U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM

9,430 posts, read 11,663,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
They are not hispanic. Charlie's father Martin was born Francisco Estévez Martinez to an Irish mother and a father who was from Galicia, Spain. His father uses the stage name Martin Sheen. He adopted his stage name, Martin Sheen, from a combination of the CBS casting director, Robert Dale Martin, who gave him his first big break, and the televangelist archbishop, Fulton J. Sheen.

Charlie's mother is of English and Scottish ancestry.

Spanish to me are just Europeans and Charlie is only a quarter Spanish anyway.

What is the definition of Hispanic for Americans?
From Latin America, so definitely not Hispanic or Latino.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 PM

9,430 posts, read 11,663,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
So MORTENSEN was her maiden name? Hmmm, I'd only heard of Baker but I also knew of her other married names too.
It's confusing. Off the top of my head, and I may have this wrong, she had 2 maiden names. On the birth certificate she was Mortenson, then her mother changed it to Baker after one of her husbands...I don't think Marilyn ever knew for sure who her real father was. Her mother was very troubled. It's believed that her real father may have been a man with the surname of Griffin or Griffith? Can't remember his name but he is a descendent of the Borden Family of New England (as in Lizzy). I am, as well, which is the only reason I know this. LOL. Willie Nelson is also a descendant through the Keith family...blah, blah, blah...this belongs on the genealogy board.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 AM

24,186 posts, read 20,872,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's confusing. Off the top of my head, and I may have this wrong, she had 2 maiden names. On the birth certificate she was Mortenson, then her mother changed it to Baker after one of her husbands...I don't think Marilyn ever knew for sure who her real father was. Her mother was very troubled. It's believed that her real father may have been a man with the surname of Griffin or Griffith? Can't remember his name but he is a descendent of the Borden Family of New England (as in Lizzy). I am, as well, which is the only reason I know this. LOL. Willie Nelson is also a descendant through the Keith family...blah, blah, blah...this belongs on the genealogy board.
Thanks, TXNGL. Yes, I am familiar with the Borden family.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,226,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
ha--great post. I was talking to someone about this very topic yesterday. I said I was surprised at some of the choices some actors make,seeing as how they have more money than they could ever spend. Was wondering why some get wrapped up in that certain "cult".
My friend,with her infinite wisdom, pointed out most actors are no doubt not Mensa material. They are told what to do,when to do it and how to do it. Basically she said most of them are morons.
Oh, I would love to see a list of celebs and how well they did in school. I know someone who went to school with a Seinfeld personality who he said was dumber than a doornail.

I think, though, it would just be more incentive for some kids to not study hard.

Eva Longoria just got her Masters Degree. She majored in Chicano Studies. Really? I remember a kid from France in my school who took French class. We were marked on a curve and kids were resentful that he was skewering the results.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,226,191 times
Quote:
They are not hispanic. Charlie's father Martin was born Francisco Estévez Martinez to an Irish mother and a father who was from Galicia, Spain. His father uses the stage name Martin Sheen. He adopted his stage name, Martin Sheen, from a combination of the CBS casting director, Robert Dale Martin, who gave him his first big break, and the televangelist archbishop, Fulton J. Sheen.

I always thought of Hispanic as people who speak the Spanish language. I think of Latinos as people of Latin(South and Middle)America.

If Latino referred to the language because it is of Latin origin, you'd have to include people of other countries.

Don't ask me about Chicano. I don't know where that fits in or the derivation of the term.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM

14,323 posts, read 20,270,140 times
Good for him. Who cares?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,682,762 times
Quote:

What? Hispanic to me means Spanish speaking. Definition of Hispanic in Oxford Dictionaries (US English) (US) You can be Hispanic and be black from the Caribbean, or a native American/Indigenous person from Mexico, or of Middle Eastern Descent like Carlos Slim and Shakira. There are white hispanics, black hispanics, Asian hispanics, native hispanics and everything in between.

In fact, some of the white hispanics could teach white Americans a thing or two about racism. They probably watch some of our injustices and are like "Pfft...amateurs."
Here are some pictures of a couple of "hispanics" I like:

Paulina Rubio La chica Dorada Mexico

Kazzabe from Honduras

Alberto Fujimori, ex president Peru

As you can see, they are very diverse, and this is just on our continent. When I was studying in Mexico, I found out there is a sizeable population of Japanese who are Latin American. I just read a story on CNN with bits of an interview with Martin Sheen. He said that he used to be discriminated against because of his name. I guess that is why he chose a stage name.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM

10,062 posts, read 10,428,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
[/b]

Lest we forget, these are people who make a living pretending to be someone else, who earn millions by memorizing scripts and being told where to stand, when to stand, how to stand, how to walk, talk and chew gum. They don't have a personal image, they have the image du jour that was dictated by a script, a director, and a PR person. And yet people actually believe we should listen to their august opinions on all things spiritual, political, parental, and on life in general. We are an odd species, we humans.

Would that include "reality stars"?

Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,791,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
[/b]

Lest we forget, these are people who make a living pretending to be someone else, who earn millions by memorizing scripts and being told where to stand, when to stand, how to stand, how to walk, talk and chew gum. They don't have a personal image, they have the image du jour that was dictated by a script, a director, and a PR person. And yet people actually believe we should listen to their august opinions on all things spiritual, political, parental, and on life in general. We are an odd species, we humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Would that include "reality stars"?
Good heavens, yes. My point, which really was relevant to the OP's question, was that this is a group of people who do what they are told, which includes being instructed to change their names. Even a new actor will consult with numerous PR and Agency people to determine a "marketable" name. This is no different than Kentucky Fried Chicken changing its name and slogans for foreign country distribution. They are a commodity. Notice as well -- If the wind changes and their previous name is suddenly "in" again, some will change it back, as Charlie Sheen has done for this new project.

It's all smoke and mirrors and if changing their name helps their business, oh well. It's what they do. No big surprise there. As someone pointed out, Marilyn Monroe (aka Jean Baker etc) changed her name not only for fame, but, like most women, for marriage. Marilyn Monroe evokes a completely different emotion and is a pleasing name to the ear. All soft and round consonants, just like sweet Marilyn. It fit her well.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:21 PM

64,699 posts, read 61,021,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez.

Whut? I'm sure all you savvy Hollywood types knew this already. Apparently Charlie Sheen is going to use his real name: Carlos Estevez in his next movie.

Introducing Carlos Estevez: Charlie Sheen ditches stage name for first time and goes with Latino roots for upcoming Machete Kills | Mail Online
I'm not a savvy Hollywood type, but I certainly knew his last name was Estevez. That was never a secret, even before Emilio popped up as an actor and used his father's real surname.

The only thing I hadn't known until he was on an episode of Who Do You Think You Are is that it's pronounced "Es-TEE-vez". I'd always assumed the accent was on the first syllable (I never saw it written with the accent mark as you did above.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities