Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 04:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Wow! It's sad that the world is still so pro-white and anti-everything else.
You do realize white is a race, whereas Hispanic is an ethnicity in which any race can be?

Also, these actors are branding themselves to go after certain roles, something in which everyone in the acting field does.

And I do not know why you state "the world" when whites are a minority in the world and make up the minority of actors, I would hardly call that being "pro-white" and "anti-everything else".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 06:54 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

And I do not know why you state "the world" when whites are a minority in the world and make up the minority of actors, I would hardly call that being "pro-white" and "anti-everything else".
I don't see whites as a "minority" at all, not in the world nor Hollywood. Even other races try to hide other ancestry to appear more white.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Of course she's not hiding anything. I didn't say that. I included her in a group of bi-racial celebrities who are light enough to pass for white. I did not imply they're hiding anything.
"Passing" implies, at least to me, that they're trying to purposely put forward that they're not bi-racial.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,610 times
Quote:
There are also rumors about Ava Gardner, Tom Sizemore, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Heather Locklear, Elvis Presley, Mae West, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Silvera, Angelina Jolie, Denise Richards, Ina Ray Hutton, Jayne Mansfield, Dorothy Lamour, Loni Anderson, Joan Bennett, Humprey Bogart, and Pernell Roberts being of African/black descent.
I forgot to add Dinah Shore.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
She was Mexican, I think? And she dyed her hair red. I never understood why she needed to hide Mexican ancestry. There were quite a few successful Mexican silent flim stars, such as Ramon Navarro who did not hide it (he had to hide that he was gay, though).

Merle Oberon's mother, I think was half white/ half Indian and her father was white/Scot.
Yes, she was. And I once saw an old photo of her before her "make-over", and she had a very low hairline that made her look different. And her hair was dark. The alteration of her hairline was a good move ~ it enhanced her face.

Anyway, that was up to 70-75 years ago. While ethnicity or race is no longer a big issue, people still alter themselves in lots of ways for the Big Picture.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
I don't see whites as a "minority" at all, not in the world nor Hollywood. Even other races try to hide other ancestry to appear more white.
White people are a minority in the world, I do not see how you cannot understand this. White people do not in any way, shape, or form make of the majority of the world population.

In regards to acting, whites make up the minority of actors in the world. India alone has more actors than the US does.

They are not "hiding" there race; it is their freedom to identify who they want to be. If the general public obviously cannot tell by phenotype, than perhaps theyare as they stated. I mean you are not going to see Will Smith go around and try to pass himself off as white.

Hispanic is an ethnicity, a term used by the US gov, and a Hispanic perosn can be of any race.

Now, how are any of these people hiding their ancestory? What exactly are they doing? Are they being asked directly and denying it? You need to show where these people are hiding their ancestory, or do you think people of certain races suppose to act and behave certain ways? Or do you think they should wear a sign? You think someone like Johnny Otis was hiding his ancestory in order to play "black" music?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
There are also rumors about Ava Gardner, Tom Sizemore, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Heather Locklear, Elvis Presley, Mae West, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Silvera, Angelina Jolie, Denise Richards, Ina Ray Hutton, Jayne Mansfield, Dorothy Lamour, Loni Anderson, Joan Bennett, Humprey Bogart, and Pernell Roberts being of African/black descent.
The ones I bolded definitely do have African ancestry; Frank Silvera, for instance, was from Jamaica and never denied his Black origins. Locklear and Depp have "admitted" that some of their ancestors were black as well. Some of the others I have suspected (Mae West, Jolie, Loni, Pernell, Dinah Shore) but don't know for sure.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
White people are a minority in the world, I do not see how you cannot understand this. White people do not in any way, shape, or form make of the majority of the world population.
White people are a minority in the world, but still hold more economic power, and power to shape cultural trands worldwide, than anyone else. Hollywood is still and always has been controlled by whites.

Quote:
In regards to acting, whites make up the minority of actors in the world. India alone has more actors than the US does.

They are not "hiding" there race; it is their freedom to identify who they want to be. If the general public obviously cannot tell by phenotype, than perhaps theyare as they stated. I mean you are not going to see Will Smith go around and try to pass himself off as white.
Not the point. Point is, at least through most of history, it benefited people to "pass" as white, or non-black, to advance in whatever career they chose. Many careers were totally closed off to people who were not white. Some actors even today choose to pass (Vin Diesel).

Quote:
Hispanic is an ethnicity, a term used by the US gov, and a Hispanic perosn can be of any race.

Now, how are any of these people hiding their ancestory? What exactly are they doing? Are they being asked directly and denying it? You need to show where these people are hiding their ancestory, or do you think people of certain races suppose to act and behave certain ways? Or do you think they should wear a sign? You think someone like Johnny Otis was hiding his ancestory in order to play "black" music?
I thought Johnny Otis was white - it was his descendants (children and grandchildren) who aren't.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, she was. And I once saw an old photo of her before her "make-over", and she had a very low hairline that made her look different. And her hair was dark. The alteration of her hairline was a good move ~ it enhanced her face.

Anyway, that was up to 70-75 years ago. While ethnicity or race is no longer a big issue, people still alter themselves in lots of ways for the Big Picture.
Even whites alter their appearance to look like another kind of white. Look at all the bleached blondes in Hollywood -- Marilyn Monroe had brown hair naturally, same with Pamela Lee Anderson. Madonna hides her Italian features by bleaching her hair, trying to look more like a Swede or German.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
You do realize white is a race, whereas Hispanic is an ethnicity in which any race can be?

Also, these actors are branding themselves to go after certain roles, something in which everyone in the acting field does.

White people may be the minority in the world these days but certainly not in Hollywood. Nearly all of the A-list actors are considered white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities