U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,312,678 times

Advertisements

Now I want Judy Garland's biography.
Almost every time a poster on this thread mentions an actor, I wanna read their biography.

Anyway, bottom line: most people will do what their addiction dictates (unless they get help - and stick with it). It's up to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 PM

18,093 posts, read 20,061,218 times
I want to do the same thing so I guess we will have our reading list until the end of the year?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:23 PM

Thank goodness for the libraries and used bookstores (the few that are left). Also bought some of my best actor biographies from thrift shops.

Does anyone know if the child actor Freddie Bartholomew wrote a book? How was his adult transition into acting? I can find this on the 'net, but wanted to hear from others on this nice thread (6 pages and counting).

Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM

22,247 posts, read 5,508,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Oh I wished they hadn't risen their wings she it would have been nice to see how much more she would have acclaimed.
Judy Garland is probably the saddest story of a child star ever, and probably the most talented. I spoke briefly to Mickey Rooney about Judy eight years ago. He said Judy was the greatest talent he ever met. Her wonderful 'live' performance at Carnegie Hall in 1961, was recorded thankfully, and can be enjoyed over and over again.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM

I think back in the day of Judy Garland, Sandra Dee, Frankie Avalon, Fred Astaire is when there was real talent. They could act, sing, dance to some degrees & were very entertaining to various ages. When it ends early like Judy we can only sit & wonder what could have been.

That's awesome you got to speak to Mickey Rooney I believe he was her biggest fan.

Soda I am sorry I don't know anything about Freddie Bartholomew.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I think back in the day of Judy Garland, Sandra Dee, Frankie Avalon, Fred Astaire is when there was real talent. They could act, sing, dance to some degrees & were very entertaining to various ages. When it ends early like Judy we can only sit & wonder what could have been.

That's awesome you got to speak to Mickey Rooney I believe he was her biggest fan.

Soda I am sorry I don't know anything about Freddie Bartholomew.
No problem, Jaxson.

It would be interesting reading about the rest of the old Mickey Mouse club stars and if any progressed into successful adult acting. The only ones I know of were Annette Funicello and Don Grady.

It's always interesting reading about the old Little Rascals. Hardly any of them became successful showbiz actors. Some didn't live past 30. One of the Buckwheat actors occasionally guest-starred on Good Times and Sanford & Son. Alfalfa had a bit part in a movie as an adult. The movie may have been In Cold Blood (not sure).

Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 PM

4,938 posts, read 4,646,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post

It's always interesting reading about the old Little Rascals.

One of the Buckwheat actors occasionally guest-starred on Good Times and Sanford & Son.

I believe you're thinking about Matthew "Stymie" Beard, who also had a role in "The Buddy Holly Story".

Stymie was my favorite of the Little Rascals.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Oh my now that whole Little Rascals cast met with some untimely deaths & destructions didn't they?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 14,697,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Thank goodness for the libraries and used bookstores (the few that are left). Also bought some of my best actor biographies from thrift shops.

Does anyone know if the child actor Freddie Bartholomew wrote a book? How was his adult transition into acting? I can find this on the 'net, but wanted to hear from others on this nice thread (6 pages and counting).
Check out this link: Amazon.com: freddie bartholomew: Books

I couldn't find an autobiography but there were some books written about him.
Also, check the Wikipedia listing for him. Down at the bottom of the page is a list of "outside source"
information about him.

The movie I remember him for is Captains Courageous with Spencer Tracy. That is a grand movie.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 14,697,835 times
Quote:
Oh my now that whole Little Rascals cast met with some untimely deaths & destructions didn't they?
Spanky died about 30 miles from here about 20 years ago. He was in his 60s and died of a heart attack. For some reason I remember the day he died. It was a bit of a big deal in these parts. He was my favorite "Our Gang/Little Rascals" character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or