bubble" longer. It's actually been almost two years since Beyonce last released an album, but it doesn't feel like it. Before that, it had been three years since the previous release.

I don't see how it could be said that Michael Jackson was any different. He released Thriller at the end of '82, and continued to release singles from that album, as well as compilation albums, all the way up until '87 when he came out with Bad. His exposure was almost constant, up until the mid '90s when hip-hop and teen bands took over.

Extremely popular media figures never really take a break from the spotlight glory. It pretty much continues until something stops it definitely.
Michael Jackson only released an album every 5 years or so (no compilation albums in between) and he purposely tried to keep his exposure during the between-periods to a minimum. He never appeared on talk shows, he didn't do interviews, very rarely did photo shoots, almost never performed on award shows, only did 3 solo tours in his entire career, etc. On the rare occasions that he did make a public statement, he literally didn't say more than one or two sentences. His approach was extreme but it did keep the public fascinated with him. Whenever MJ did a major public appearance (Motown 25, the Grammies, Oprah, the Super Bowl) a massive number of people tuned in to watch - even those who didn't particularly like him - because it was considered to be something exclusive. The problem with so many artists today is that they lack this feeling of exclusivity. They lack mystique because they've allowed to let themselves be overexposed. The internet only exacerbates this problem.

Like I said, there are certain things outside of an artist's control and tabloid exposure is one of them - which is the kind of exposure MJ endured plenty during his breaks - but tabloids are quite easy for the general public to ignore.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Michael Jackson only released an album every 5 years or so (no compilation albums in between) and he purposely tried to keep his exposure during the between-periods to a minimum. He never appeared on talk shows, he didn't do interviews, very rarely did photo shoots, almost never performed on award shows, only did 3 solo tours in his entire career, etc. On the rare occasions that he did make a public statement, he literally didn't say more than one or two sentences. His approach was extreme but it did keep the public fascinated with him. Whenever MJ did a major public appearance (Motown 25, the Grammies, Oprah, the Super Bowl) a massive number of people tuned in to watch - even those who didn't particularly like him - because it was considered to be something exclusive. The problem with so many artists today is that they lack this feeling of exclusivity. They lack mystique because they've allowed to let themselves be overexposed. The internet only exacerbates this problem.

Like I said, there are certain things outside of an artist's control and tabloid exposure is one of them - which is the kind of exposure MJ endured plenty during his breaks - but tabloids are quite easy for the general public to ignore.
Michael Jackson released like 2 or 3 compilation albums, on top of his other 2 albums in the 80s. He also released like 5 albums in the 70s; two of which were released the same year.

Granted, MJ's successes were pre-internet, but I'm not seeing how his rate of exposure is considerably less than Beyonce's. She goes through drastic steps to protect her private life, and it's not as if she's featured on a great deal of other people's recordings, so how is she letting herself be overexposed? As I said before, it's simply life in the information age that's causing us to be over-stimulated.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Michael Jackson released like 2 or 3 compilation albums, on top of his other 2 albums in the 80s. He also released like 5 albums in the 70s; two of which were released the same year.

Granted, MJ's successes were pre-internet, but I'm not seeing how his rate of exposure is considerably less than Beyonce's. She goes through drastic steps to protect her private life, and it's not as if she's featured on a great deal of other people's recordings, so how is she letting herself be overexposed? As I said before, it's simply life in the information age that's causing us to be over-stimulated.
No, Michael Jackson did not release any compilation albums in the 1980s. You must be thinking of those (poorly selling and hardly publicized) Motown releases with "lost" MJ songs from the 1970s, lol.

I'll give you a few examples in which, in my opinion, Beyonce is letting herself be overexposed:

1) She releases singles and albums too shortly after each other. Take a look at her discography, there has literally not been a year since the start of her solo career over a decade ago that she wasn't on the charts. Beyonce has released four albums in just 8 years time (2003-2011) whereas I think she should take at least 3/4 years to really work on a quality product and have the public anticipating her next release.

2) She does WAY too many interviews and photo shoots (i.e. magazine covers) which dilutes her 'brand' and makes her less exclusive and interesting to the public.

3) She does not innovate herself (or her image) as an artist. There is no growth or change between the Beyonce of 2003 and the Beyonce of 2013. She looks the same, acts the same and makes the same kind of music she did a decade ago. Overexposure is more easily forgiven if the artist maintains interesting and 'new'.

4) She does too many high-profile public appearances in a row. Doing the President's inauguration and the Super Bowl in one month was a big mistake, let alone singing at the SB's press conference which was guaranteed to get a lot of media coverage.

Anyway, I feel that I have said what I wanted to say about Beyonce and falling into repetition now. I do agree with you that the 'information age' definitely plays a role in her overexposure, that's why I only focus on things that are within Beyonce's control.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
When Taylor Swift won an award and the person presenting it made a comment that Beyonce should have won it probably started her problem. That was beyond rude for him to do. I really was not a fan of either one of them but I felt Taylor Swift was treated so rudely that I could never warm up to the name mentioned that should have gotten the award.

So when I heard about the football game song not really being sung at that time, my first thought was, "I bet Taylor Swift would not have had to do that." In reality, maybe everybody does it that way for the sound quality. No feelings for her personally, I just don't like her biggest fan and I don't even remember who that was. I just figure that birds of a feather flock together. I want nothing to do with that flock.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Number one reason I hate her is because of that fiasaco in the hospital. I would have been fighting anyone who tries to keep me from seeing my kid. They try to blame it on the hospital, but that's crap.

I also think she is kind of full of it when it comes to the whole Destiny's Child situation. IMO, she screwed over the other members. Which is fine, not saying anything she did wasn't legal but don't try to act like your stuff doesn't stink.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
She releases singles and albums too shortly after each other. Take a look at her , there has literally not been a year since the start of her solo career over a decade ago that she wasn't on the charts. Beyonce has released four albums in just 8 years time (2003-2011) whereas I think she should take at least 3/4 years to really work on a quality product and have the public anticipating her next release.
And you are a A&R exec for which record label?

Quote:
2) She does WAY too many interviews and photo shoots (i.e. magazine covers) which dilutes her 'brand' and makes her less exclusive and interesting to the public.
Goodness not only are you an A&R but a senior exec for public relations as well? My how talented.

I bet her bank account is sorry that you don't represent her.

Quote:
3) She does not innovate herself (or her image) as an artist.
Not sure how one innovates oneself, but I feel you. After all just think of the rut that Aretha, Gladys Knight, Chaka Chan, Patti Labelle slipped into during their careers. You live and you learn.

By the by, speaking of Aretha, from 1961 1998 put out on average an album per year. That's 8 gold records in that time period.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
My personal problem with Beyonce is the same problem that I have with all contemporary female artist. The material and the production hide the fact that these women are superb vocalist. I just wish that Beyonce and others could have risen to prominence back in the day when songs were written to let the singers sing.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
Beyoncé "never taking a break" is one of the main reasons she's been so successful.

She never lets up

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
I don't like how she thinks she's Michael Jackson or self proclaims herself as the greatest or best of this generation. I don't hate her personally though.

I'm not a fan of her music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities