Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,959 times

Advertisements

The two things I remember about her where "Good Ship Lolipop" song and the drink named after her. Used to love that drink still do but haven't had one in years after my Dad chastised me for ordering one as an adult and saying that was weird for a grown man to order a kid's drink. RIP Shirley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
She was very much a "lady." She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or serial marriages like other child actors of her generation. Instead, she went into public service and became a spokesperson for her battle with cancer at a time when people did not openly discuss that.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:58 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
My two aunts were about the same age as Shirley Temple. They told me when they were kids in the 30s, what a treat it was to go see one of her films. In those hard times, with their dad out of work, they would be given a few pennies to go see Shirley sing and dance. She brought joy to them, and millions of other folks all over the world. RIP Shirley Temple Black.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:49 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
So sad- I was just thinking about her and Mickey Rooney yesterday. Weird.

They used to air Shirley Temple movies and Andy Hardy on Sundays when I was a kid. It's sad, too, what's going on with Rooney.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Boy I loved her as a kid. Saw many re-runs of her.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Wasnt she just super talented... it said she could learn dance steps after watching someone do them once. amazing lovely child.. and seems to have been a very lovely person too.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
She always said in interviews that her parents were very sensible and not stage parents who pushed their kids into fame. I think that has a lot to do with her growing up to be a mature, successful adult rather than a troubled child actor like so many Hollywood kids both then and now.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM

70 posts, read 104,187 times
My love of Shirley Temple always makes me think of the three things I wanted to be when I "grew up" as a child.

At three years old, I had my first visit to the beach, fell in love with the ocean and wanted to be mermaid. Why? So I could rescue handsome sailors from the sea from shipwrecks and be a big heroine. I remember sitting on craggy rocks by the tide pools looking out at sea at the ships just waiting for that big opportunity to come. (Little Princess?)

At four years old, I wanted to be Shirley Temple. I first saw her black and white movies on TV. I loved to sing and dance and watch the shows to learn all the songs. Then I'd follow my poor mother around the house performing all these songs, and fortunately she was very patient with my belief I would be a Hollywood child star some day. I think my favorite songs were "I Love to Walk in the Rain" "A Happy Little Ditty" and "At the Codfish Ball."

At five years old, I decided I was going to be a "famous writer" and write fantasy children's books. I remember reading the Greek Myths and being captivated by all the characters and adventures and wanted a Pegasus the Flying Horse. I believed I wouldn't truly be famous unless I was on the cover of Time Magazine. Why? Because my parents loved politics and subscribed to the magazine I saw on the coffee table and isn't that where all the famous people had their picture?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
She was very much a "lady." She didn't turn to drugs or alcohol or serial marriages like other child actors of her generation. Instead, she went into public service and became a spokesperson for her battle with cancer at a time when people did not openly discuss that.
Even at her extremely young age, you could tell her maturity level was way above and beyond girls that are 5, even 10 years older than her. You can tell that from the tone of her voice too. She was very adult-like despite her cute-as-a-button looks. She had class but also a genuine charm.

Most of today's young celebrities seem insincere, arrogant or spoiled.

They sure don't make 'em like her any more but also Tinseltown is way more saturated and jaded than those days too. Sad.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I have to disagree, it seems Hollywood was very jaded even back then with child stars like Judy Garland given diet pills for her weight by the studios.. but that was then and like many things they might have thought it was harmless..... Shirley did seem unspoilt by all her success and most of the presents she was sent by fans were gven to childrens homes.. wasnt she the cutest wee girl and those dresses and dungarees.. http://entertainment.time.com/2014/0...e-remembrance/ and Shirley with her own hair and no hair pieces..

nobody does it better or ever will...

Last edited by dizzybint; 02-14-2014 at 01:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities