Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:41 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
People are just as critical of Lady Gaga and Britney Spears as they are of Beyonce. I never said all black people love Beyonce and don't criticize her, obviously they do. My point was 9 times out of 10 if it's a 'decent' black female celebrity, people will harp on the negative before they ever mention something positive about them. I see it enough times to where it's noticeable. Everything Beyonce does is wrong according to these people: she can't dress, can't speak, can't dance, can't sing, etc. When white female celebrities put forth a positive appearance or display their confidence it is accepted but not so for black female celebrities, it gets questioned as being phony or labeled with negativity. I don't remember anyone saying "Megan Fox/Reese Witherspoon were not really pregnant or secretly used a surrogate," because again whatever white female celebs put out there is accepted as is. I don't think Aretha would've sung at the press conference and I can't say what Madonna would or wouldn't do. She basically does anything these days.

Beyonce was recently featured on GQ as the sexiest woman or whatever they call it. Nothing but criticism is all I read, mostly from men. "She's not the sexiest woman, she's ugly, she's fat, hips too wide, too dirty/sexy, etc.'.....Kate Upton was featured on there and other magazines as well -- nothing but praise for her looks and 'legitimately sexy' demeanor. Far as I know, she's shown no talent for anything besides walking up and down a runway or posing with her big breasts out in every picture. But the public eats her up and can't stop featuring her & her 'beauty.'

edit: I want to add, lets say she does have bad speaking skills. What does that have to do with her talents?? Nothing. It's just another criticism to put out there as opposed to saying something decent about her because again, people's minds tend to go to the negatives first, at least where Beyonce & most other black female celebrities are concerned.

I don't expect you or anyone else to say these issues with Beyonce are race related. IMO, it's because it lurks in the background unbeknownst to most of the people that think this way. I'm not saying the public likes it, but they will readily accept the image of the black woman with boatloads of children and no display of wits or talents but the opposite, not so much. I'm not going to argue back and forth with you over it. If anyone wants to know what I think I stated it in these 3 posts and I'm leaving it at that. If you want to deny that this issue has to do with race, so be it and that is fine with me.
I think people are just harder on female celebrities in general, race has little do to with it for most people. Obviously Beyonce will attract more criticism because she is in the news all the time, it's hard to ignore her. You mentioned how people never seem to say anything negative about Reese Witherspoon but I think a large part of that is because she's not "in your face" all the time. I'm sure if she seemed to be on every magazine cover, every radio station, every talkshow, every commercial, every major national event, every awards ceremony, she would get on people's nerves too. Beyonce is overexposed. She needs to take a real break of about 5 years, give the public a chance to miss her, she will be much more appreciated when she comes back. But she won't do this because she is insecure.

White female celebrities who claim to be confident in themselves are also accused of being phonies, Lady Gaga is a prime example.

I don't think Beyonce is the sexiest woman alive, nowhere near it. She's just above average. I think many women can look as good as her if they had access to the best hair stylists and make-up artists and if their pictures were taken by professional photographers and then airbrushed. Have you ever seen pictures of Beyonce without make-up? Not impressive. I see tons of girls every day that are more naturally beautiful than her. Besides, Beyonce is not subtle or intriguing enough to be sexy. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

You're the one who brought up her speaking, not me

I think if you want to see this as a racial argument, you will find 'evidence' to support it. I don't agree with you that black female celebrities are given a harder time than white female celebrities (where were you when Britney had her meltdown? lol). In fact, I think Rihanna is not criticized enough for her lack of talent. She cannot sing, she cannot dance, she's not that attractive, she's not creative or original, what is her appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM

664 posts, read 855,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'm not talking about her accent when I say she's inarticulate, it's just the way she phrases things and the kind of (limited) vocabulary she uses. She just doesn't come across as intelligent. Usually celebrities get training in how to speak in public, at least that's how it used to be.

It's true that Beyonce is not the only celebrity who dresses poorly - far from it - but her clothes are just way too revealing and unflattering for my liking. Take that dress she was wearing at the SB press conference, it was way too short and looked weird on the back. Just not flattering:

I don't think Beyonce should have sung at the press conference at all, it seemed desperate. She should have just admitted, right when the "scandal" broke, that she lipsynced and leave it at that. Can you imagine Madonna or Aretha or someone like that doing this? Everyone knows she can sing, that was never the issue.

I don't think Beyonce is arrogant, she just comes across that way sometimes because she's not very articulate. For example, she recently said in an interview with GQ that "I've worked harder than anyone I know in the music industry". That sounds very arrogant but I don't think she meant it that way.

I'm sure there are some people for whom race plays a role in criticizing an artist but I don't think most people have these kind of motives. Besides, Beyonce receives plenty of criticism from black people too.

Edit: I clicked on that link to red carpet photos of Beyonce and pretty much every one of them has her breasts hanging out. That's what I consider dressing poorly (and she's not the only female artist who does that, I know that).

I don't like Beyonce, but i think she looked amazing in that dress. i respect your opinion though. i'm not gona argue you down about it like her fans, and stans would. LOL

ok, to answer the OPs question, I don't hate Beyonce, but i don't like her. It's because of things she's done. I don't like that she takes credit for work she hasn't done. it's like Beyonce girl, you did not write the music, so stop sayin' that you did LOL. i am an artist, so i have respect for other artist. if you call yourself and artist, there's no way you could do that to your fellow artists. that's why Beyonce STAYS being sued for this very cause.

also, i feel like Beyonce is one of the biggest deceivers in the music industry. there's something weird and her and Jay, that is not right. Beyonce is being exposed big time, and that's why people don't like her. they are finding out the truth about her. this is all i will say. take care!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

182 posts, read 186,613 times
beyonce sucks she does't write her own songs like fred durst or eminem

Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Another issue: What's the purpose for this sining at the Super Bowl Press conference? To prove she could sing? We know that, but why is she trying to prove that she sung at the Inguration? The voice we heard was not her live voice, it was a prerecorded track, end of discussion. Singers like her could probably get away with just coming out and saying she did, not only because of her super star image, but for the mere fact that she never users lipsync.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfan View Post
also, i feel like Beyonce is one of the biggest deceivers in the music industry. there's something weird and her and Jay, that is not right. Beyonce is being exposed big time, and that's why people don't like her. they are finding out the truth about her. this is all i will say. take care!
I agree with you there. Also I think her father has a lot to do with it as well. He just doesn't strike me as a nice person. When the did the Destiny's Child behind the scenes on VH1 they all talk about how he quit his job and would take them out of school to drive to competitions and made them rehearse for hours on end. He's Joe Jackson without the physical abuse.

And I don't think we'll ever really get the 100% true story about how Letoya & Latavia left/were fired from the group. I could totally see her control freak father having an issue with them seeking new management and feeling unhappy because their "group" was really a launching pad for Beyonce. They were coming off a huge success right when they were replaced so that whole "left because they were unhappy & I was heartbroken because these were my sisters" story just never worked for me. It could very well be true but I just don't see it.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think people are just harder on female celebrities in general, race has little do to with it for most people. Obviously Beyonce will attract more criticism because she is in the news all the time, it's hard to ignore her. You mentioned how people never seem to say anything negative about Reese Witherspoon but I think a large part of that is because she's not "in your face" all the time. I'm sure if she seemed to be on every magazine cover, every radio station, every talkshow, every commercial, every major national event, every awards ceremony, she would get on people's nerves too. Beyonce is overexposed. She needs to take a real break of about 5 years, give the public a chance to miss her, she will be much more appreciated when she comes back. But she won't do this because she is insecure.

White female celebrities who claim to be confident in themselves are also accused of being phonies, Lady Gaga is a prime example.

I don't think Beyonce is the sexiest woman alive, nowhere near it. She's just above average. I think many women can look as good as her if they had access to the best hair stylists and make-up artists and if their pictures were taken by professional photographers and then airbrushed. Have you ever seen pictures of Beyonce without make-up? Not impressive. I see tons of girls every day that are more naturally beautiful than her. Besides, Beyonce is not subtle or intriguing enough to be sexy. Of course, this is all just my opinion.

You're the one who brought up her speaking, not me

I think if you want to see this as a racial argument, you will find 'evidence' to support it.
I don't agree with you that black female celebrities are given a harder time than white female celebrities (where were you when Britney had her meltdown? lol). In fact, I think Rihanna is not criticized enough for her lack of talent. She cannot sing, she cannot dance, she's not that attractive, she's not creative or original, what is her appeal?

It's not about 'wanting' or 'not wanting' to see racial argument, I call things like I see them period. I could easily say the reverse to you. So that's moot. I have to LOL @ the reason you beleive people don't 'complain' about Reese Witherspoon. If that's what you want to go with, again, fine with me. You're going on about how the average woman compares to Beyonce without make up and I never talked about average women. For what it's worth I think every adult walking knows most women without make up look 'unimpressive,' and normal so that's not news. I also never said she was the 'sexiest woman in the world/alive,' so read again. I was simply stating that Beyonce is nowhere near as unattractive as people claim her to be. That's it. But like you just said to me -- people see what they want to see. Oh well.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Okay I'm sorry...you said "speaks well"...so you think she "speaks well" but she's not a good speaker. Makes perfect sense!

She speaks fine to me. Normal. Plain and simple. Not any better nor worse then the rest of these celebrities I've seen on the television. What's so hard to comprehend about that? I didn't know the general public was into analyzing how entertainers compare in the language department to Rhodes Scholars, but okay. News to me. I guess some of you spend time on that. Personally I don't require singers whose music I listen to or actors whose movies I watch to be doing anymore then that. I couldn't care less what kind of educational background they do or don't have. Go figure. If you're listening to someone's song or watching their movie, I don't know why you'd care so much either, it's irrelevant....

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 02-04-2013 at 05:41 AM..

Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I notice on the Internet that alot of people not just don't like her but personally HATE her . You would think she was kicking nuts and beating children. They usually call her non talented/ over sexualized/ not black enough/ fake / and the list goes on ? I mean it's one thing to not like a celeb but people seem to really hate her
Why do people hate Beyonce?

They do? I keep telling my friends I have to get out from under this rock I've been living under, I seem to miss a great deal!

Back OT, I don't hate her, I like her just fine.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
I have never loved Beyonce - I liked her fine but didn't really care one way or another - but after years of seeing so much venom directed at the girl for no real reason it's kind of pushed me into being more of a fan. I mean anytime she does ANYTHING its never good enough, people nitpick it apart and complain endlessly. Every comment section of every Beyonce article or thread is filled with beyotching. This latest round of Innaguration nonsense combined with the "fake pregnancy" brigade has finally put me over the edge. Some of this stuff just seems so irrational and mean to me. I don't know what it is about her that inspires so many people to be so mad at the girl all the time. Now I feel protective of her somehow.

She can sing, she's pretty, she's a good entertainer and she puts out some catchy songs. She works hard and seems nice. Let the girl breathe people! LOL

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I have never loved Beyonce - I liked her fine but didn't really care one way or another - but after years of seeing so much venom directed at the girl for no real reason it's kind of pushed me into being more of a fan. I mean anytime she does ANYTHING its never good enough, people nitpick it apart and complain endlessly. Every comment section of every Beyonce article or thread is filled with beyotching. This latest round of Innaguration nonsense combined with the "fake pregnancy" brigade has finally put me over the edge. Some of this stuff just seems so irrational and mean to me. I don't know what it is about her that inspires so many people to be so mad at the girl all the time. Now I feel protective of her somehow.

She can sing, she's pretty, she's a good entertainer and she puts out some catchy songs. She works hard and seems nice. Let the girl breathe people! LOL
good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities