U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:10 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,022,377 times

Advertisements

She was yet another fake psychic. Tragically, there are many being fooled by people like her. Not surprised that she was here in the bay area. This place seems to be ground zero for these phonies and their gullible, delusional followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 10:08 PM

200 posts, read 343,972 times
I remember watching her on a local San Francisco morning show called "People Are Talking" hosted by Ross McGowan and Ann Frazier when she was first starting out. During that time she became quite a regular guest, although she was called out several times during that time for being fake then and I was surprised that she enjoyed even more success going on to Montel. I guess there were a lot of gullible people desperate to believe that she was the real deal.

Last edited by DaleK; 11-24-2013 at 10:42 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM

8,738 posts, read 6,175,147 times
Emotions are very serious business and someone is always ready to exploit them.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM

23 posts, read 21,812 times
I didnt particularly trust Sylvia Browne either but there are real psychics in the world. You cant say "all psychics are fake" unless youve met each and tested each.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:42 PM

30,332 posts, read 31,201,438 times
I don't know if she was fake or not, but her books made interesting reading material.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

255 posts, read 314,662 times
I liked her when I was younger, but I feel like she was more of a scam artist. I know you can say that about a lot of psychics but she charged people over $700 for readings. It's true that it's a persons fault that they were willing to spend that money, but still.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM

564 posts, read 847,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicAleta View Post
I didnt particularly trust Sylvia Browne either but there are real psychics in the world. You cant say "all psychics are fake" unless youve met each and tested each.
Please inform us about these real (i.e. tested and scientifically-verified) psychics. To my knowledge, no individual has ever demonstrated psychic abilities under true scientific observation and control.

I think people just tend to emphasize "hits" much more than misses. For example, when I was a teenager I had a dream that my cousin, who lived two hours away on a farm, had fallen backwards and cut open the back of his head.

Later that week, we found out that he had been chopping wood and the axe had slipped and cut his head.

Some might say this was a psychic premonition. But how many times had I dreamed something that had no connection to reality? I knew he worked on a farm and that he often used an axe, and don't most kids hurt themselves at some point?

I think we have a natural tendency to focus on coincidences and random events that seem to coincide with recent thoughts or feelings. Like when you think of someone you haven't spoken to in a long time, and they suddenly call or you run into them somewhere. We think of people all the time who never call or we never run into. Or you start humming a song, turn on the radio, and there it is. More often than not we hum songs that aren't on the radio, but we only notice when it stands out as a strange coincidence.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM

6,257 posts, read 10,331,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicAleta View Post
With the same logic, would it be fair to say "You cannot say there are real psychics out there unless you met and tested each one and found real ones"?

Not to me snarky but how would anyone verify the s-called real ones?
Or, would it take a real psychic to know another?
I could believe in the random, spontaneous psychic occurrences, but not the ones where they start getting visions at-will, after they ask for your payment method! (There is dual sarcasm in the last sentence)

Old 02-15-2014, 05:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,444,954 times
Could she tell she would feel a lot of heat in her next home?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM

7,687 posts, read 3,843,952 times
She was good at "cold reading", but John Edwards was better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or