Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:38 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,515,534 times

Advertisements

I would be glad and proud of being a draft dodger. Not going to kill some people's children I've never met because of some bureaucracy crap the general population on either side had nothing to do with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,471,920 times
It was a different time, young men felt they had a responsibility and duty to their country, and if your country called on you, you answered. America was not a place for the weak an the whiny like it is now. I guess that's why they call them "the greatest generation".

Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 AM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I would be glad and proud of being a draft dodger. Not going to kill some people's children I've never met because of some bureaucracy crap the general population on either side had nothing to do with.
So you'd rather have the enemy come over here and kill our women and children on our soil. If we didn't go over there the war(s) would eventually have spread here to the USA. You should be thankful for all those veterans who put their lives in the line for your opportunity and freedom to speak so insipidly as you do.

During WW-II many famous celebrities enlisted and went overseas to fight the enemy. Some became heroes. Audie Murphy was the highest decorated heroic soldier of WW-II. Jimmy Stewart was an Air Force bomber pilot. Many others deserve accolades too.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,515,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
So you'd rather have the enemy come over here and kill our women and children on our soil. If we didn't go over there the war(s) would eventually have spread here to the USA. You should be thankful for all those veterans who put their lives in the line for your opportunity and freedom to speak so insipidly as you do.

During WW-II many famous celebrities enlisted and went overseas to fight the enemy. Some became heroes. Audie Murphy was the highest decorated heroic soldier of WW-II. Jimmy Stewart was an Air Force bomber pilot. Many others deserve accolades too.
That's not even close to being the case right now. I refuse to voluntarily kill people for any reason.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,221,871 times
Quote:

During WW-II many famous celebrities enlisted and went overseas to fight the enemy. Some became heroes. Audie Murphy was the highest decorated heroic soldier of WW-II.

But Murphy was not a celebrity who put his career on hold to serve in the military. He did not become famous or have an acting career until after he had performed his valorous actions, like the previously-mentioned Neville Brand and Lee Marvin.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:46 AM

372 posts, read 1,041,902 times
Quote:

When did North Vietnam attack women and children on our soil? They won, yet still no attacks. Maybe you can, but I just can't equate our involvement in Vietnam's civil war with the fight against Axis aggression in WWII.

To paraphrase Cassius Clay " Why should I go over there and kill the North Vietnamese. They never forced me to the back of the bus."

Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM

18,457 posts, read 18,609,598 times
Jimmy Stewart was also a pilot in the Vietnam war.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 AM

377 posts, read 527,563 times
The generation born between 1975 and 1995 really should be called the worst generation, except for the guys fighting for this country overseas, they haven't done anything meaningful really, all they do is whine and complain and demand things they don't deserve

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM

44,569 posts, read 61,354,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
The generation born between 1975 and 1995 really should be called the worst generation, except for the guys fighting for this country overseas, they haven't done anything meaningful really, all they do is whine and complain and demand things they don't deserve
Excellent points ^^^. Those whiners and crybabies are what's wrong with America today. They should be on their knees blessing the soldiers that fought for their freedom.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:13 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,176,244 times
Its kind of...comparing apples to oranges to applaud celebs who joined for WWII vs. those who have not joined to fight the Taliban. Not saying its not a worthy fight just a whole different world, whole different war.
I mean practically everyone joined, if you didn't join you better have had a good reason. Not like now when most don't join or even consider joining.
They were doing what everyone did, and that's exactly what celebs are doing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities