Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 04:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times

Advertisements

Red Buttons - Red Buttons was born Aaron Chwatt on February 5, 1919, in New York City, to Jewish immigrants Sophie (née Baker) and Michael Chwatt. Buttons worked on the Borscht Belt; his straight man was Robert Alda.

His career spanned more than 50 years, including his performance in the 1957 film "Sayonara' starring Marlon Brando. Sayonara won four Academy Awards, including acting honors for co-stars Red Buttons and Miyoshi Umeki.

-

Capucine - Capucine (6 January 1928 – 17 March 1990) Capucine was born Germaine Hélène Irène Lefebvre on 6 January 1928 in Saint-Raphaël, Var, France, was a French fashion model and actress known for her comedic roles in The Pink Panther (1963) and What's New Pussycat?

She became a fashion model, working for fashion houses Givenchy and Christian Dior. She adopted the name, "Capucine" (French for nasturtium). She met Audrey Hepburn while modeling for Givenchy in Paris. The two would remain close friends for the rest of Capucine's life.

On 17 March 1990, Capucine jumped to her death from her eighth-floor apartment in Lausanne, Switzerland, where she had lived for 28 years, having reportedly suffered from illness and depression for some time.

------

Here are Red Buttons, Capucine, John Wayne, and several adorable elephants in the film Hatari! Music composed by Henry Mancini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIMhc4LOHQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 04:39 AM

Just digging around for the great comedies of Paula Prentiss and Jim Hutton, I am depressed by the lack of film footage to be found. These are lost films - they're gone -
And they were so great together.

Hard to believe that movies made in my lifetime are all but impossible to find now. It's a tragedy.

The past disappears ever and ever faster. Who will save it? Or perhaps it is already too late.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:07 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Danny Kaye
Dub Taylor
Red Buttons
Michael York
James Mason
Robert Shaw
A Man For All Seasons - the entire cast Wendy Hiller, Paul Scofield, Orson Welles, more
Dwayne Hickman & the entire cast of Dobie Gillis
The entire cast of Our Miss Brooks
Richard Boone (Paladin, Have Gun Will Travel)
Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo)
Paula Prentiss
Sue Lyon
Capucine
Elsa Martinelli

I don't think most on your list really fit the theme of this thread. They were all, and still are, considered well known (not lesser) actors and some even considered big stars. This thread is supposed to be about those actors known more by face, but not necessarily by name. The ones that even at the time they were acting and active in current film, no one really knew their names-- only their faces.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I don't think most on your list really fit the theme of this thread. They were all, and still are, considered well known (not lesser) stars. This thread is supposed to be about those actors you know by face, but not necessarily by name. The ones that even at the time they were acting and active in current film, no one really knew their names-- only their faces.
Bowing out. I wouldn't wish to intrude on your self-declared narrow criteria. I didn't realize that you had ultimate approval of who is a 'lesser star' and who is not. Perhaps you should have posted guidelines to begin with, so such inappropriate posts as mine would never have found their way here to begin with.

Adios, goodbye, saronaya. Sorry I stumbled through the wrong door. - Leaving now - Enjoy your fiefdom.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Bowing out. I wouldn't wish to intrude on your self-declared narrow criteria. I didn't realize that you had ultimate approval of who is a 'lesser star' and who is not. Perhaps you should have posted guidelines to begin with, so such inappropriate posts as mine would never have found their way here to begin with.

Adios, goodbye, saronaya. Sorry I stumbled through the wrong door. - Leaving now - Enjoy your fiefdom.

LOL! Aren't you a live wire (guessing PMS or worse?) and cretin!

With such a short fuse, and such a limited knowledge of the subject, you really don't belong here anyways. Good riddance!

P.S. Anyone posting on this thread, please see post #1; I believe I made it very clear what I am looking for.

Last edited by picklejuice; 09-18-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 06:10 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

Well, okay...if you must take the Goodbye, cruel world route....

But the minute I saw Red Buttons, I thought to myself, "Lesser known?" Not fer nothin', but Red Buttons was very well-known--in his day. Which supports what I suggested on one of those RIP threads: some people who were noted stars years ago get very little press now when they die because writers, publishers, etc. of today simply don't remember them.

You shouldn't take comments personally when they're not meant that way.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:47 PM

Marc Lawrence - IMDb

Marc Lawrence

Old 09-20-2015, 02:26 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
One "character actor" of decades past that I always liked was Albert Salmi.
With his last name ending in "i", I thought he was Italian-American. But he was Finnish-American.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Salmi

Old 09-20-2015, 02:28 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Dave Allen

Irish comidian from the 70s had a missing finger not as famous in the USA but best I've seen funny ain't the word

Old 09-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Dave Allen

Irish comidian from the 70s had a missing finger not as famous in the USA but best I've seen funny ain't the word
Great one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Allen_(comedian)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities