Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:13 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
So, since they actually had the cancer, doesn't that make since to have the surgery....not before?
Maybe Angelina didn't want to live with the constant fear of developing cancer, especially after seeing what it did to people close to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 02:15 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,542,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Having a masectomy can be very hard for women, you shouldn't trivialise it. Whether we like it or not, breasts are considered 'feminine' and having one or both of them removed can absolutely ruin a woman's self-esteem. I've seen it with my own eyes. I can't believe people are acting like it's no big deal.
I totally agree with this.......that would equate to a man having his johnson removed...That is devastating. But I also think that we are trivializing how serious going under the KNIFE is. Treating surgery like a hand shake is foolish......

Now because of her "celebrity" she's these starry eyed women thinking of doing the same thing!

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with this.......that would equate to a man having his johnson removed...That is devastating. But I also think that we are trivializing how serious going under the KNIFE is. Treating surgery like a hand shake is foolish......

Now because of her "celebrity" she's these starry eyed women thinking of doing the same thing!
She's not doing this for fun. She had a greatly increased risk of breast cancer (I believe it was over 80%) and she was not willing to spend her life living in fear. If other women in similar situations decide to value their health over their appearance, that is a wonderful thing.

It is her body and her decision. People who attack her over this have no sense of compassion or morality, in my opinion.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Christina Applegate (Kelly Bundy/Married With Children) had the same procedure done in 2008.

Christina Applegate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angelina values her life, and wants to be there for her children, so she took preventative measures before cancer ever had a chance to start.

Not sure why people would criticize her for wanting to live a long and healthy life?
Applegate had cancer.........Jolie does not. Do you stop driving for fear of an auto accident? Do you not have children for fear that one could grow up to be a Hitler? Do we stop eating for fear of chemicals? Fear.....fear seems to be the driving factor here. And that is never a good way to make decisions.....

Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
I don't consider her brave for having the surgery. I consider her brave for being so public and outspoken (in a sober and matter-of-fact op-ed in the Times) on an issue that affects millions of people. She certainly could have had everything done and not said a thing in public.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't consider her brave for having the surgery. I consider her brave for being so public and outspoken (in a sober and matter-of-fact op-ed in the Times) on an issue that affects millions of people. She certainly could have had everything done and not said a thing in public.

Which I think would have been better. At least then, she's not influencing women to go chop off perfectly healthy body parts.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
She's not doing this for fun. She had a greatly increased risk of breast cancer (I believe it was over 80%) and she was not willing to spend her life living in fear. If other women in similar situations decide to value their health over their appearance, that is a wonderful thing.

It is her body and her decision. People who attack her over this have no sense of compassion or morality, in my opinion.
80 is not 100........ And how many doctors told her this? Seeing her mom die of cancer is scary. But being "scared" makes us rash, hasty, .....we think that we actually control our fate! And we don't.

And as far as my compassion and morality are concerned, you don't know me.....and I don't know you.

Since when did "I disagree with you" equate to "I don't love or care for you" ???

I wish this woman the best. But I disagree with this decision. It's simple.

And since she put her biz out here, I can have an opinion on it....just like you.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
80 is not 100........ And how many doctors told her this? Seeing her mom die of cancer is scary. But being "scared" makes us rash, hasty, .....we think that we actually control our fate! And we don't.

And as far as my compassion and morality are concerned, you don't know me.....and I don't know you.

Since when did "I disagree with you" equate to "I don't love or care for you" ???

I wish this woman the best. But I disagree with this decision. It's simple.

And since she put her biz out here, I can have an opinion on it....just like you.
You want this woman to put her life at risk just because you like looking at women's breasts. If that's not lacking compassion, I don't know what is. She has an almost 90% chance of developing a very dangerous form of breast cancer that killed her mother and grandmother at a young age, and you want her to wait until she has cancer before she does something about it? You do know there's a good chance she might die from it, right? Why on earth would she take that risk when she doesn't have to? If you know that when you get in a car, there is a 90% chance of getting into a serious (possibly lethal) car accident, would you take that risk if other means of transportation are readily available? If so, you are simply irresponsible. The only reason you want women to keep their breasts is for vanity's sake and I am glad that Angelina decided to put her health before her appearance. I hope she inspires other women in similar situations to do the same.

We do have some control over our fate. If you can reduce the chance of getting cancer from 87% to 5% without losing any vital organs or bodily functions, you'd be crazy (or suicidal) not to do it.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Quote:
Maybe Angelina didn't want to live with the constant fear of developing cancer, especially after seeing what it did to people close to her.
We all have people close to us who suffer and die. That's part of life. Jolie is a rich and materialist Hollywood type..who's faith is in what money can by...She did not have a fear of developing cancer...She had the common fear of death. She will age...she will have ill health and she will perish like all of us. She is attempting to extend her life...good luck to her if she can slow down the process of dying...but non the less it will take place no matter how she attempts to stall the inevitable.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Jolie is a rich and materialist Hollywood type..who's faith is in what money can by...She did not have a fear of developing cancer...She had the common fear of death.
Jolie is wealthy and has nice things. You don't know that she is materialistic. I've known poor people who are much more materialistic than rich people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities