Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times

Advertisements

Yes, Janis was made to be on the Island of Misfit Toys.

She was brilliant in her own "special" way. Of course she was troubled!

How many truly talented people (and I'm not talking paint-by-numbers, etc. kind of creative wanna-be) do you know who aren't at least a little nuts?

She lived a tragic life. I once read the bio written by her sister. Those fellow PA classmates were brutal to her!

For those a little younger, think about this movie: Pretty In Pink.

I guarantee you'll have a little more compassion for Janis if you realize that's kind of what happened to her.

Does that excuse her self-destructing and self-medicating?

Nope. It just explains her poor choices and how she dealt with her own personal pain.

Last edited by picklejuice; 01-20-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:47 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm from that generation and I did not like her. She screamed instead of sang and she certainly didn't do too much to dispel the rumors that we all were on drugs.

So, why should she have? That wasn't her job. She lived HER life.

Also, she sang; just because you didn't like her doesn't mean she didn't sing. She was a true talent. I always say the best thing that came out of Texas are the blues-rockers such as Janis Joplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Vaughn, ZZ Top, etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I appreciate her passion and how she just let it all out in her singing.

That is often more moving than "perfect" technique.
EXACTLY!!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
A one hit wonder (Bobby McGee). Nothing else.
It is o.k. not to like her (or anyone else) but your comment just shows your ignorance. Hey, I mean that in a nice way. Time to make dinner. I am going to listen to Janis while I do that.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,534 times
She had a very difficult life, low self-esteem and depression. She was highly intelligent and even skipped a grade in school which made her younger then her classmates. She was frequently bullied and even many years later attending her high school reunion was a heart breaking experience for her.

I didn't care for her music in the 60's but now I appreciate her more. She was very talented and put her heart and soul into her music and performances. Many female singers (Stevie Nicks, Pink, Ann Wilson, Joan Jett, and other.) were influenced by her and she was one of the first female artists to break the "girl singer" mold that existed in folk and pop music.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
I always thought she looked old for her age but that could be part genetics and part having a tough life.
She always reminded me sort of the actress Yeardley Smith:

Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM

392 posts, read 352,025 times
Kind of the same way I think of Elvis - a phony - Yes Joplin was supposedly cool for the times. One thing stuck in my mind....Her aunt once said that "Janis actually has a very nice singing voice"......She was trying to live up to some sort of image of the tormented black torch singer...which she was not. As for Elvis...I recently heard him do a Willie Nelson tune...always on my mind. Elvis butchers the tune with that creep put on vibrato....another stinker is old Mick Jagger. He really had no special musical talent...He was a mimic. I caught a clip of him as a very young guy jamming with some old blues greats. He came across like a spastic little fool. What a career Jagger had....pretending to be black...Getting back to Joplin...if she did not buy into that crash and burn garbage of that era she may have developed into a major artist....who would have found her real voice instead of that harsh put on crap.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM

88,519 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Are you kidding? She was brilliant. Summertime, Cry Baby, Piece of My Heart, Mercedes Benz...
Janis Joplin: Biography
Yes, that was a weird comment.

I think I first heard of her when she died (I was 12), but I know her songs.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 AM

88,519 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
Kind of the same way I think of Elvis - a phony - Yes Joplin was supposedly cool for the times. One thing stuck in my mind....Her aunt once said that "Janis actually has a very nice singing voice"......She was trying to live up to some sort of image of the tormented black torch singer...which she was not. As for Elvis...I recently heard him do a Willie Nelson tune...always on my mind. Elvis butchers the tune with that creep put on vibrato....another stinker is old Mick Jagger. He really had no special musical talent...He was a mimic. I caught a clip of him as a very young guy jamming with some old blues greats. He came across like a spastic little fool. What a career Jagger had....pretending to be black...Getting back to Joplin...if she did not buy into that crash and burn garbage of that era she may have developed into a major artist....who would have found her real voice instead of that harsh put on crap.
Is this a joke?

Elvis recorded "Always on my Mind" long before Willie Nelson did. I doubt anyone had ever even yet heard of Willie Nelson when Elvis did his version.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Is this a joke?
I guess those old "phonies" fooled a lot of people! Don't buy their music--that'll show 'em!

I was still a kid when Janis died, but have heard her music most of my life. She always struck me as the kind of girl who never really fit in---hugely talented, but willing to do whatever it took to be popular. Whether that was drugs, sex, "shocking" behavior, etc.--obviously, just my opinion. She definitely made an impact. Here we are discussing her 40+ years after her death. Wasn't there a recent stage show about her?

I wonder how her life would've been had she been born in a different era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities