Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This makes me so happy!

As an aging Baby Boomer I grew up with Gomer Pyle.

Now I'm waiting for Beetle Bailey and Sarge to announce their engagement (Otto can be the ring bearer).
Well, Sgt. Lugg would be pretty angry at that......and why would Beetle want to marry someone who beats him up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
If he's happy, good for him. Don't really care one way or the other.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Congratulations!! 38 years is an awful long engagement.
There have been lots of couples who have been together for thirty and even forty years who are finally being able to make it "legal."

Wonderful!

Congratulations to the happy couple (although my first thought when I saw this was, "I thought he was dead!" )

Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I don't get this, just because someone famous does something suddenly your convictions come into question?
Who cares when, how, or why someone has their come to jesus moment as long as they have it. If it takes a celebrity to change folks minds for the better, so be it.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,789,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...YOU'RE talking about two guys doing that. The rest of us are just talking about them getting married without all the lurid details that seem to be fascinating you for some reason. It wasn't even necessary to go down that road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I guess he's left Sylacauga, Alabama for good!
wouldn't you?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,830 times
Geez- Mayberry must have been the gayest town in America. Goober, Gomer and I'm all but certain Howard Sprague were all gay. Didn't know Floyd was also.

They need to dig up Andy Griffith and give hims some type of GLAD award. Although as a native Carolinian it is odd to think of a town without any black people- but I guess TV was not ready for that.

I always remember that when my Italian grandfather saw me watching Gomer Pyle in reruns he would mention his singing every single time. I miss Mayberry- and Grandpa!

Hope the two of them enjoy their golden years- or platinum in Jim's case. Marrying at 82 is pretty optimistic!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Some hilarious lines in this (especially given today's news), however Gomer is as usual, proved correct. A salute to Jim Nabors!

Gomer Pyle USMC 330 - Lou-Ann Poovie Sings No More - YouTube

Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
No, actually it is. You're talking about two dudes doing things they were never meant to do together. So yeah, as bad as thinking about gramps and grandma would be, two dudes is a trillion times worse.

This Gomer news isnt some shocker. You could tell that guy wasnt completely right.
Funny that when I read the news, my first thought was "Good for them!"

What they do in the privacy of their home never entered my mind.

But, typically for the homophobes and bigots, it becomes more about their most private, intimate moments than it is about a committed, loving couple finally being able to marry.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Geez- Mayberry must have been the gayest town in America. Goober, Gomer and I'm all but certain Howard Sprague were all gay. Didn't know Floyd was also.

They need to dig up Andy Griffith and give hims some type of GLAD award. Although as a native Carolinian it is odd to think of a town without any black people- but I guess TV was not ready for that.

I always remember that when my Italian grandfather saw me watching Gomer Pyle in reruns he would mention his singing every single time. I miss Mayberry- and Grandpa!

Hope the two of them enjoy their golden years- or platinum in Jim's case. Marrying at 82 is pretty optimistic!
Andy Griffith said on more than one occasion that not having black people on Mayberry was his biggest regret because he grew up with lots of black people in his hometown of Mt. Airy, NC....which Mayberry was based on.

I chalk it up to Hollywood politics in those years.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
His life, his business. Hope he's happy.
It's a damn shame others made it their business and banned him and his husband from marrying at any time during last 38 years they've been together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities