Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times

Advertisements

She died last year, and I didn't even know it. Of course she played the killer in Friday the 13th (I remember seeing her decades ago talking about first reading the script, and she asked her agent, What the hell is this crap? lol), but I remember her from the early days of TV, when she appeared on almost every game show.

Anyway, this is the downside to Antenna TV, especially the talk shows. I'm constantly looking up old celebs to see if they're still around. Betsy Palmer wasn't. But Nanette Fabray is, at 96!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
I remember her from a panel show, perhaps "I've Got A Secret" or "What's My Line" from the 1950s.

She played a killer???? WOW! Hard to picture that sweet woman in such a role. My dad had a crush on her, thought she was gorgeous as well as so pleasant.

As for Nanette, she actually had plastic surgery to increase the size of her nose. Most people get nose jobs to decrease their schnozzes.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
She died last year, and I didn't even know it. Of course she played the killer in Friday the 13th (I remember seeing her decades ago talking about first reading the script, and she asked her agent, What the hell is this crap? lol), but I remember her from the early days of TV, when she appeared on almost every game show.

Anyway, this is the downside to Antenna TV, especially the talk shows. I'm constantly looking up old celebs to see if they're still around. Betsy Palmer wasn't. But Nanette Fabray is, at 96!
I remember her and all those oldies, of which I am one.

I mentioned on another thread that I watch Carson almost every night and when he brings out a guest, I jump on Wiki to see if s/he is still alive.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:54 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
I remember Betsy Palmer, mostly from being on game shows..

gads..I must be old.

I don't recall ever seeing her in any movies though.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
I remember her from all those game shows in the '50 s and 60's. I knew she was the Mom in the movies (s) too. I was surprised because I didn't know she was an actress also. I suppose Paul Lind should have given me a clue that game show panelists could/were also actors, huhn??

I didn't know that about Nannete making her nose BIGGER! 96 years old. She musta been in her late 30s, early 40s when I used to see her. Good for her!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Downside how? Because there is so much old stuff on OTA programming? Or do you WANT an old game show channel? I have one called BUZZR. All old game shows. 65.4

Old 04-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Downside how? Because there is so much old stuff on OTA programming? Or do you WANT an old game show channel? I have one called BUZZR. All old game shows. 65.4
The downside, as I said, was that I'm always following up with guests on Antenna TV shows (talk shows or old series) to see if they're still alive. Sadly, many simply fade from the scene, but they're still around. Another one who's still alive is Alan Young ("Wilbur" in Mr. Ed), who'll be 97 this year. He's actually been active doing some voice work in children's projects, which is probably why I hadn't heard of him lately.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Well, we don't get Buzzr. I checked and, when it launched, it was available to 30% of the country, now it's 60%. Buffalo has it now, but I guess our market is too small.

It looks interesting, so I'll keep checking. It seems every time we scan, we pick up another station so you never know.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
The downside, as I said, was that I'm always following up with guests on Antenna TV shows (talk shows or old series) to see if they're still alive. Sadly, many simply fade from the scene, but they're still around. Another one who's still alive is Alan Young ("Wilbur" in Mr. Ed), who'll be 97 this year. He's actually been active doing some voice work in children's projects, which is probably why I hadn't heard of him lately.
Wow, I haven't thought of Alan Young since the last time Mr. Ed was brought up here some years ago. I wonder if I would recognize Wilbur's voice? I'd recognize Mr. Ed's!

Sorry, I didn't understand what you were saying about OTA tv.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,237 times
For the record:
Nanette Fabray is 95. She was born October 27, 1920 and will be 96 in six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities