Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

From a very overprotective controlling mother. this young girl had no friends. was fed baby food when she should have been allowed to grow up, abused by her step father, while her mother chose to ignore what was going on... This lovely woman went on to have a tormented life of alcohol abuse and eating disorders... even when her mother died, Sandra said she died too and she couldnt function anymore.... so sad for such a lovely talented actress to end up losing all her fortune and dying not long after her mothers death, with her son the only person to care for her..Sandra Dee - Teen Idol, Tortured Soul - Marie Claire Magazine - Yahoo!7 Lifestyle her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Sandra's story has similarities to Natalie Wood. Both were from Russian emigre families and both had very controlling mothers who were obsessed with their daughters and wanted them to be famous no matter what the cost to their happiness.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:02 AM

Your right Bernie I had read about Natalie some time ago.. very sad for children like these who only had their mother and the studios..

Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Your right Bernie I had read about Natalie some time ago.. very sad for children like these who only had their mother and the studios..
They were both beautiful young girls who seemed to have the world at their feet but they had very dysfunctional lives. Both Sandra and Natalie had problems with drink and various medications. There was also the story reported in one of the books on Natalie that she was raped by some major actor when she was 16 and her mother forced her to keep it a secret because she didn't want it to affect Natalie's career. Both Natalie and Sandra also had big, beautiful brown eyes.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

...and, in the case of Natalie Wood, a milquetoast father in the background with blinders on.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
No matter how much money/fame you have, unless you take care of your personal demons you really have nothing. Sad, and even with the times now, w/ all the knowledge that's out there, some of these stars still suffer tremendously. With all of their money, get the best therapist and have therapy as much as you need.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No matter how much money/fame you have, unless you take care of your personal demons you really have nothing. Sad, and even with the times now, w/ all the knowledge that's out there, some of these stars still suffer tremendously. With all of their money, get the best therapist and have therapy as much as you need.
True, but that was some horrible parenting Sandra Dee had, it would be real hard to ever be normal after that. Plus I found it interesting the way she said she was hooked on martinis from the first one, usually you only hear that about heroin or other hard drugs. I'm sure glad I was never an alcoholic, its probably the hardest addiction to steer clear of.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
That was a beautifully written article.
She, John Saxon, and James Darren were guests on a talk-show (in the 90s?). I forgot the name of it. However, although John and James put on happy faces, sadness and concern for Miss Dee was there as well.
Miss Dee didn't know how to respond to their - or the host's, or the audience's - admiration. She sat there, looking rather dazed, a bit shocked, and trying to take it all in (without much success).
Mr. Saxon and Mr. Darren probably still miss her today.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 AM

I watched that on youtube Soda.. and yes she did look stunned by the love that was poured out to her.. I think that wasnt long before her sad death..

Sandra Dee's Last Interview Pt 1/3 discuesses her alcoholism,anorexia nervosa,sexual abuse,etc. - YouTube

Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Thanks for posting the clip, dizzybint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities