U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM

5,373 posts, read 6,247,735 times
Ummmm....maybe this has been mentioned before, but watch BET sometime. Seems every other word is the N Word, but they say all the letters, not just N. Ok for them, but not the rest of us
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,993,551 times

Paula Deen Is One Delicious Racist | "Deon Cole's Black Box" on TBS - YouTube

Old 06-22-2013, 04:59 PM

20,680 posts, read 7,246,889 times
No offence but if i'm right this is all about her saying she used racial slurs years ago?? Why are people making a fuss about that? Who cares!

I think its childish that a firm like that would dump her because of that.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 PM

20,680 posts, read 7,246,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What a shame and what cowards at the Food network! Pretty sad when a person can't speak their mind. It's getting damn old that only whites are racists, time for a reality check is this country !
Exactly. Sick of it.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM

15,752 posts, read 16,326,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Jambo: Savannah cannot -- no city can -- close down a restaurant unless it violates local health department rules, state liquor laws, or is a den of vice, drugs especially.

My Savannah relatives (I grew up there) believe that Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons will survive. But "the Lady" herself is probably finished as a national spokesperson and media star. A public potty mouth and racial slurs are not acceptable in most professions except (male) sports and (male) pop music. Many male athletes and rap artists are treated with kid gloves. Prostitution, adultery, drugs, racial slurs, assault on other athletes, it's all pardoned here in the U.S. and other countries. It's a question of big-dollar contracts and mostly young male fans, so anything goes. But not for other media figures. For me, Deen is much more small-town southwestern Georgia (where she's originally from) than Savannah, Georgia. Her salty language and racial epithets are those of a not very well educated older woman from the rural South. And a plantation-themed party with "slave" servants? That is right out of the 1950s South, not the 21st century. I was taught in my Savannah family never to use racial slurs (I'm white), and most of my white Savannah neighbors in the 1960s and 1970s did the same with their kids. This is just not acceptable, and for Deen's sake I hope she can make a comeback. But she'll have to work slowly and very hard to regain people's respect in the food world. For now, she's done.
My mother was born in Savannah, Georgia! So she's not so much of a "weirdo of a southerner" as other posters on this thread would think.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,994,066 times
This is like that DC budget chief a few years ago who was fired for using n-igg-ardly correctly but the blacks thought he was phrasing a version of ****** and so out he went.

Even the asterisk cover here is PC so I had to break up the word.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,993,551 times
I am offended by rap music using the F word repeatedly. Can I sue rappers?

Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nope. Not the equivalent. Answer my previous questions.

Is it okay to hire Jewish people to wear gas masks for my holocaust themed party? All in good fun! Historical accuracy!

Can I have my Asian friends pour ketchup all over themselves and play dead Cambodians for my Pol Pot party?

If people get mad at me, or think less of me for doing it, have they violated my free speech?

If I get fired from my high profile, public position afterwards... does it make sense why?
I see what you mean, but they are hiding from it.

Reenacting a historical event for a movie or a play in order for people to UNDERSTAND AND LEARN FROM IT is a lot different than making a PERSONAL CELEBRATION out of something like slavery or the holocaust at your wedding or party.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Not sure if anyone has already posted Deen describing her father killing himself from loosing the "workers" and life as they knew it on the plantation changing. She goes on to say that she has a friend that is black as the board. TMZ has it. Paula Deen -- Meet My Black Friend ... If You Can See Him! | TMZ.com

Not sure if I believe Deen to be racist to the extent of condoning the KKK. Ignorant and old South yes, full blown racisit not so sure. Can't believe she confessed and why she allowed there to even be a deposition, she should have settled the case like most celebs do out of court.

No one should be surprised that people think the way Paula does and or worse. This forum and comments by many posters prove the insensitivity that still exist. No one is saying that whites should be feel guilty for oppressions from the past but at least live in the current and be respectful. If people like Paula wouldn't say and do such stupid things then there would be no need for an apology.

At least I know where her recipes came from, the "help" of course
Actually this is the HARSHEST attack on Paula of all: accusing her of being the ultimate fake and not even writing her own recipes! Whew! MEAN!

Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM

13,321 posts, read 29,644,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I doubt there is anyone in the USA older than 14 who has not used racial slurs at one time or another.

Her discovery came out due to a deposition, not as if she were another Marge Schott(sp?)
Yeah, everyone makes mistakes, and she got caught.

I don't like much anything about her (food, tastes, etc) but yeah, she got caught. Not saying what she said was okay, it was not. But there are a lot of supposedly angelic people out there who simply were not recorded when they uttered a slur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities