Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times

Advertisements

I don't get the whole "overhyped" "overexposed" argument people toss out to hate on a celebrity. I mean, isnt that the job of a celebrity to gain hype and exposure? So she's doing a good job correct? She's not doing I by public intoxication or flashing the camera so why do people hate her?

No one wants to admit it but the public is tough on women, particular black ones. When she was all butt hips and legs people called her fat, most brothers I know thought she looked fine. So she slims down. Some geniuses still call her fat but those people are way out there. Maybe she has lightened her skin, she isn't the first but I've noticed that lighter skinned women have always been more accepted by the status quo then darker ones. So no surprise there.

She's doing whatever her publicist and handlers say to gain fame and fortune because she has to, that's her job. Think of her less as a person and more like a corporation. She's got executives and worker bees and a research team and a marketing dept and all of them are hellbent on winning fame and ultimately fortune.

Then maybe the hate won't hurt so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
She's a beautiful, talented woman.

Sadly, she is viewed as pretty much a good chunk/ piece of meat because of how she (and her handlers) has sold and dressed herself.

No man sees her as a person. Most see her as an opportunity to jack ***.

Sex sells, but be prepared to be cut with society's knife and then devoured.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,241,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't get the whole "overhyped" "overexposed" argument people toss out to hate on a celebrity. I mean, isnt that the job of a celebrity to gain hype and exposure? So she's doing a good job correct? She's not doing I by public intoxication or flashing the camera so why do people hate her?
No, artists should avoid overexposure because it hurts them in the long run. You don't want the public to get tired or bored with you. The only exception to this are celebrities who are famous for being famous (think Kim Kardashian) because their career depends on hype and exposure. Beyonce is clearly not in this category, she is genuinely talented. That's why I said she was insecure, as she is apparently not convinced her talent is strong enough - or her fanbase established enough - to be able to afford a break from the public.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
She speaks fine to me. Normal. Plain and simple. Not any better nor worse then the rest of these celebrities I've seen on the television. What's so hard to comprehend about that? I didn't know the general public was into analyzing how entertainers compare in the language department to Rhodes Scholars, but okay. News to me. I guess some of you spend time on that. Personally I don't require singers whose music I listen to or actors whose movies I watch to be doing anymore then that. I couldn't care less what kind of educational background they do or don't have. Go figure. If you're listening to someone's song or watching their movie, I don't know why you'd care so much either, it's irrelevant....
You're the one who brought up Beyonce's speaking "well" so if it's irrelevant than why did you even mention it? Oh..because you wanted to mention the conundrum of black who women speak well...excuse me black women who speak "normal"

And now that people disagree with you about Beyonce speaking "well"...oh I'm sorry "normal" you've decided it's not something worth spending time on or even caring about...even though you were the one who brought up her speaking.

Got it! Again makes perfect sense!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,611 times
Probably because she stands for all that they really hate: glitzy over makeuped deva with an ego the size of texas and marginally competent vocal skills who mostly just sings to show off her 'vocal noodling' than to actually create something beautiful for the audience.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,922 times
I don't mind her. She's pretty, she can sing and dance well enough. She'll never be on par with Whitney or Mariah IMO as far as her singing skills. I think a lot of celebrities are just marketing. I'm not hideous myself - I bet with professional makeup artists and hair dressers, someone picking out my wardrobe everyday, a personal trainer telling me how to work out and what to eat and with the right PR person I could dance around and be as good looking and famous as Beyonce. Same with Britney Spears. And I like both of them and I enjoy their songs for what they are, but I don't see either of them as being exceptionally talented. Like Kim K...she's not talented at all and yet there she is everywhere you look. It's just makeup and marketing.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
You're the one who brought up Beyonce's speaking "well" so if it's irrelevant than why did you even mention it? Oh..because you wanted to mention the conundrum of black who women speak well...excuse me black women who speak "normal"

And now that people disagree with you about Beyonce speaking "well"...oh I'm sorry "normal" you've decided it's not something worth spending time on or even caring about...even though you were the one who brought up her speaking.

Got it! Again makes perfect sense!

It's fine if people disagree with me about Beyonce speaking well. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with her speaking. That is MY opinion. You seem to have a problem with me disagreeing with those that think she does not speak well. Not the other way around. If at the end of the day you think she speaks terrible, okay, what's it to me? I'm not trying to get you to agree her speaking skills are reasonable, but you seem to think I am.

If it makes you sleep better at night because apparently you've lost ample sleep over Beyonce's speaking skills being so horrendous; whether you think she speaks bad and I think the opposite -- put a period and move on. She makes music either way.

The overall point of my entire original post was not the 'conundrum of black women who speak well.' That's the point YOU'RE choosing to harp on repeatedly because it's convenient for you. But if that's all you got from it & could comprehend, so be it. Go somewhere and get your life back already.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, artists should avoid overexposure because it hurts them in the long run. You don't want the public to get tired or bored with you. The only exception to this are celebrities who are famous for being famous (think Kim Kardashian) because their career depends on hype and exposure. Beyonce is clearly not in this category, she is genuinely talented. That's why I said she was insecure, as she is apparently not convinced her talent is strong enough - or her fanbase established enough - to be able to afford a break from the public.
So she should take a break from making millions from selling records, being asked to perform at the presidential inauguration and halftime at the superbowl and being the face and body for fashion and cosmetics companies before people get tired of her.

Maybe she'll take your advice and by the time she comes back her body won't be as tight and her voice not as strong but her legions of adorin fans won't care and her critics will overlook any flaws.

Sorry, that does not compute.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It's fine if people disagree with me about Beyonce speaking well. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing wrong with her speaking. That is MY opinion. You seem to have a problem with me disagreeing with those that think she does not speak well. Not the other way around. If at the end of the day you think she speaks terrible, okay, what's it to me? I'm not trying to get you to agree her speaking skills are reasonable, but you seem to think I am.

If it makes you sleep better at night because apparently you've lost ample sleep over Beyonce's speaking skills being so horrendous; whether you think she speaks bad and I think the opposite -- put a period and move on. She makes music either way.

The overall point of my entire original post was not the 'conundrum of black women who speak well.' That's the point YOU'RE choosing to harp on repeatedly because it's convenient for you. But if that's all you got from it & could comprehend, so be it. Go somewhere and get your life back already.
You are almost comical....lets try to follow what actually occurred in reality and not in your mind where you keep trying to insist that I have some type of obsession with Beyonce and losing sleep over her.

1.You said she speaks well.

2. Another poster said that Beyonce is one of the the last people that she thinks of in terms of speaking well.

3. I said I also pause when people say Beyonce is a good speaker.

4. You replied with "I didn't say she was a good speaker; I said she speaks well"...which I still don't see the difference but then you quickly changed it to "she speaks normal"

This process is called having a conversation. I'm not sure exactly what made you decide that once people start discussing the topic that you brought up that it was no longer irrelevant or why you keep questioning my comprehension skills (but I'll admit I still don't see the difference between being a good speaker and speaking well) but I was never really concerned about Beyonce or your opinion...I was trying to understand the varying degrees of "speaks well" vs "good speaker" vs "she talks normal" but at this point it's not even really important because I can see that you're just rude and I don't really enjoy talking to rude people.

And in response to your suggestion that I go somewhere and get my life back...um YOU were the one who responded to my post originally. I didn't quote you; wasn't even talking to you. So you have fun in your little realm of self-importance but as a helpful hint if you don't want people to respond to your comments you probably shouldn't post them in an online discussion forum...because people might actually, you know, discuss them.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM

It's easy:

Black people who have any kind of drawl oruse any slang are criticized for being ghetto and using ebonics. If they speak the King's English properly they are accused of acting white or forgetting where they came from. It is truly a no win situation unless you are a thug life gangsta rapper and try to avoid the latter label with a passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities