Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times

Advertisements

The Sandra Dee thread is veering off topic of her so I thought I'd start this thread there are some very interesting child stars being talked about there. Hope y'all join me over here.

Tatum O’Neal she still remains, I believe, the youngest actor to win an Oscar but sure veered off course after that. She got addicted to crack and heroin, had MIA parents basically her whole life her dad was toxic too. As an adult she got her children taken away it is so sad the paths some of these kids take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Tatum O'Neal has acted since reaching adulthood. She was in a Lifetime movie years ago, and probably more things. She's talented, but she's "mature", so the roles are few. She's competing with other "mature" actors, too, for so few roles. What an industry ...

I read some of her autobiography on-line. It was good. Her mom was, well, apparently very troubled.

We see nothing about Desi Arnaz, Jr. He wasn't a "child actor", but a teenaged/young adult one. Guess he's no longer interested.

The original Brady Bunch? Please. Heard nary a recent peep from them except Chris Knight's reality shows and Maureen McCormick on Celebrity Fit Club (and autobio). Barry Williams wrote a book first.

Hate to say, but today's society obviously isn't interested in former child actors, imho. Hollywood apparently isn't, and society is a reflection of Hollywood, right? Ageism is a monster.

Ron Howard did well. He got behind the camera. Otherwise, he would have faded away. He can write his own ticket because he controls things.

If you can't be behind a camera, maybe acting in plays is the next best thing.

Erin Moran is another classic example of a dimmed career, too. Oh well.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Arnaz has a daughter, Julia Arnaz, from an undisclosed relationship.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE]
At 17 he was dating actress Patty Duke who was 23 at the time. The relationship became tabloid news and his mother did not approve of them together. He was married to actress Linda Purl from 1982 until their divorce in 1984.[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE] On October 8, 1987, Arnaz married Amy Laura Bargiel.[SIZE=2][8][/SIZE] They live in Boulder City, Nevada with their daughter, and own the Boulder Theatre, a cinema converted into a theatre and home to the Boulder City Ballet Company

He has been pretty active; but not really publicly acknowledged.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desi_Arnaz,_Jr.

I like this thread. Gonna look up infor on Lucy's daughter and others.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
The Sandra Dee thread is veering off topic of her so I thought I'd start this thread there are some very interesting child stars being talked about there. Hope y'all join me over here.

Tatum O’Neal she still remains, I believe, the youngest actor to win an Oscar but sure veered off course after that. She got addicted to crack and heroin, had MIA parents basically her whole life her dad was toxic too. As an adult she got her children taken away it is so sad the paths some of these kids take.
I watched some of the reality show with Tatum and her dad.
She seems like a nice,quiet spoken person. Lots of demons she's fighting though. Sad.
Ryan O'Neal is charismatic. Could be a nice guy but too much of the jerk gene flowing. Just an over-all bad parent. Very bad parental material there.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM

Tatum O'Neal has had a pretty volatile relationship with her dad through the years too. Both have said their addictions lead to some of it.

I just saw Ron Howard's brother, Clint Howard, in an old movie with Vince Vaugh & Kevin James he was a child star too. Gentle Giant about a bear he has been lucky he has done b type roles nothing starring other than Star Trek I think.

Erin Moran is a hot mess saw her on some reality show she has a drinking problem and then knows no boundaries.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Thanks, Pippy, for the Desi info. He is apparently doing well.

Scott Baio is probably doing okay, especially if he collects Happy Days residuals. He was more a teen/young adult actor, btw. Now he's a husband (finally) and father.

About Clint Howard, I think years ago he was in the Apollo 13 movie as one of the Control engineers.

Erin Moran: her voice has gotten so deep (at least on an interview she did), it was scary. She sounded worse than Bette Davis.

Know who transitioned VERY well from child actor to adulthood? Leonardo DeCaprio.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Pip I remember reading about Desi Jr. dating Pattie Duke! Oh Lord I'm getting old. Ryan was on some house husband show a while back he was a piece of poop. I really don't see what Farrah saw in him isn't their son in jail or prison?

Soda you are correct he was in Apollo 13. Scott Baio hasn't really progressed into adult roles well he has done a few reality shows he is friends with Willie Aames from Eight Is Enough fame. Neither one of them were really doing in acting work much but a lot of partying & reality shows.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM

I loved Shelley Fabares on the sitcom "Coach"; but then shortly after it went off the air, Shelley just sort of disappeared. Then during some interview her husband,Mike Farrell made a reference to her having a serious health issue but wouldn't elaborate. Turns out she had to have a liver transplant. I do hope she's healthy and well now. But also makes me wonder how many non-celebrities are on a waiting list for a liver and not getting one. But that's for another thread.....
Shelley Fabares - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachment 117484

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 12-24-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Wow I hope she is OK too now.

Jodie Sweetin from Full House sure took the drug detour path she is in a custody battle over her 2nd child right now. She was so cute I read an interview once about how she couldn't land any roles because she was branded by the Stephanie character.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Know who transitioned VERY well from child actor to adulthood? Leonardo DeCaprio.
Well, he was very talented then and continues to be very talented. Not so familiar with the others mentioned, but they were not necessarily all that talented. DeCaprio is one of history's best actors. The others mentioned were in some kid role on TV shows and maybe did that well, but were not necessarily gifted actors at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities