U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM

90 posts, read 75,160 times

Advertisements

(I promise not to keep bombarding this forum with posts. I just had to ask this question.)

I am not a parent. I also no longer watch tv. So I found out about the VMA awards online. I watched Miley. Because I don't have kids, I really was not familiar with her "work" (songs and tv show). I have seen her perform on tv in the past but just in passing.

Having seen the performance, my first impression is one of feeling sad for the younger generation. They have a wasteland in the "entertainment" category, don't they?

I am far from being Amish or whatever but I believe in wholesome entertainment for children and teens. I grew up with Donny and Marie and "Little House on the Prairie" (best show ever!). Even "All in the Family" dealt with social issues. It made you THINK.

Nowadays it seems everything is just a cheap joke. A sexual innuendo, a gratuitous act, etc.

Did Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and Pat Benetar have to twerk for their art?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love living foods View Post
(I promise not to keep bombarding this forum with posts. I just had to ask this question.)

I am not a parent. I also no longer watch tv. So I found out about the VMA awards online. I watched Miley. Because I don't have kids, I really was not familiar with her "work" (songs and tv show). I have seen her perform on tv in the past but just in passing.

Having seen the performance, my first impression is one of feeling sad for the younger generation. They have a wasteland in the "entertainment" category, don't they?

I am far from being Amish or whatever but I believe in wholesome entertainment for children and teens. I grew up with Donny and Marie and "Little House on the Prairie" (best show ever!). Even "All in the Family" dealt with social issues. It made you THINK.

Nowadays it seems everything is just a cheap joke. A sexual innuendo, a gratuitous act, etc.

Did Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Judy Collins and Pat Benetar have to twerk for their art?
She is a 20 year old pop star. She wants to look sexy, and act stupid. As MOST 20 year olds have done on occasion, including the 70s. This is not a new phenomenon. Hell, some people (including Walt himself) had a similar reaction to the idea that Annette Funicello, also a former Disney star, was going to be shaking it in a bikini in the Beach Blanket movies. Now it seems completely innocent.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM

39,156 posts, read 37,766,222 times
Every generation goes through this. Elvis was the Pied Piper to H*ll, remember?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 PM

24,474 posts, read 28,767,996 times
For me, the difference between what she did and what, say, Madonna did way back when, is that she was a child star, and has a following among teens and tweens. I hope the parents of her young fans use it as an example of what not to do.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,675,230 times
I didn't watch the show and have no interest in that kind of entertainment but I did see it on the news and online. I would have been mortified if I decided to let my kids watch the show and they saw this idiot making a fool of herself. On the other hand it might have been a good teaching moment about how desperate people do desperate things when they fear their star is not shining anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,800,037 times
I think it's an excellent teaching moment for kids. And this is nothing new, there have been crotch-grabbers and bumpers and grinders around for a very long time.

Also worth noting that the VMAs was rated TV-14.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,266,052 times
Quote:

She (and her agents) accomplished her mission. She got you to write about her which is directly linked with record sales.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,356,382 times
Quote:

Oh, those women all made eyebrows raise and parents shudder.

Let's pick Joan Baez shall we? She had the courage to sing about brotherhood and peace while Lyndon Johnson was in the White House. And she hung out with Bob Dylan. If you enjoyed Little House on the Prairie I can guarantee your parents weren't at protest marches raising their fists in solidarity with those two.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM

15,762 posts, read 13,191,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think it's an excellent teaching moment for kids. And this is nothing new, there have been crotch-grabbers and bumpers and grinders around for a very long time.

Also worth noting that the VMAs was rated TV-14.
This completely. Something's are not for kids.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 PM

9,056 posts, read 6,730,338 times
I feel terrible for her. I don't think it's as much what she did, as how desperate the whole thing was. I always found Madonna for example had a sense of humor, a bit of irony, like she knew the joke and was letting us all in on it.

Miley has no sense of herself at all.

And what does anyone expect, this is a known and predictible progression for girls (especially) that grow up before everyone's eyes as a cutsie teen star and once they start adulthood rebel against that false image in the strongest possible way, and cannot live without the attention anymore, to boot.

It's happened over and over again. Anyone who puts their tween daughter into the entertainment mill and expects them to come out unscathed when they're in the delicate late teen stage needs their freakin head examined.

People that can do that and still stay grounded are few and far between. Most end up with dreadful issues, addiction, narcissistic behaviors, loneliness, rejection.

That's not what you want to set your children up for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities