U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,087,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I have no idea if the song is serious or not. How can you tell?

These lyrics sound pretty much like they condone rape

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you're an animal, baby it's in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don't need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker
Hey, hey, hey

There is more in other verses. I could not hear the lyrics from the news clips and I did not watch the awards.

ROBIN THICKE LYRICS - Blurred Lines
I agree with you. I didn't see any satire or irony in those lyrics. What I did see was a lot of violence... In my opinion a catchy tune but the lyrics are disgusting.

"You the hottest bi%# in this place
Yeah, I had a bi%€$, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What you don't like work?"

That is not satire.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,087,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I really don't see rape at all in those lyrics. They were just having fun. Both men are married with kids. These aren't some frat boys making misogynistic songs.
It's just some married pigs writing misogynistic songs. Anyway their personal lives are irrelevant. Songs don't acquire different meanings because they are written or sang by different people. If mother Theresa composed "lick it" or "my neck my back" it wouldn't change the meaning or message of those songs.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 AM

806 posts, read 1,957,505 times
Like someone said it perfectly before:

It's not the first, and it won't be the last..

All the top pop queens have bared it all and embarassed themselves to get attention..

The song is no worse than a lot of others out there..

WHY is this News or such a hot topic??

Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 AM

17,178 posts, read 22,210,802 times
god forbid, anyone makes judgements...

here is a girl, loved!! by millions of girls as hannah montana....
she outgrows this image-which made her famous,,,,

for the millions of fans,,,,whether she likes it or not, she is a role model...

so then last week, she goes on a national stage and acts drunk and slutty

yeah yeah, she wants to distance herself from h.m. i get it,,,but have some common sense-what made her a success, is not from the girls who acted like her last week.

i think she either had too much to drink,,,or drugs...

madonna was over the top yrs ago- i never cared for her -even back then

and dont get me wrong, im no prude, but these lewd and stupid acts on tv, are highly impressionable on teenagers

i do feel sorry for her in a sense-thats she's young, and has money, many parasites around her...

Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times
On the day that the masses stop buying this crap, the media will stop selling it.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Not for my kids. We asked them this morning what they knew of this. They said ... who? Oh yah doesn't she sing?

This is a parenting board. So from my perspective as a parent, if your kid looks to model their behavior after someone that they see on tv, who is NOT on the evening news being reported on for their awesomeness, then there is a fail going on.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,019,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Hannah Montana is a role model? For whom? Teenagers who live double lives as secret pop stars? Was there an outcry in the late 80s about Jem and the Holograms? Oh, Jerrica Benton, you inadequate role model.

Miley Cyrus is 20 years old. Her teenybopper show went off the air three years ago. She's probably sick to death of people telling her she's supposed to stay young and cute so their tweens aren't confused when they watch re-runs on the Disney Channel.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
(I promise not to keep bombarding this forum with posts. I just had to ask this question.)

I am not a parent. I also no longer watch tv. So I found out about the VMA awards online. I watched Miley. Because I don't have kids, I really was not familiar with her "work" (songs and tv show). I have seen her perform on tv in the past but just in passing.

Having seen the performance, my first impression is one of feeling sad for the younger generation. They have a wasteland in the "entertainment" category, don't they?

I am far from being Amish or whatever but I believe in wholesome entertainment for children and teens. I grew up with Donny and Marie and "Little House on the Prairie" (best show ever!). Even "All in the Family" dealt with social issues. It made you THINK.

Nowadays it seems everything is just a cheap joke. A sexual innuendo, a gratuitous act, etc.

Did Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and Pat Benetar have to twerk for their art?

I'll bet you never saw Alice Cooper in the 70s .

Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 AM

352 posts, read 550,978 times
It seems a lot of Kids involved with Disney or other young child entertainment companies produce these young kids that once they get let go of, they go all out. Part of it is wanting to shed their innocence and become an adult. Unfortunately, young kids don't always know how to become an adult. Girls in lower school caking on the make-up to look like mommy but they don't really know what they are doing. Cursing because it sounds more adult and mommy and daddy said they aren't old enough to use that kind of language. So here you have one of many young kids in entertainment finally coming around to breaking away from their "parent" whether it be Disney, Nickelodeon, or another company trying to say, "Hey, I'm a big kid now! You don't need to own me anymore." Like Janet Jackson did when she was younger. Her songs went from innocent feelings and relationships to more aggressive and sexy. Miley has been trying to break away from her Daddy and Hannah Montana for a long time. She is finally getting out. Even Britney Spears did this. The problem is, it's not always done in a healthy manner. One of the Olsen twins lost herself with an eating disorder. Britney Spears got herself in trouble and landed in a mental institude (for a little bit anyways), Lindsay Lohan got into drugs/alcohol and law-breaking. Kids that don't have the proper guidance while involved in these high-pressure, high-public lives often don't know how to grow up in a healthy manner. They are often told to stay kids and instead, they want out. They don't know about walking away and saying a firm "no" to their "parent" (the companies that raise them) so they break away by making risky moves and sexy videos. It's nothing more than your own kid doing something they are told not to in order to gain some independence from their mother or father. It's just more public because it's their lifestyle and what they have to work with.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,629,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I really don't see rape at all in those lyrics. Its about how he wants a girl that is already with another guy. The guy wants the girl to settle down and be more "domesticated" but the narrator thinks she should still be free to have fun and go to the clubs. Its like what Cyndi Lauper said "Some boys take a beautiful girl And hide her away from the rest of the world I want to be the one to walk in the sun" Narrator just wants the girl to walk in the sun instead of being hidden away by the guy she is with. And even though the girl is taken, she is still flirting with the narrator (grabbing him, hugging him) and "blurring the lines" between being single and taken. But she's a good girl, so she won't cheat on her guy.

But really its just a catchy pop song that was created in less then an hour. I really wouldn't look that deep into the song. They were just having fun. Both men are married with kids. These aren't some frat boys making misogynistic songs.
So if you are married with kids you suddenly believe in equality, and can't be misogynistic ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.