U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

18,102 posts, read 20,067,744 times

Advertisements

I started another thread so we can talk about other child stars besides Sandra Dee if you'd like to join us over there we'd be happy to see you. Thought that was better than going off topic then this thread gets closed.

Child Stars dim into adulthood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM

16,181 posts, read 20,194,083 times
It was very sad to see the divorce between Darin and Sandra Dee. I was a big Darin fan growing up as a kid. I have a lot of respect for people who know they have a limited time on earth but try to accomplish as much as they can until they can't physically continue. Which is what happened to Darin, having been diagnosed with rheumatic fever as a child and dying at age 37 in 1973.

His story and his marriage to Sandra Dee is well told in the 2004 movie "Beyond The Sea." I recommend it.

Very sad to see the divorce. And Sandra Dee still loved Darin to the day he died. She never remarried.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM

14,527 posts, read 11,510,517 times
Some questons asked about the lovely woman whlie she was still alive.

The Ultimate Sandra Dee: Frequently Asked Questions

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Those we good questions to read the answers to I wonder if that fan still answers questions about Sandra today? Seems the site hasn't been updated since 2003 but I have heard of other fan clubs for deceased stars.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM

4,948 posts, read 4,653,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
My mind always goes to Rusty Hamer (Make Room for Daddy) when discussing child actors' transition into adulthood. His career was virtually kaput after Make Room for Daddy. This may have been previously posted, but he went from job to job, developed alcohol/sub abuse problems, and later killed himself (age 42?).

I think that his last TV appearance was in a bit part as a stage manager at a burlesque theater in an episode of "Police Squad", the short-lived TV predecessor to the "Naked Gun" movies.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM

19,376 posts, read 13,040,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Her life was more complex than that.

Jackie Coogan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For sure!
I just mentioned the very basics about Mary Miles Minter.

Jackie Coogan's story has faded now, but was better known in his time.

Another child star who went through great trauma and eventually went on to have a good acting career as an adult, Jackie Cooper, was the first child actor to do something about how kids in movies were being treated. He proposed some of the first legislation that set laws for the movie industry on the children, the money they made, and how they were to be treated and worked.

Cooper knew Coogan, and used Coogan as an example in his proposals. Cooper had his own share of trauma on the movie set:
In one famous instance, the director couldn't get him to cry on cue. He was only about 6 at the time. The director ordered a stage hand to take Cooper's dog around out of sight, and shoot a blank into the air.

Then he told Jackie if he wouldn't cry, the guy would shoot his dog. Then the gun went off. Cooper cried, all right, but refused to ever work for the director again at a time when Cooper was one of the biggest child stars. The incident left him scarred, but at age 6, aware of the powers he had, even as a small child.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,314,185 times
That was cruel as heck. I wish the dog had bitten that nasty man.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,265,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I don't know how close Sandra & Shelly were since they only met during this video in 1990 then Sandra died in 2005. I hope they became friends after this interview Sandra seemed so lonely in this interview.

Here's a video of their son Dodd boy he looks like his dad but with more hair.

Skip E. Lowe talks to Dodd Darin, son of Bobby Darin - YouTube
Dodd Darin's book on his parents makes for a very interesting read:

Amazon.com: Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - by Their Son Dodd Darin (9780446517683): Dodd Darin, Maxine Paetro: Books

Sandra was still alive when the book came out. Dodd loved his parents. He has some very harsh accusations against Sandra's stepfather, though, who really messed her up.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 AM

9,353 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

Amazon.com: Dream Lovers: The Magnificent Shattered Lives of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee - by Their Son Dodd Darin (9780446517683): Dodd Darin, Maxine Paetro: Books

Sandra was still alive when the book came out. Dodd loved his parents. He has some very harsh accusations against Sandra's stepfather, though, who really messed her up.
I very much enjoyed reading Dream Lovers; very well written.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

Can't excuse her mother in it all either though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities