U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM

9,056 posts, read 6,742,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hannah Montana is a role model? For whom? Teenagers who live double lives as secret pop stars? Was there an outcry in the late 80s about Jem and the Holograms? Oh, Jerrica Benton, you inadequate role model.

Miley Cyrus is 20 years old. Her teenybopper show went off the air three years ago. She's probably sick to death of people telling her she's supposed to stay young and cute so their tweens aren't confused when they watch re-runs on the Disney Channel.
Exactly. She's not under any obligation to be anyone's role model. Nobody in the entertainment biz is. It's not up to her what your kids choose to model. She's not the one parenting your children.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
It seems a lot of Kids involved with Disney or other young child entertainment companies produce these young kids that once they get let go of, they go all out. Part of it is wanting to shed their innocence and become an adult. Unfortunately, young kids don't always know how to become an adult. Girls in lower school caking on the make-up to look like mommy but they don't really know what they are doing. Cursing because it sounds more adult and mommy and daddy said they aren't old enough to use that kind of language. So here you have one of many young kids in entertainment finally coming around to breaking away from their "parent" whether it be Disney, Nickelodeon, or another company trying to say, "Hey, I'm a big kid now! You don't need to own me anymore." Like Janet Jackson did when she was younger. Her songs went from innocent feelings and relationships to more aggressive and sexy. Miley has been trying to break away from her Daddy and Hannah Montana for a long time. She is finally getting out. Even Britney Spears did this. The problem is, it's not always done in a healthy manner. One of the Olsen twins lost herself with an eating disorder. Britney Spears got herself in trouble and landed in a mental institude (for a little bit anyways), Lindsay Lohan got into drugs/alcohol and law-breaking. Kids that don't have the proper guidance while involved in these high-pressure, high-public lives often don't know how to grow up in a healthy manner. They are often told to stay kids and instead, they want out. They don't know about walking away and saying a firm "no" to their "parent" (the companies that raise them) so they break away by making risky moves and sexy videos. It's nothing more than your own kid doing something they are told not to in order to gain some independence from their mother or father. It's just more public because it's their lifestyle and what they have to work with.

Yup.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM

14,212 posts, read 9,643,692 times
Quote:
Hannah Montana is a role model? For whom? Teenagers who live double lives as secret pop stars? Was there an outcry in the late 80s about Jem and the Holograms? Oh, Jerrica Benton, you inadequate role model.

Miley Cyrus is 20 years old. Her teenybopper show went off the air three years ago. She's probably sick to death of people telling her she's supposed to stay young and cute so their tweens aren't confused when they watch re-runs on the Disney Channel.
I agree with you on this. There has to be a difficulty for former child stars when society deems they must always maintain that persona, because they are looked up to by kids.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM

90 posts, read 75,323 times
I want to clarify that I am NOT blaming Miley! She grew up in this business and is just trying to stay relevant. It's her identity.

The point I was making was not to place blame on anyone but to express sadness for such an empty culture.

Someone mentioned that Joan Baez was radical and I agree. But you can be a rebel with a cause and not degrade yourself and others in the process.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,995,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I agree with you on this. There has to be a difficulty for former child stars when society deems they must always maintain that persona, because they are looked up to by kids.
There is a difference between always being that child star image and growing up into a healthy adult. Miley, and so many other former child stars, doesn't appear to be growing into a healthy adult AT ALL.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,697,843 times
Quote:
I agree with Dr. Jill.

This is crap. I watched the video on youtube. Regardless of what you think of that song, in the performance Robin Thicke is just singing his song, pretty much ignoring the stupidity that is Miley Cyrus.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I agree with you. I didn't see any satire or irony in those lyrics. What I did see was a lot of violence... In my opinion a catchy tune but the lyrics are disgusting.

"You the hottest bi%# in this place
Yeah, I had a bi%$, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What you don't like work?"

That is not satire.
It's said from the POV of the type of buffoons that like to harass women walking down the street. That's why there's a dirty old man stereotype in the video.

They wrote from that angle.

But I agree it's hard to get that from just a straight up reading of the lyrics. A bit bemused that Robin Thicke is shocked people are taking it seriously. The message might be obvious to them but is a bit to cryptic for the GP - especially those that it's making fun of, the dude who harangues women, who see nothing wrong with it because it's how they think.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,697,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
I want to clarify that I am NOT blaming Miley! She grew up in this business and is just trying to stay relevant. It's her identity.
Really? Then who do you blame? Miley can't have it both ways. You can't claim your adulthood and not take responsibility for the decisions you make.

As for all the crap online about her owning her sexuality--acting raunchy (not sexy) in the most desperate and unpleasant way is not owning your sexuality. She is sad, sad, sad. It wasn't sexy and it wasn't appealing.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,256,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Really? Then who do you blame? Miley can't have it both ways. You can't claim your adulthood and not take responsibility for the decisions you make.
To whom does she owe responsibility? Herself only, in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM

42,565 posts, read 42,513,352 times
She got what she wanted. Everyone is talking about her. Parents are complaining. Kids whom are rebelious hear their parents and will now listen to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities