Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
I want to clarify that I am NOT blaming Miley! She grew up in this business and is just trying to stay relevant. It's her identity.

The point I was making was not to place blame on anyone but to express sadness for such an empty culture.

Someone mentioned that Joan Baez was radical and I agree. But you can be a rebel with a cause and not degrade yourself and others in the process.
Blaming Miley for what? Good grief, it was some VH1 award show. Last year they had Rihanna singing "Cockiness," a very sexually explicit song. It's like going to the beach and complaining there's so much skin there. Seriously, the ONLY reason I knew anything about this is from the pearl clutchers. I don't watch VH1 and nobody in my house gives a rip about Hannah Montana or any of her music. I do know the Robin Thicke song and thinks it's very catchy, but I've been surprised to see the song portrayed as a bouncy little ditty. Jimmy Fallon had his cute remix ... I think they played it on Good Morning America for a week.

As far as empty culture, it saddens me to see an adult woman being chastised for daring to stop being 13 years old. Don't get older, what will our daughters think, how will they cope? They will cope by having role models outside pop culture.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Blaming Miley for what? Good grief, it was some VH1 award show. Last year they had Rihanna singing "Cockiness," a very sexually explicit song. It's like going to the beach and complaining there's so much skin there. Seriously, the ONLY reason I knew anything about this is from the pearl clutchers. I don't watch VH1 and nobody in my house gives a rip about Hannah Montana or any of her music. I do know the Robin Thicke song and thinks it's very catchy, but I've been surprised to see the song portrayed as a bouncy little ditty. Jimmy Fallon had his cute remix ... I think they played it on Good Morning America for a week.

As far as empty culture, it saddens me to see an adult woman being chastised for daring to stop being 13 years old. Don't get older, what will our daughters think, how will they cope? They will cope by having role models outside pop culture.
I agree. Though to be fair, I think a lot of the backlash has to do with the complete and utter lack of any artistic merit in the performance. It was worse than dreadful. I don't care about the sexual content, more about the shallow interpretation of black culture in the least talented way possible.

And the tongue sticking out thing is a child screaming for attention move. It's really sad, IMO.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree. Though to be fair, I think a lot of the backlash has to do with the complete and utter lack of any artistic merit in the performance. It was worse than dreadful. I don't care about the sexual content, more about the shallow interpretation of black culture in the least talented way possible.

And the tongue sticking out thing is a child screaming for attention move. It's really sad, IMO.
How'd you get to be so right, lady?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
What saddens me is that as consumers, this is what we buy from our "artists". No wonder parents have a hard time distinguishing how to educate their kids about healthy sexual attitudes.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Felt embarassed for her

Quote:
How'd you get to be so right, lady?
To me, she is shouting for attention. A failed relationship, up or down, her parents' ups and downs - personally, I think she is messed up.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I agree with you. I didn't see any satire or irony in those lyrics. What I did see was a lot of violence... In my opinion a catchy tune but the lyrics are disgusting.

"You the hottest bi%#£ in this place
Yeah, I had a bi%€$, but she ain't bad as you
So hit me up when you passing through
I'll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two
Do it like it hurt, like it hurt
What you don't like work?"

That is not satire.
No, thats not about rape.

The song is pretty transparent. He goes someplace, the hottest girl there is taken and has a "good girl" persona, but she's flirting with him and keeps touching him and seems into him so he's trying to talk her out of her panties. He's telling her I know you're not as good as you are pretending to be, deep down you are a wild one just like me. It's always her choice to take him up on his offer, he does not talk about forcing her to do anything. But he does promise some wild rough sex.

I get that rape culture is a big thing right now and rightfully so, we should raise awareness of it. But that doesn't mean we should be demonizing all flirting or all references to kinkiness. I just think the whole dustup about this song is misguided.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think it's an excellent teaching moment for kids. And this is nothing new, there have been crotch-grabbers and bumpers and grinders around for a very long time.

Also worth noting that the VMAs was rated TV-14.
Exactly. It astounds me to no end the number of "parents" that allow their children to watch MTV and then are surprised when this kind of stuff is aired. Kids that are not in high school should not be watching MTV, and even then, some high schoolers are not mature enough to understand that it is entertainment, and that these people are not be role models.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 AM

90 posts, read 101,095 times
Quote:

Getting older does not mean acting like a hooker. And I have nothing against sex workers.

How bizarre this all is! So we have dumbed down and coarsened to the point of this garbage?

No wonder so many people advocate hitting their children...

Old 08-28-2013, 10:20 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
No wonder so many people advocate hitting their children...

Oh please! Now you've jumped the shark.

Just exercise your right to change the channel and pull your big girl panties up. @@ <-- rolls eyes

Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM

90 posts, read 101,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Exactly. She's not under any obligation to be anyone's role model. Nobody in the entertainment biz is. It's not up to her what your kids choose to model. She's not the one parenting your children.
This has nothing to do with being a role model. This is about ART. What is being contributed. Who is being uplifted by this? That is the function of art--to uplift, inspire humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities