U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times

Advertisements

Paul Simon's wife: 'I picked a fight with my husband' - CNN.com

Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,762,511 times
Yes, I think that it's a private matter between the two that law enforcement shouldn't get involved in. I know that view will get me stoned by many who think I'm advocating spousal abuse or some return to the dark ages kind of thing, I'm not, but I am saying that if the two simply had a spat strictly between the two of them, it's their private business in my opinion.

The judge declined to issue a protective order? Well yes. If a HUSBAND and WIFE want to be together, no one should have the right to ORDER them to not be around each other. That's their business. Hello, they're HUSBAND and WIFE.

It's funny to me that you have to specify that you want to press charges and specify that you wish to if some stranger is alleged to have hurt you, as we learned (at least that's how I took it anyway) when Naomi Campbell was accused of assaulting a cab driver but the case was dismissed due to the cab driver not wanting to press charges. Yet a spouse can't choose not to press charges against their mate? That's nuts.

I understand that we don't want a return to the days when we looked the other way while a husband was a first-class jerk to his wife a la "The Burning Bed" (Farrah Fawcett). When you are speaking of situations like that to where the victim is begging for their freedom, I am 100% for throwing the book at the abuser. Even in mutual consent situations, if it reaches the point of broken bones etc and ESPECIALLY murder, obviously that requires a response. However, when we get involved to the point we think every single marital spat is up for scrutiny, we are violating the sanctity of marriage and people's privacy.

I recall when the Tiger Woods scandal broke, and people were wanting so badly to know if he was covering for Ellen who had smashed in his vehicle with a golf club. My response to that--that's their business. I mean, gee, Tiger Woods was a billionaire so obviously he would not have been economically dependent on Ellen and "stuck" with her etc, he would be very able to leave her. Lacking the "economic dependence" issue and him coming from the angle of a victim needing help from a monster abuser, I felt that it was nobody's business. Naturally it turned out he was trying to prevent a sex scandal from breaking, but even if it had been what we had initially thought, I was totally okay with the idea that their fights were their business and their business alone.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM

30,487 posts, read 9,110,523 times
I knew he was a jerk when he refused Kodak's offer to appear in the last roll of Kodachrome film. De Niro jumped in to represent the celebrity element, one of many pictures that were supposed to capture Americana on that iconic film brand.

BTW, I think I sadly see another Mickey Rooney in the making.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM

8,740 posts, read 6,178,266 times
Mickey Rooney?

I hope she's not a typical victim, minimizing the argument or whatever it was and taking the blame. Who's to say? But when 911 is called for a domestic, both parties get arrested in most, if not all, States. It's a private matter but with celebs, the media gets a whiff and it's all public domain.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,761,094 times
"The problem is all inside your head”
She said to me
“The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover”

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM

51,671 posts, read 12,655,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
"The problem is all inside your head”
She said to me
“The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover”
LOL!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,446,366 times
Not impressed with either of them before this event either.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

3,687 posts, read 3,926,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Not impressed with either of them before this event either.
Yea, Paul Simon...what a loser!

You don't have to be a fan of either of their music but it's funny that you would not be even a little impressed with his long standing career. I heard "What I Am" on the radio this morning, oddly enough, but I'm not really aware of Edie Brickell doing much more than some 80's music.

I have no idea about his personal life, nor do I care...but I can't deny his impact on the music world.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:45 PM

9,286 posts, read 16,139,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, I think that it's a private matter between the two that law enforcement shouldn't get involved in. I know that view will get me stoned by many who think I'm advocating spousal abuse or some return to the dark ages kind of thing, I'm not, but I am saying that if the two simply had a spat strictly between the two of them, it's their private business in my opinion.

The judge declined to issue a protective order? Well yes. If a HUSBAND and WIFE want to be together, no one should have the right to ORDER them to not be around each other. That's their business. Hello, they're HUSBAND and WIFE.

It's funny to me that you have to specify that you want to press charges and specify that you wish to if some stranger is alleged to have hurt you, as we learned (at least that's how I took it anyway) when Naomi Campbell was accused of assaulting a cab driver but the case was dismissed due to the cab driver not wanting to press charges. Yet a spouse can't choose not to press charges against their mate? That's nuts.

I understand that we don't want a return to the days when we looked the other way while a husband was a first-class jerk to his wife a la "The Burning Bed" (Farrah Fawcett). When you are speaking of situations like that to where the victim is begging for their freedom, I am 100% for throwing the book at the abuser. Even in mutual consent situations, if it reaches the point of broken bones etc and ESPECIALLY murder, obviously that requires a response. However, when we get involved to the point we think every single marital spat is up for scrutiny, we are violating the sanctity of marriage and people's privacy.

I recall when the Tiger Woods scandal broke, and people were wanting so badly to know if he was covering for Ellen who had smashed in his vehicle with a golf club. My response to that--that's their business. I mean, gee, Tiger Woods was a billionaire so obviously he would not have been economically dependent on Ellen and "stuck" with her etc, he would be very able to leave her. Lacking the "economic dependence" issue and him coming from the angle of a victim needing help from a monster abuser, I felt that it was nobody's business. Naturally it turned out he was trying to prevent a sex scandal from breaking, but even if it had been what we had initially thought, I was totally okay with the idea that their fights were their business and their business alone.
the reason police press charges in a battered spouse case, even if the battered spouse says he or she does not want to press charges, is that quite often that battered spouse is so beaten down mentally, they are afraid to press charges.... no matter how BRUTALLY they are treated..... so with the police doing the dirty work, it lets the battered spouse off the hook and allows prosecution of the abuser......

Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM

6,450 posts, read 6,464,610 times
One of them called the cops...the cops didn't go knocking on the Simon's door for an autograph...they saw evidence of a physical confrontation and she was singing like a bird as to what each did to the other...LEO just did their job...even rich successful people can and do beat the crud out of each other...success in one area doesn't excuse illegal acts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or