U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,002,347 times

Advertisements

One of her new songs on this album, called "***Flawless", which was previously released as "Bow Down" earlier this year that started controversy has the strongest feminist message on the album, and possibly of her career. When "Bow Down" was released earlier this year, many interpreted the continuous use of the phrase "bow down *******" as Beyonce telling other females to bow down to her. Turns out that was only one part of the song.

The rest of the song incorporates a sample of the TED talk "We Should All Be Feminists" by Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, saying:

"We teach girls to shrink themselves
To make themselves smaller
We say to girls
“You can have ambition
But not too much
You should aim to be successful
But not too successful
Otherwise you will threaten the man'
Because I am female
I am expected to aspire to marriage
I am expected to make my life choices
Always keeping in mind that
Marriage is the most important
Now marriage can be a source of
Joy and love and mutual support
But why do we teach to aspire to marriage
And we don’t teach boys the same?
We raise girls to treat each other as competitors
Not for jobs or for accomplishments
Which I think can be a good thing
But for the attention of men
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings
In the way that boys are
Feminist: the person who believes in the social
Political, and economic equality of the sexes
"

Followed by Beyonce implying women wake up flawless.

Another empowering song on the album is Pretty Hurts. A song with a message about what society tells women is acceptable and what is not. What is better and what isn't good enough. In the music video, Beyonce is asked "What is your aspiration in life?" She answers "My aspiration in life is to be happy." The most notable part of the song is when she sings "Perfection is the disease of a nation... It's the soul that needs surgery." At the end of the song, she sings "are you happy with yourself?" repeatedly, before signing "yes".

That is feminism.

How Beyonce took over the world:

An appropriately sparkly map of where people tweeted about the new Beyoncé album

Last edited by Austincool; 12-17-2013 at 12:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM

5,882 posts, read 4,407,357 times
People "hate on" other people all the time most of the time petty silly reasons. A lot of time it stems from jealously. Beyonce's winning at life...most of those who hate here are not thus there is jealousy. Beyonce is beautiful, talented, wealthy, and happy. Some people hate to see people happy.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,022,500 times
And on the other side of the "Beyonce"/feminist coin:

Why My Daughter Will Not Be Listening to “Beyonce.” Or Why I’m Going To Need the New Generation of Black Feminists Who Are Riding Hard for “Beyonce” to Have Several Seats | CocoaMamas.Com

Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,002,347 times
Yawn.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 AM

14,597 posts, read 20,405,054 times
I was blown away the other day when I heard on the radio that beyonce is a size 12 , I was like whoa really ? that is awesome so I am the same size as Beyonce ..wow that is awesome ...Yeah Im jumping up and down that someone in celebrity status is not a twig !!!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 AM

12,977 posts, read 12,875,534 times
Beyonce gives Walmart shoppers surprise of their lives

Old 12-22-2013, 04:09 PM

18,261 posts, read 20,150,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I was blown away the other day when I heard on the radio that beyonce is a size 12 , I was like whoa really ? that is awesome so I am the same size as Beyonce ..wow that is awesome ...Yeah Im jumping up and down that someone in celebrity status is not a twig !!!
I don't think that she is a 12; maybe a 6 or 8. But generally speaking, the obsession with being superskinny to be considered beautiful is mainly confined to one segment of society. Jennifer Lopez is also about a 6 or 8.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:11 PM

7,493 posts, read 10,379,157 times
Beyoncé is some kind of picture of black women when she's not even black.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 PM

12,977 posts, read 12,875,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Beyoncé is some kind of picture of black women when she's not even black.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:48 PM

17,700 posts, read 36,618,876 times
She's talented beyond words. She's also incredibly beautiful and poised, BUT, she's also married to a mogul. I was watching tv today and these women were going on and on and on about how she took charge of her career and released her album on her terms. I had to laugh. If she wasn't married to Jay-Z, she would be a pawn in the music business like most female singers. Beyonce would still have a great career, but she is who is she because of Jay-Z. It's not a bad thing either, but to make it sound like she's some entrepreneur is sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities