U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/op...oice.html?_r=2

Wowzers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
I was just watching an item about it on TV just now.

I think it is wonderful she has come out with the news and very "brave" in a way for a woman whose livelihood relies on her physical attributes.

She is obviously very level headed and quite a strong woman and though I don't think much of her as an actress and do not care for her films I think that is quite a good thing for her to make it public and hopefully it might help other women facing this terrible dilemma.

Considering the brood of kids her and Pitt have I suppose the decision might have been made slightly easier for her.

All the best for her, it must an absolutely horrendous decision to make for any woman.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,705,128 times
Kuddos for putting her life first. That's what more people should do. Too bad this type of surgery is too expensive for most women...

Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,968,048 times
While I am no fan of Jolie I think that she made the right decision for herself and her family. Knowing that you carry that gene gives you choices that can save your life.

I agree that she is a strong and confident woman but, I think that she is a strange bird.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
Lots of women have this surgery over here lately so it's not a novel thing. Breast cancer is a killer and most treatments don't work, chemo makes it worse in most cases; so I'd rather have no breasts than die like that. My grandmother died of breast cancer in the 70's while, there were no choices back then. If your chances of getting breast cancer are as high as hers were, you have two choices.
Breasts alone don't make a woman. Too many are scared of losing their femininity but I think your life is more valuable and the only ones making it a big issue are mostly the men.
She is a strange bird at times but she does what she wants and needs to do for herself and that's what more people should do. I think she's an interesting person. Sometimes goofy or kooky but she's not hurting anyone with it.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM

523 posts, read 505,529 times
Default Angelina Jolie breast cancer scare

I'm a male, and I'm proud of the fact that Angelina reported that she had a double breast mastectomy. She reported that she has the gene that increases the risk of her getting breast and ovarian cancer. Hopefully more women will get checkups and make important decisons that will save and/or prolong their lives.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,197,977 times
Sorry, but that woman is a lunatic

Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I'm a male, and I'm proud of the fact that Angelina reported that she had a double breast mastectomy. She reported that she has the gene that increases the risk of her getting breast and ovarian cancer. Hopefully more women will get checkups and make important decisons that will save and/or prolong their lives.
It is a very difficult choice for a woman to do this, And I commend her bravery and hope she is on the mend really soon. I think Angelina is a great woman who has done a lot for charitable causes. Hope to see her back on the big screen soon!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times
she's going to have a hysterectomy as well. Same issue--the genetic connection.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM

15,636 posts, read 14,692,108 times
I'm not a fan of Jolie's movies (the exception being "Girl, Interrupted") but I do have to compliment her on making such a tough decision. It was very brave and IMO, the right thing to do. Most of us can make such decisions and remain very private about it. Jolie has very little privacy and I applaud her willingness to make it public and talk about it. Good for her and best wishes, too.

One of my friends made that decision about 20 years ago. She and her sister both had the surgery because they both carried the gene. I truly believe that they are both still around thanks to the decisions they made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities