U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times

Advertisements

I agree with Dr. Jill.

I haven't heard a peep about the song, just what Miley was wearing.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,794,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree with Dr. Jill.
Me too!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,985,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree with Dr. Jill.

I haven't heard a peep about the song, just what Miley was wearing.
I have no idea what the song was about as I know absolutely nothing about pop culture today. However, I don't think females NOR males should be acting in that way. It's just not necessary.

Another however is that I don't blame Miley. Someone I "know" online (a licensed therapist) wrote a great post about the reasons why is probably acting the way she's acting, and it's mainly just that she's a product of her environment. Either she needs to decide it's wrong, or someone close to her needs to help her.

If whatever the guy was singing was really about what the link says, then he needs to not be supported. He needs to not be supported, anyway, for being a part of that trainwreck.

Society has seen the terrible lives of way too many former child stars, and Miley doesn't need to be the next one on that list.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Just a note about the song, he's being satirical, and is actually making fun of the way some men objectify/treat women.

He's being outrageous on purpose.

Again, Miley wasn't in on the joke.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 PM

11,044 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If whatever the guy was singing was really about what the link says, then he needs to not be supported. He needs to not be supported, anyway, for being a part of that trainwreck.
No the song isn't really about that. People just look at the title and somehow decide that its about rape and a promoter of rape culture.

I read on one site that according to Robin Thicke (the guy) and Miley's team the actual performance was a lot different then what was rehearsed. And apparently Robin Thicke wasn't happy about being overshadowed by her craziness. I guess she knew that they would want her to tone it down some, so waited for the actual performance to go crazy.

Pop stars have been using Mtv award shows as a way to rebel for awhile now. Madonna did it in the 80s (although that seems pretty tame now), Britney did it with her sparkly nude colored pant and bra set, and then again when her and Madonna kissed... Christina Aguilera was involved in that too. Miley is 20 years old and rebelling against her squeaky clean Disney image. She wanted to show the world that she isn't this cute little kid anymore, and she got her point across. I don't really see how its shocking. She had those leaked pictures when she was 14-15 years old where she was showing off her bra, she's had other pictures of herself in the shower. Lets just hope this is as far as she takes it and doesn't go down the road of drugs and alcohol like Lindsay Lohan.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:16 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,985,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Just a note about the song, he's being satirical, and is actually making fun of the way some men objectify/treat women.

He's being outrageous on purpose.

Again, Miley wasn't in on the joke.
I'm glad to hear it's not a serious song. See, I'm so out of the loop with pop culture that when I heard his name, I was picturing it as Alan Thicke. That wasn't a pretty image.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,726,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'm glad to hear it's not a serious song. See, I'm so out of the loop with pop culture that when I heard his name, I was picturing it as Alan Thicke. That wasn't a pretty image.
It's his son.

I think they were a tad naive in the studio if they thought people wouldn't get up in arms about the lyrics.

It's a fine line, no pun intended.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 16,844,720 times
I have no idea if the song is serious or not. How can you tell?

These lyrics sound pretty much like they condone rape

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker
Hey, hey, hey

There is more in other verses. I could not hear the lyrics from the news clips and I did not watch the awards.

ROBIN THICKE LYRICS - Blurred Lines

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 AM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
Just the latest entertainment train wreck, but surely not the last.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 AM

11,044 posts, read 6,579,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have no idea if the song is serious or not. How can you tell?

These lyrics sound pretty much like they condone rape

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker
Hey, hey, hey

There is more in other verses. I could not hear the lyrics from the news clips and I did not watch the awards.

ROBIN THICKE LYRICS - Blurred Lines
I really don't see rape at all in those lyrics. Its about how he wants a girl that is already with another guy. The guy wants the girl to settle down and be more "domesticated" but the narrator thinks she should still be free to have fun and go to the clubs. Its like what Cyndi Lauper said "Some boys take a beautiful girl And hide her away from the rest of the world I want to be the one to walk in the sun" Narrator just wants the girl to walk in the sun instead of being hidden away by the guy she is with. And even though the girl is taken, she is still flirting with the narrator (grabbing him, hugging him) and "blurring the lines" between being single and taken. But she's a good girl, so she won't cheat on her guy.

But really its just a catchy pop song that was created in less then an hour. I really wouldn't look that deep into the song. They were just having fun. Both men are married with kids. These aren't some frat boys making misogynistic songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities