U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,488,336 times

Advertisements

20 years ago was 1993, not 1953.

I don't know if there's a statute of limitations on ignorant racial comments, but if there were, I guess it would go back to the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:14 PM

13,501 posts, read 14,046,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
But again, it was allegedly 20 years ago. People make mistakes, why dwell on her mistakes?
it was 2007, not 20 years ago. anyone that would admire the style of black slaves dresses in white jackets and ties, serving dinner like they did during the civil war is not a "mistake" it is bigotry

Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,363,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
But again, it was allegedly 20 years ago. People make mistakes, why dwell on her mistakes?
Unless you happen to be in a time warp, 2007 was NOT 20 years ago.

It was in 2007 that Paula was planning her brother's wedding when she made the following comment...

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n-words to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around.”

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 PM

7,198 posts, read 7,567,925 times
I'm sure she picked up the word when learning how to cook from her Mammy growing up
Very Disappointed!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,279,555 times
Ah, Food Network didn't dump her, they simply did not renew her contract

It was perfect timing for them that her contract was up.

There are too many up-and-coming chefs that can star in new Food Network shows, with better recipes. No one needs to eat that Elvis-style, cholesterol drenched food. They can find new star chefs with less baggage. It is time for them (and her) to move on. She had become a liability.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,535,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

It was in 2007 that Paula was planning her brother's wedding when she made the following comment...

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little n-words to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around.”
Shirley Temple days - what, 1930's? Little behind the times, eh, Paula?

And Food Network didn't terminate her contract, they declined to renew the contract that ends this month.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:42 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,606,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

That is what the accuser alleged. It was not something that she said in her deposition. We all know that people make up stories especially when deep pockets are involved. She was asked in her deposition if she had EVER said the N word and she said yes, they asked if she remembered a time when she it and she referred to when she was robbed by gunpoint at the bank she worked at. I think a lot of us would probably say some crazy stuff with a gun to our head. The entire transcript is here. It isn't short, so I don't expect most people to want to read that and instead read sensationalized stories by media outlets that want to get hits or sell magazines, but it does prove how stressful depositions can be...well, and how ridiculous. Food Network makes it sound like they just didn't want to renew her contract, but that was convenient.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/06/entertainment/deen-deposition/?hpt=hp_t1

I find her responses to be genuine and authentic personally. Even with the crazy line of questions and ridiculous comments by the questioning attorneys. Since they get paid by the hour, there is no incentive for them to be to the point.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,606,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Ah, Food Network didn't dump her, they simply did not renew her contract

It was perfect timing for them that her contract was up.

There are too many up-and-coming chefs that can star in new Food Network shows, with better recipes. No one needs to eat that Elvis-style, cholesterol drenched food. They can find new star chefs with less baggage. It is time for them (and her) to move on. She had become a liability.
People didn't watch her shows for the food, they watched because of her. With so many dysfunctional families out there, who wouldn't want such a genuine person in their family circle? Too many Food Network Chef's are not approachable, they may have good recipes but the advantage that Paula had was that she made people more comfortable with cooking. Made it more emotional. There is no other chef on that network that does that. Barefoot Contessa maybe, but she lacks so much emotion and feeling. She is like my Science teachers in school. The challenge was more staying awake than the actual homework. Her recipes are great, but her personality is not so great.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:01 PM

12,642 posts, read 14,685,972 times
I think they are making WAY too big a deal out of this. Like Alley01 said, part of that is what she was ALLEGED to have said. She didn't say she said it. She admitted to saying the N word in the past. Maybe I am wrong, but I would say that MOST people Paula's age, especially in the south, have said that word in the past. I am not saying it is right, but times were different then.

I am 56 and I definitely said that word when I was younger - not because I was racist, but because that is what I grew up with. Brazil nuts were called "n*gger toes." I never heard them called Brazil nuts until I was in my 20s and had black friends. My goodness - we also had the book Little Black Sambo read to us when we were kids. We had Sambo's restaurant. We had Aunt Jemima. And it was accepted by society. We had cartoons depicting black people in stereotypical roles. Uncle Remus - Brer Rabbit and Tar Baby. As I said, things were different then. That's the society Paula grew up in.

Do I say the N word now? No, because I know better. I have had a lot of black friends who have been among my dearest friends. I'm sure they grew up with some misperceptions about white people too. Funny, none of my black friends hold against me things I learned growing up. In fact, we have laughed about it. I have always made black friends easily.

Paula apologized and said she was wrong. It happened TWENTY years ago. Being wealthy makes people a target for being sued and people will use anything and everything to try to get money out of someone, whatever it takes. I am more suspicious of the person claiming Paula said those things than I am of Paula, who instead of lying admitted that she HAD said that word.

Last edited by luzianne; 06-21-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 PM

13,606 posts, read 29,619,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

I am 56 and I definitely said that word when I was younger - not because I was racist, but because that is what I grew up with. Brazil nuts were called "n*gger toes." I never hard them called Brazil nuts until I was in my 20s and had black friends.
I grew up calling them that too, because that's what I heard my grampa call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities