U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,991,632 times

Advertisements

Who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:16 PM

10,357 posts, read 9,464,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so they were not healthy, we all know southern cooking isn't going to win the "healthy alternative" contest, but that has nothing to do with her being dropped and if you never watched her, how do you know about her recipes, other than hear say?
I haven't subscribed to cable in a couple of years so I haven't seen her show. I do, however, have local channels and she's been on quite a few of those and shared some of her recipes. No need to smack your head in disbelief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well, Paula Deen herself admitted to ALL of the allegations so there really is no need to speculate....
True. She did admit it. Maybe that's where she made her mistake. She should take a lesson from our politicians ... Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM

6,455 posts, read 6,472,673 times
Yes she should have denied...but she was honest...a rarity in today's world...and look where it got her...

Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM

6,455 posts, read 6,472,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benoist View Post
Your famous announcer Marv Albert was forgiven for biting a lady, surely Paula Deen will be back on the waves of air shortly. After a short and suitable period of waiting.
Nah not in the USA...get caught being white saying the n word...stick a fork in ya...done

Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,482,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What makes you think that its OK. Most of the Black people that I know are not OK with the use of the N-word AT ALL. So, no, White people can't say it and you do not get a pass....you get taught a lesson.

But again, it was allegedly 20 years ago. People make mistakes, why dwell on her mistakes?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,159,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Nah not in the USA...get caught being white saying the n word...stick a fork in ya...done
Time for her own show on another network. Did she do this on purpose to get them to fire her? Spunky lady. Who watches the food network anyway? The only time I have ever watched it is at the doctor's office. Then it was not a matter of my choice. There was no remote that I could see.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,589,782 times
Most organizations get people to resign instead of fire them like they did. I think the reaction would be a bit different had things been done differently. As far as her deposition, it did ask if she EVER used the N word. She grew up in what used to be such a segregated part of the country and frankly, a lot of people did and said things during a time when it was acceptable for them to do so. Does it make it right? No, but how would they have known it if that was generally accepted behavior then? It is odd to me that first of all, an answer in a deposition would be public, but also that it being honest as to if she EVER had used it, is basically saying that if she had lied that it would have been acceptable. I find it commendable that she gave the honest answer which she really had to.

I think that Paula made the Food Network and brought personality to a group of chef's that aren't so approachable. It wasn't necessarily about the food, but just how personable she was. Perhaps it was just her time to retire anyway, but I think it is horrible for her to be looked at the same way you would judge someone who said the N word today. The south is the south. I am certain that there are many more higher profile people who said things that they regret today. Times were just different. I am grateful I grew up outside of those times so that I never have to look back on things like that, but she or anyone else shouldn't be made to feel horrible about decisions they made during a time when those things weren't frowned upon like they now are.

On that note, I hardly ever watch Food Network. It used to be good, but has fallen into the reality TV competition category like so many other networks. I am certain that she will get picked up by some other network, but I don't know if her contract will prohibit that even if she was fired. It is just a crappy situation all around. But, I think in the end, Food Network is going to lose.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,391,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think the whole thing is stupid. Did she say the word yesterday, last week. I don't even want to read the article. The USA is so self righteous and judgemental to begin with. It's as if one has to walk on egg shells with people. I have heard that word on public transit so much by black kids that I get up and move. Its disgusting and I agree she should not have said it, but there is more to this. Its the media looking for another story to push on us and make a big story out of nothing. To ruin yet another person. Food Network you can kiss my grits, because I'm not watching your dumb channel again. There was no reason to fire Paula Deen. You think she had committed a murder or something. I no longer trust the media in this country. I'm sorry but its ridiculous. Its another example of Watch Dog America. When are all these prim and proper people going to come into our homes and film and tape what we say. Enough is Enough. Apologize and get on with life. I don't hear much of anything said when people use the F word, and its said alot more than the N word. Get over it.

agree and let those without fault stand and introduce yourselves!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,967,524 times
The Food Network made the right decision.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM

17,615 posts, read 21,805,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's pretty bad. It's not just silly, idle gossip ... but direct quotes of hers in a legal deposition.

Paula Deen Admits to Racial Slurs, (Possibly) Slaughters Career
omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo!

The woman actually admits to "admiring" slavery and wanting to dress black male waiters up like slaves at a wedding along with her racial (N bombs) and anti-Semetic slurs.

For those blasting the Food Network, you should actually READ what she said and then decide, "If YOU were in charge of the Food Network, would YOU want someone like this representing your national and international brand?"

I agree. It was bad. Very bad. Less "Aunt Bea" and more "White Citizen's Council Ladies Auxiliary".

She's cooked her own goose, and deserves what she gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities