U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 12,413,543 times

Advertisements

I caught this suddenly popular comedian on TV a few nights ago with his jeselnik offensive show. he is extremely wooden, creepy looking and makes wisecracks that are dark but not funny. I have noticed what seems like a trend of shock comedy that is like the 80's and 90's days of comedy but with no personality. Jason Ross and Tosh and Dane Cook seem to follow this rambling, dialect poking fun at serious issues but seem to lack humor. Tosh occasionally hits a funny one but is more of a color commentator with sick videos.

Anyone miss intelligent comics like George Carlin, Robin Williams and Bill hicks?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I caught this suddenly popular comedian on TV a few nights ago with his jeselnik offensive show. he is extremely wooden, creepy looking and makes wisecracks that are dark but not funny. I have noticed what seems like a trend of shock comedy that is like the 80's and 90's days of comedy but with no personality. Jason Ross and Tosh and Dane Cook seem to follow this rambling, dialect poking fun at serious issues but seem to lack humor. Tosh occasionally hits a funny one but is more of a color commentator with sick videos.

Anyone miss intelligent comics like George Carlin, Robin Williams and Bill hicks?
I place Lewis Black in the category of Carlin.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM

3,317 posts, read 7,253,255 times
You can throw a dart at Twitter and hid one of many, many "edgy" comics who are not funny, yet focus on their little internet zingers. Notice the klatch that serves to cross-promote and laugh at each other's middling efforts: Jeselnik, Bill Burr, Chelsea Peretti, Michael Ian Black, that gap toothed guy, Nick Kroll, etc.

They are all the same person.

Great comics are not active on Twitter, look at Louis CK and Brian Regan, they don't really engage in social media, but they are great, great comics.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:52 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,757,723 times
I totally disagree. And it's not a wave of wooden comedians, it's a wave of highly irreverent comedians that like to 'roast' and insult people and concepts. This wave includes Jeselnik, Amy Shumer, Jeff Ross, Seth McFarlane, Ricky Gervais, and many more. You could say they are all descendants of Don Rickles.

Jeselnik and Ross especially look at things as never before and are offensive in an equal-opportunity way.

The popularity of most of them is on the rise so get used to them. I think they are clever, playful and efficient with their words.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:54 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,019,755 times
I think they are using the medium of social networking for their comedy bits. Not so sure how funny they would be without the links and videos.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:29 PM

3,317 posts, read 7,253,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I totally disagree. And it's not a wave of wooden comedians, it's a wave of highly irreverent comedians that like to 'roast' and insult people and concepts. This wave includes Jeselnik, Amy Shumer, Jeff Ross, Seth McFarlane, Ricky Gervais, and many more. You could say they are all descendants of Don Rickles.

Jeselnik and Ross especially look at things as never before and are offensive in an equal-opportunity way.

The popularity of most of them is on the rise so get used to them. I think they are clever, playful and efficient with their words.

Their popularity is not on the rise. Look at ticket sales. The comics I mentioned sell out much larger halls and have bigger deals with HBO.

Twitter is free.

PS: Gervais is not a good stand-up whatsoever. And equating Jeff Ross with Don Rickles is all I need to hear.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM

10,892 posts, read 13,010,885 times
Jizzleneck is an unfortunate surname... Actually, that's probably why he's such a tool. lol

Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
IMHO, currently, the best comedian out there is Bill Burr.

Go to his site and download his latest show for $5 (yes 5 effing dollars! Same as a Happy Meal without the calories and the trans fat) and tell me he ain't funny!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM

355 posts, read 697,854 times
I miss Carlin and the Jesselnick douche is terrible. Making fun of Sandy Hook is off limits, I don't care if your show title has "Offensive" in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or