U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:03 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,511,267 times

Advertisements

My brother and I over the holiday season had an interesting conversation about how badly some people want to meet their favorite celebrities. IMO, this is understandable when one is a pre-teen or teenager, but it becomes more puzzling when they get older.

I'm not necessarily talking about randomly seeing a celebrity on the street and asking for their autograph. I mean the type of people who will pay exorbitant amounts of money to attend meet-and-greets with their favorite celebrity, only to have one picture taken with the celeb and have it signed, and then the experience is over.

A local radio station recently asked its listeners on Facebook what their best moment of 2013 was. One listener said her best moment was meeting a particular celebrity who currently is popular. Really? 365 days out of the year and the best moment was that fleeting one where a dude that you paid money to meet gave you his autograph? Incidentally, meeting the dude in question is pretty common. I know at least five people who have met him, some who paid money to meet him at an event and a couple who just saw him at random bars, so it's not really that rare of a meeting.

Is there an expectation that a bond will be formed? That somehow, that celebrity will remember you forever and be your BFF? That somehow, he/she will pick you out of legions of fans and whisk you off into a fantasy world? Or is it just ego, so you can tell your friends that you met XYZ celebrity?

Or is it a genuine desire to meet someone famous so that you can tell them how much you admire their work? (I doubt in most cases this is it, but I guess for some it may be.)

In my previous job I met and interviewed a few celebrities and it was never a big deal, but people would come up during my interviews and interrupt them to get an autograph/picture taken, which was annoying for me.

I guess what puzzles me is, these people are just human beings doing a job. Why would you pay upwards of $300 or more to meet someone who is already rich, who will not remember you? It seems a little sad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:04 PM

407 posts, read 647,909 times
I have often wondered that myself. And while I have met a few celebs (by random chance), I have yet to go to a meet-and-greet

I guess for some people, their lives are so dull and un-fulfilling, they feel the need to live through their favorite celebrity

/And for what it's worth, that a semester of high school psycology talking

Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 PM

I guess no one on this board knows the answer or has a guess!

Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM

447 posts, read 796,239 times
I think you will get more enlightened responses if you pose your question on the psychology forum.

The peeps that come to this forum are probably the people who "Is there an expectation that a bond will be formed? That somehow, that celebrity will remember you forever and be your BFF? That somehow, he/she will pick you out of legions of fans and whisk you off into a fantasy world? Or is it just ego, so you can tell your friends that you met XYZ celebrity?"

But I've never understood it myself. I have no desire to meet a 'celebrity'. I might enjoy some of their work, and look forward to their next movie, but I understand that its a job, and they are likely nothing like the characters they portray.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
I think you will get more enlightened responses if you pose your question on the psychology forum.

The peeps that come to this forum are probably the people who "Is there an expectation that a bond will be formed? That somehow, that celebrity will remember you forever and be your BFF? That somehow, he/she will pick you out of legions of fans and whisk you off into a fantasy world? Or is it just ego, so you can tell your friends that you met XYZ celebrity?"

But I've never understood it myself. I have no desire to meet a 'celebrity'. I might enjoy some of their work, and look forward to their next movie, but I understand that its a job, and they are likely nothing like the characters they portray.

That's a good point. I guess I was hoping to understand more the people who think they'll have some sort of impact on a celebrity's life. I'll give it a little bit of time and cross post if I don't get any insightful responses.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
In this day and age many, many people dream of getting some media exposure of any kind. I think some people hope to have their 15 minutes of fame the celebrities - just look at the Facebook pages of many artists, you'll see pictures from the meet and greets or other meetings with fans, and as a result this person feels s/he is 'famous' too, or at least 'important' enough to be seen with the celebrity.

Some people may also hope the celebrity will notice them for some reason and befriend them or offer them a gig on a video or whatever (not likely to happen, but still, some people are nave - and not just teenagers!).

Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM

10,518 posts, read 11,623,635 times
I've met several, no big deal. Most of them are just very insecure and shy. My biggest thrill was meeting Soupy Sales, but then I was 10 at the time.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM

664 posts, read 669,630 times
well, some celebrities crafts are studied by the masses. like take singer and musicians. well, many of their crafts are studied. when you are great at what you do, people see that, and they want to know more about your talent. they learn from you. lots of people are influenced and inspired by artist who have great crafts.

in saying that, the only celebrity i would like to meet is Brandy. i think she's great at what she does, and her music has stayed amazing from her childhood to adulthood. she takes the time to work on her craft and she's gotten better with age. she has really influenced and inspired people in the music industry and regular everyday people.

i would NEVER do a meet an greet to meet Brandy. i'm sorry, but i'm not payin' money to meet her. that's really stupid. i would like to see her in concert though just once in my life.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,774,712 times
There are some celebrities I'd be delighted to meet in person, just because I have really enjoyed their work, but I would not go out of my way to do it. They are people like the rest of us, and being a public figure is a real burden in some ways. I would not want to add to their burden.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:54 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,443,204 times
Some people are hell-bent on meeting "stars" because they honestly think the person they see on the movie screen, stage, or whatever is really who the celebrity is as a person. Through non-stop media messaging, they are constantly being told who is valued in this country---and they actually believe it. In other words, it boils down to gullability and low self-esteem. They are attracted to the carefully-crafted persona/brand that has been developed for that celebrity. They think that if they can rub shoulders with them--even for a moment--that those attributes or their "star quality" will somehow will rub off on them. I am sure there are other psychological reasons for being fanatical about a celeb, but I think the reasons I stated above nails a big part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or