Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,205,755 times

Advertisements

I just saw an interview with him that was done maybe a week ago. He was alert, intelligent, witty, real, humble. He seemed to be functioning. I wonder if it was just the bad heroin that's going around right now.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,706,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I just saw an interview with him that was done maybe a week ago. He was alert, intelligent, witty, real, humble. He seemed to be functioning. I wonder if it was just the bad heroin that's going around right now.
+

Could be but there were a lot of other things found in his apartment: syringes, 20+ bags of heroin, prescription pain killers and sleeping pills (NOT prescribed to him), etc.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,092,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Wow. Heard this and thought...'He can't be much different in age than me'. I was right, both mid 40s but what puzzles me is why you dabble with heroin at this age...with a family. I can see getting mixed up with certain drugs in your early teens and 20s. But once you get established (and I think he was in his craft and with a wife and kids), I'd think your drug exposure would be booze and coke (maybe that's too 80s) if anything.

Sad.
He had been sober for 23 years and then last year or the year before had a relapse. Who's to say what could have led to him relapsing. Either way, it is very sad. If it was, as I've been hearing, heroin, then that's awful. Heroin is an evil b*tch.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,231,053 times
Former addicts often die if they relapse. I lost 2 friends to alcohol due to this, and both had been sober for 20 years. Another friend died from a cocaine overdose after he had been completely clean for 10 years.

Why they go back for another little taste is mysterious to those of us who are never addicts. I believe it's biological, and the urge never goes away. Once tolerance fades, the addict is more vulnerable to overdose.

I loved Phil Hoffman's acting. The guy just took over the screen in every scene he was in, even if his part was small. He was the biggest scene-stealer of them all, always.

Hoffman spent a lot of time intensely getting into his character's heads, and most of his characters were difficult to portray as convincingly. How does a person like him get those characters out of his own head once the job is done? How does a person who submerges himself to such depths de-compress?
Phil has been in a lot of pictures lately. Actors always take what they get, because they all think they may never work again. How tired was he? De-compression is always hardest to accomplish when it is needed the most. Maybe, if the work load ahead is as great as the work just finished, actors like him get something like PTSD going on.

Don't throw rocks at the guy. Early death isn't uncommon in his profession. Celebrate the many wonderfully complex people he presented for us to enjoy.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,594,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
and the police are looking for the drug dealer because they could be implicated in his death. Fortunately there were 2 full envelopes of the "stuff" left, so it can be tested.
Reading that article invalidates my earlier speculation regarding the potency of the heroin, in which I suggested that it must be unusually strong if he hadn't even gotten the needle out of his arm when he died. According to the article, there were 8 empty bags in the apartment, so if he was doing it alone and he'd done all 8 bags that day, he'd shot about 3/4 of a gram of smack. That'd kill an elephant. It could easily be that he'd just happened to nod off for the last time while he was trying to do one more shot.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance the police will find the supplier. They're checking his cell phone records. They'll run every number he called or texted, and every number that called or texted him. These people are usually pretty sloppy. They get used to a routine, a way of doing business where the police don't waste a lot of resources on finding ordinary low-level heroin dealers - but what they're not taking into consideration is the fact that the minute one of their customers dies, it becomes a murder investigation. And the police have lots of resources available to follow up on every lead then.

What an incredible waste. The man was one of the most utterly brilliant actors of our generation, and probably one of the most brilliant I've ever seen in any era. I'd easily rate him one of the 5 best actors I've ever seen. It's a shame that he'll never be enshrined with an Oscar. You always figured it was just a matter of time for an actor of his stature. I wonder who they can ever find to play him in the movie they'll be making?

Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,092,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Reading that article invalidates my earlier speculation regarding the potency of the heroin, in which I suggested that it must be unusually strong if he hadn't even gotten the needle out of his arm when he died. According to the article, there were 8 empty bags in the apartment, so if he was doing it alone and he'd done all 8 bags that day, he'd shot about 3/4 of a gram of smack. That'd kill an elephant. It could easily be that he'd just happened to nod off for the last time while he was trying to do one more shot.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance the police will find the supplier. They're checking his cell phone records. They'll run every number he called or texted, and every number that called or texted him. These people are usually pretty sloppy. They get used to a routine, a way of doing business where the police don't waste a lot of resources on finding ordinary low-level heroin dealers - but what they're not taking into consideration is the fact that the minute one of their customers dies, it becomes a murder investigation. And the police have lots of resources available to follow up on every lead then.

What an incredible waste. The man was one of the most utterly brilliant actors of our generation, and probably one of the most brilliant I've ever seen in any era. I'd easily rate him one of the 5 best actors I've ever seen. It's a shame that he'll never be enshrined with an Oscar. You always figured it was just a matter of time for an actor of his stature. I wonder who they can ever find to play him in the movie they'll be making?
He won an Oscar for Capote.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,007,740 times
He did win an Oscar -- for Capote. What we'll never know is how many MORE he might have won.

I didn't I've only seen one movie he was in, the little known "The Savages." (2007) He and Laura Linney are siblings who have a strained relationship with their elderly father (Phillip Bosco). "A sister and brother face the realities of familial responsibility as they begin to care for their elderly father." Sort of an "I love you but don't understand you or understand you as an adult" kind of thing.

The entire cast was great.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,594,399 times
Well, don't I feel like the fool. No excuse for not remembering that. I clearly remember the grin on his face now, and thinking to myself "about time." I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that.

Thanks for catching that!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

I agree with this. It's still hard to wrap my head around the fact that he's just gone.

Usually when a new movie comes out, even if the plot didn't look that great, if I found out he was in it, I would have to see the movie. He was the determining factor for me seeing the movie. "Oh Seymour is in it? It's a must see." He was a complete genius, and there are very few good actors out there that do parts so convincingly and that I thoroughly enjoy. I'm still bummed. Now that I've seen him in interviews, he was so down to earth, likable and humble it makes it worse.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
He did win an Oscar -- for Capote. What we'll never know is how many MORE he might have won.

I didn't I've only seen one movie he was in, the little known "The Savages." (2007) He and Laura Linney are siblings who have a strained relationship with their elderly father (Phillip Bosco). "A sister and brother face the realities of familial responsibility as they begin to care for their elderly father." Sort of an "I love you but don't understand you or understand you as an adult" kind of thing.

The entire cast was great.
Yes, this is one of those great movies that fly under the radar. Seymour and the other leading actress had great chemistry as brother and sister, dealing with what they had to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.