U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,212,778 times

Advertisements

I love Mike, but how many times are we going to give this brother a pass? Clean for less than a week....really Mike? Morphine drips and all, he needs to go into treatment - electroshock therapy or something.

Mike Tyson says he’s ‘on the verge of dying,’ opens up about drug*problems | SI Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,314,185 times
My computer won't open the link yet (maybe later).
Anyway, his daughter's drowning sent him further into a downward spiral (understatement). Don't know how I'd be if I was a parent who outlived her child. I'll say this: alcohol and drugs would be tempting. It ain't the answer, but it sure would be tempting to numb the pain. The thing is, eventually one must face the pain and live through it. That is difficult (another understatement), but a necessity.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
My computer won't open the link yet (maybe later).
Anyway, his daughter's drowning sent him further into a downward spiral (understatement). Don't know how I'd be if I was a parent who outlived her child. I'll say this: alcohol and drugs would be tempting. It ain't the answer, but it sure would be tempting to numb the pain. The thing is, eventually one must face the pain and live through it. That is difficult (another understatement), but a necessity.
His daughter drowned? I know he lost one to a freak accident with a treadmill. Here's the story:

During his first press conference as a promoter, boxing great Mike Tyson provided details on his path to sobriety and making amends with former trainer Teddy Atlas.

Im on the verge of dying because Im a vicious alcoholic, Tyson said on ESPNs Friday Night Fights.

Mike Tyson builds new life as boxing promoter, performer

Of Atlas, with whom Tyson has a longstanding feud following a falling out in the 1980s, Tyson said, I dont want to fight you anymore. I was wrong. Im sorry.

The Fight Network posted a snippet of the press conference, via badlefthook.com:

Im a bad guy sometimes. I did a lot of bad things, and I want to be forgiven. So in order for me to be forgiven, I hope they can forgive me. I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life.

I havent drank or took drugs in six days, and for me thats a miracle. Ive been lying to everybody else that think I was sober, but Im not. This is my sixth day. Im never gonna use again.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM

38,781 posts, read 37,960,929 times
I watched a documentary about Mike..... the guy has got some serious demons, and I truly feel bad for the guy...... He was just a lost young man that never really recovered from things when he was younger...

I saw him on Oprah.... he seems like he was trying to get his life together... but I don't know.... I'm not so sure he's ever gonna get peace in his life....

Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM

If I remember correctly, his daughter drowned.

Oh, thanks for the story, kharing.

I didn't know that about Tyson and Atlas. Tyson has been full of rage for decades, apparently. What happened to make him like that?

Remember the infamous "ear-bite"? Did Tyson bite the boxer twice (forgot his name)?

I enjoy boxing, but for the life of me, why would anyone risk getting brain damage? Well, as long as the profession exists, I'll continue to watch it. It's their choice to risk their lives. Glad Sugar Ray Leonard escaped (apparently) reasonably unscathed.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, his daughter drowned.
No, she died on a treadmill.

Mike Tyson 'devastated' after daughter, 4, dies in accident on treadmill
By MAIL FOREIGN SERVICE
UPDATED: 06:24 EST, 27 May 2009

Former boxing champion Mike Tyson has said there are no words to describe his grief after his four-year-old daughter died after a tragic accident in her home.
Exodus Tyson died in hospital after she was found with her neck caught in the power cable of a treadmill machine at her home in Phoenix in the U.S.
She was rushed to hospital in an 'extremely critical condition' and put on a life support machine, but pronounced dead yesterday at noon local time.

Police said the little girl had been playing on the treadmill at the home gym on Monday when her head apparently slipped inside a cord hanging under the console. The treadmill was not plugged in at the time.
She was found with the cord around her neck by her seven-year-old brother. While emergency services rushed to the scene, the girl's mother, identified by E! News as Sol Xochitl, tried to revive the child.
Attempts to revive the child were made as she was taken to a nearby St Joseph's Hospital and put on life support.
Tyson, 42, was in Las Vegas at the time of the accident and flew to Phoenix on Monday.
Last night he and his family said in a statement: 'We are grateful for the tremendous outpouring of love and prayers from all over the world.
'There are no words to describe the tragic loss of our beloved Exodus.
'We ask you now to please respect our need at this very difficult time for privacy to grieve and try to help each other heal.'
Police Sergeant Andy Hill said it was a 'tragic accident', saying police did not know how long Exodus had been trapped there.
'Somehow she was playing on this treadmill, and there's a cord that hangs under the console - it's kind of a loop,' he said.
'Either she slipped or put her head in the loop, but it acted like a noose, and she was obviously unable to get herself off of it.'

gt Hill said former heavyweight champion Tyson had been in Las Vegas on business but flew to Phoenix immediately after learning of the accident.
Last night he confirmed Exodus had been pronounced dead at 11.45am on Tuesday, adding: 'Our sympathies go out to the family.'
The former boxer's spokeswoman, Cynthia Schwartz, said the family had not yet arranged a funeral and would release a statement later.
Tyson lives in the house with the mother and the two children, MyFOXPhoenix.com reported.
Exodus is the youngest of Tyson's six children by a variety of ex-wives and girlfriends. She was born in March of 2005.
The others are Gena, 20, Mikey, 18, Rayna, 13, Amir, 11 and Miguel, 7. In 2004 it was reported that Tyson was living in Phoenix with Miguel's mother, who owned their house. It was also reported that the pair had ended their romantic relationship.
Miguel is believed to be the brother who found Exodus, however authorities have not confirmed that.
The current relationship between Tyson and Exodus' mother is also unclear, with some reports claiming the pair are married while others claim their romantic relationship ended in 2004.
In a statement before Exodus' death, he said: 'The Tyson family would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks for all your prayers and support, and we ask that we be allowed our privacy at this difficult time.'
The former boxer's spokeswoman, Cynthia Schwartz, said the family had not yet arranged a funeral and would release a statement later.

Mike Tyson 'devastated' after daughter, 4, dies in accident on treadmill | Mail Online

Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the story. Sorry about my error.
... and the 7 year old found his sister like that? Dang ...

No wonder Tyson is such a mess.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,159,381 times
Quote:
Remember the infamous "ear-bite"? Did Tyson bite the boxer twice (forgot his name)?
Tyson didn't bite Holyfield twice, he had his ass handed to him by Holyfield twice. After the second beating, Tyson chewed a piece of Holyfield's ear off out of pure frustration. That's what happens when an undisciplined street brawler like Tyson fights a Olympic champion technical boxer like Holyfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evander_Holyfield

Edit: Tyson did bit Holyfield twice, both times during the 1997 rematch:

Holyfield's rematch with Tyson took place on June 28, 1997. Known as "The Bite Fight," it would go into the annals of boxing as one of the most bizarre fights in history. The infamous incident occurred in the third round, when Tyson bit Holyfield on one of his ears and had two points deducted. Referee Mills Lane decided to disqualify Tyson initially, but after Holyfield and the ringside doctor intervened and said Holyfield could continue, he relented and allowed the fight to go on. However, Tyson went on to bite Holyfield again, this time on the other ear. Tyson, with his teeth, tore off the top of his ear, known as the helix, and spit the flesh out on the ring.

Last edited by Annuvin; 08-25-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Tyson didn't bite Holyfield twice, he had his ass handed to him by Holyfield twice. After the second beating, Tyson chewed a piece of Holyfield's ear off out of pure frustration. That's what happens when an undisciplined street brawler like Tyson fights a Olympic champion technical boxer like Holyfield.

Evander Holyfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you ever have time, check out the documentary that Chowhound mentioned. In it, it is explained why Tyson bit
Holyfield. I was shocked to see the footage....Holyfield was headbutting Tyson, and the ref didn't call him on it. One or two headbutts later, Tyson flipped out and bit him. Holyfield is known as the King of Headbutts....he's done it to other fighters as well.

Last edited by kharing; 08-25-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 PM

karing, interesting about the Holyfield headbuts. I'll check it out. No wonder Tyson wigged out.

I saw Holyfield being interviewed several years ago. His answers were slow, and he seemed dazed - and this WASN'T after a fight, either. His eyes looked vacant, like they were focused on something no one else could see. The damage from the headbuts was evident.

Oh, he married - and divorced - a beautiful lady years ago. I don't know what he's doing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or