Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,868 times

Advertisements

I've no idea about his accent, but I pick up accents like a sponge. If I'm around a certain person long enough or even find myself deeply immersed in a great film, I will hear myself speaking that way for the next few hours or until I'm away from said person/place. Happens in foreign countries, as well. I don't mean to do it because it DOES come off as fake, but I honestly just start to speak and there it is. When I was 12, I was told I did this while in a foreign country, but I don't recall it. I'm just more conscious of it now that I'm ..... many years older!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
A lot of unnecessary hatred towards the guy. With some actors or celebrities, it's deserved, but so far the reason for hating in Depp in this thread are "he thinks he's so cool" and girls love him. Envy is a stinky cologne.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Definitely no envy here. I just don't care for pretentious people.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,313,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
I've no idea about his accent, but I pick up accents like a sponge. If I'm around a certain person long enough or even find myself deeply immersed in a great film, I will hear myself speaking that way for the next few hours or until I'm away from said person/place. Happens in foreign countries, as well. I don't mean to do it because it DOES come off as fake, but I honestly just start to speak and there it is. When I was 12, I was told I did this while in a foreign country, but I don't recall it. I'm just more conscious of it now that I'm ..... many years older!!
Perhaps if you have an 'ear' for such as a good actor would, then it happens. Perhaps it is cultivated.

I was raised in the mountains of NC and my mother's people had strong Appalachian accents. My grandmother spoke the old dialect. My father's people spoke with the soft piedmont southern accent. When I was with one or the other, I tended to favor that accent not being fake just reflecting what I was hearing.

Would think that an actor who makes his living out of being characters or having accents and mannerisms would at least unconsciously pick up such or maybe deliberately since that is his job.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
A lot of unnecessary hatred towards the guy. With some actors or celebrities, it's deserved, but so far the reason for hating in Depp in this thread are "he thinks he's so cool" and girls love him. Envy is a stinky cologne.
I'm female, so....no envy there.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post

Here we go again. Commenting on his (and others') affected accents makes us "haters." Not. And forget the "envy," as I'm female, too. As Martha Stewart might say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

Where's the snooze smiley?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:40 PM

12,221 posts, read 2,963,596 times
Either preparing for a role or being a phony. I'm not a huge fan of Kathy Griffin but she calls that a manufactured accent when one of these Hollywood types thinks it improves their image to speak in an accent, even if it's just one they made up.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 AM

37 posts, read 47,123 times
They say its legit. He has apparently had a strangely confusing accent for years.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:52 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,952,776 times
I enjoy Johnny Depp, but I agree his "accent" has changed over time. If you go back and look at early interviews of him from his teens and early twenties, he clearly sounds "American". Then flash forward 20 years and he clearly has a "British accent".

Madonna did the same thing. I saw an interview where the person asked her about it and Madonna snarled at her and said nothing is different in the way she speaks. Go figure, I sure hear a difference.

Honestly I don't care one way or the other if celebrities change their "accents". Maybe they are doing it on purpose or maybe they just pick it up from all their worldly travels. I know when I am talking with someone with a different accent I pick it up and find myself talking the same way. Sometimes I even do it for fun. I went a whole day talking with an accent and oddly enough no one said a word.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times
Anyone think he's just adopted a "Mid-Atlantic" accent like the actors from the thirties, Dah-lings?
Mid Atlantic Accents | Actors' Atelier
That's what it sounds like to me. He's always been a bit of an oddball. His new "fiancée" does remind me of the old saying "there's no fool like an old fool" (I'm just a couple of years older so I can say that ).
I'm still a fan .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities