U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,289,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's also alleged that Jackson told Deen she would go to the press, if Deen didn't pay her a lot of money, too. Plenty of allegations being tossed around. I'm not saying Deen is innocent of saying such things but it would be wrong to simply believe the comments of someone with motive for causing trouble. I think this is going to court, too. It's just pathetic that this is what's become of this country.
Well, Paula Deen herself admitted to ALL of the allegations so there really is no need to speculate....

Lawyer: Have you ever used the N-word yourself?
Deen: Yes, of course.
Lawyer: Okay. In what context?
Deen: Well, it was probably when a black man burst into the bank that I was working at and put a gun to my head.
Lawyer: Okay. And what did you say?
Deen: Well, I don't remember, but the gun was dancing all around my temple ... I didn't -- I didn't feel real favorable towards him.
Lawyer: Okay. Well, did you use the N-word to him as he pointed a gun in your head at your face?
Deen: Absolutely not.
Lawyer: Well, then, when did you use it?
Deen: Probably in telling my husband.
Lawyer: Okay. Have you used it since then?
Deen: I'm sure I have, but it's been a very long time.
Lawyer: Can you remember the context in which you have used the N-word?
Deen: No.
Lawyer: Has it occurred with sufficient frequency that you cannot recall all of the various context in which you've used it?
Deen: No, no.
Lawyer: Well, then tell me the other context in which you've used the N-word?
Deen: I don't know, maybe in repeating something that was said to me.
Lawyer: Like a joke?
Deen: No, probably a conversation between blacks. I don't -- I don't know. But that's just not a word that we use as time has gone on. Things have changed since the '60s in the south. And my children and my brother object to that word being used in any cruel or mean behavior. As well as I do.

Lawyer: What about jokes, if somebody is telling a joke that's got --
Deen: It's just what they are, they're jokes.
Lawyer: Okay. Would you consider those to be using the N word in a mean way?
Deen: That's -- that's kind of hard. Most -- most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target -- I don't know. I didn't make up the jokes, I don't know. I can't -- I don't know.
Lawyer: Okay.
Deen: They usually target, though a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know, I just don't know. I can't, myself, determine what offends another person.

Lawyer: Do you recall using the words “really southern plantation wedding”?
Deen: Yes, I did say I would love for Bubba to experience a very southern style wedding, and we did that. We did that.
Lawyer: Okay. You would love for him to experience a southern style plantation wedding?
Deen: Yes.
Lawyer: That’s what you said?
Deen: Well, something like that, yes. And -–
Laywer: Okay. And is that when you went on to describe the experience you had at the restaurant in question?
Deen: Well, I don’t know. We were probably talking about the food or –- we would have been talking about something to do with service at the wedding, and –-
Lawyer: Is there any possibility, in your mind, that you slipped and used the word “n----r”?
Deen: No, because that’s not what these men were. They were professional black men doing a fabulous job.
Lawyer: Why did that make it a -– if you would have had servers like that, why would that have made it a really southern plantation wedding?
Deen: Well, it –- to me, of course I’m old but I ain’t that old, I didn’t live back in those days but I’ve seen the pictures, and the pictures that I’ve seen, that restaurant represented a certain era in America.
Deen: And I was in the south when I went to this restaurant. It was located in the south.
Lawyer: Okay. What era in America are you referring to?
Deen: Well, I don’t know. After the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War.
Lawyer: Right. Back in an era where there were middle-aged black men waiting on white people.
Deen: Well, it was not only black men, it was black women.
Lawyer: Sure. And before the Civil War –- before the Civil War, those black men and women who were waiting on white people were slaves, right?
Deen: Yes, I would say that they were slaves.
Deen: But I did not mean anything derogatory by saying that I loved their look and their professionalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,481,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
she should of known better 20 years ago.
Your right, but it was 20 years ago. To penalize her for something she said 20 years ago I feel is absolutely absurd. People change, yes, she should have known better because she certainty was no kid back then, but think of the thousands of people who use racist terms everyday?

I have an issue that when someone White uses the N word against African American's, the media goes into chaos, yet when African American's use it against themselves, it's okay.

No, I'm not completely white either.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,735,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes, people are free to say whatever they wish....they simply must accept the consequences for that freedom.

And by the way, 2007 was not 20 years ago....

Jackson alleged that while Deen was planning her brother’s 2007 wedding, she said of the waitstaff, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little [N-words] to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties...now that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

Exactly!

She doesn't come across as a very intelligent person in these articles.
Savvy enough to get rich through her cooking ability and personality. perhaps, but not really that smart otherwise.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:53 PM

6,682 posts, read 11,908,175 times
I think the whole thing is stupid. Did she say the word yesterday, last week. I don't even want to read the article. The USA is so self righteous and judgemental to begin with. It's as if one has to walk on egg shells with people. I have heard that word on public transit so much by black kids that I get up and move. Its disgusting and I agree she should not have said it, but there is more to this. Its the media looking for another story to push on us and make a big story out of nothing. To ruin yet another person. Food Network you can kiss my grits, because I'm not watching your dumb channel again. There was no reason to fire Paula Deen. You think she had committed a murder or something. I no longer trust the media in this country. I'm sorry but its ridiculous. Its another example of Watch Dog America. When are all these prim and proper people going to come into our homes and film and tape what we say. Enough is Enough. Apologize and get on with life. I don't hear much of anything said when people use the F word, and its said alot more than the N word. Get over it.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,328,551 times
Good. Hopefully younger people will read about this and realize the things you say can absolutely come back to haunt you. Even more important today when everything you say and do gets put out there for the world to see.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM

42,262 posts, read 49,809,717 times
You can only be sarcastic and derogatory towards the acceptable things, like Texas, people who enjoy BBQ, and people who watch Real Housewives.

Everyone else is off limits.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,140,673 times
Is this the third or fourth thread about this? Their loss and she will be just fine.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 PM

13,496 posts, read 13,983,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Your right, but it was 20 years ago. To penalize her for something she said 20 years ago I feel is absolutely absurd. People change, yes, she should have known better because she certainty was no kid back then, but think of the thousands of people who use racist terms everyday?

I have an issue that when someone White uses the N word against African American's, the media goes into chaos, yet when African American's use it against themselves, it's okay.

No, I'm not completely white either.
20 years ago was well past the time when she should of known better. as calipoppy pointed out the wedding she was planning was in2007.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM

11,795 posts, read 9,721,360 times
It's silly; I'm sure nearly every white Southerner in her age group has used the N-word at some point in their life. I read excerpts of her transcript up on NPR's website; nothing she stated appeared too outrageous. If anything she should've been fired for contributing to America's obesity problem with her disgusting food.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,350,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Justice" has absolutely nothing to do with the issues and is amazing to me for anyone to call a corporation "cowardly" for cutting a business liability. Yes dollars take precedence! Dollars are what they are in the business to make. There business is not to give away cooking tips for free, there business is to put people on the air who viewers will like and respect so that they can turn around and sell ad time based upon the how many viewers like and respect the person that they are broadcasting. Why this needs to be explained to anyone is a recurring mystery.
Spare me the corporate screed. I don't really need Business 101 explained to me at my age. I still see this as corporate cowardice and yet another sign that honor and loyalty fall far behind profits in the pecking order and it's yet another sign of what's going wrong. Why, why this needs to be explained to anyone is a recurring mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities