U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times

Advertisements

an excellent pianist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Liberace was a schooled and accomplished pianist. ***** as a $3 bill, but very talented and knowledgeable about music.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 PM

1,107 posts, read 857,097 times
Darn good piano player. I remember as a kid I would go watch him on TV when I hear about him coming on.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM

66 posts, read 53,185 times
He was actually a very talented pianist...child prodigy even.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:18 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,763,880 times

Liberace Polonaise in A-flat major Chopin.wmv - YouTube

I had to do a bit of research on him after this thread. Found this and really enjoyed his rendition of Chopin's Polonaise. I absolutely love Chopin! If I had just two choices of music on a desert isle, it would be Chopin and Bach. A bit flamboyant but I'm sure Chopin would be proud of this performance. Frankly, I enjoyed listening to this more than some of the other renditions I've heard from other great artists. And my gosh, he is adorable introducing the piece. I can see why women swooned over him during his prime.

It's funny listening to some of the great piano artists, especially Horowitz. A musical genius but he made tons of mistakes on some recordings I've heard. The passion and soul come through though and that is what makes them so unique. I'm no musical expert but Liberace seems to have that special gift for music. Perhaps not the number one Chopin interpreter but he demonstrates his skills quite nicely and brought classical pieces, albeit a bit embellished, to the masses.

Very interesting thread. Going to have to read up more on him and try to forget what I saw in Behind the Candelabra!

Last edited by Siggy20; 06-25-2014 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,065,436 times
Default he was great

I think he was amazing, just watch him play some of those classical pieces, it was effortless I am always amazed when people say he was all show or he was a third rate keyboard player.I think people who like classical music want their performers very reserved.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 857,097 times
Too bad Liberace wasn't a rock star.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 PM

14,960 posts, read 8,529,518 times
Interesting subject.

Liberace movie Behind the Candelabra: Was he a good pianist? (VIDEO)

Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,763,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I think he was amazing, just watch him play some of those classical pieces, it was effortless I am always amazed when people say he was all show or he was a third rate keyboard player.I think people who like classical music want their performers very reserved.
I agree with you. I've found some, not all, classical music audiences very snobby and anything out of the norm is met with distain and criticism. I personally love opera but wow, were some of the audience members plain old nasty and cranky. I find the whole classical music elite crowd silly at times. Sadly, classical music needs a boost in the arm and greatly in need of younger fans. If Liberace inspired young musicians to take up the piano, even better. Where is our modern Liberace?

I think the path of a concert classical pianist would be very grueling. Many hours a day of practicing and true dedication. From Suburban Guy posted, it seems that he had the potential to be one of the greats. But would this suit his personality? I'm sure that any flamboyance or lack of reserve playing some of the great composers would shock more traditional audiences. Seems like he more wanted to entertain and probably had more fun than some of the great classical pianists taking the path he did.

The article also mentioned Paderewski and his showmanship (Liberace's idol). As a young pianist, I had such fun with some of his pieces. Very loud, flamboyant and fun to play!! Piano should be fun.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:13 PM

18,235 posts, read 11,645,412 times
For years scores of mothers watched Liberace in performance either in person or on television and said they hoped their sons would grow up like him. An equal number of fathers prayed they would not. *LOL*

Take Liberace and say Van Cliburn. Contemporaries and both gay men their careers were vastly different. Liberace was a very good to excellent pianist but chose to use his talents towards what made him money, being Mr. Showmanship.

Mr. Cliburn was an artist in a more classical sense and probably like other more serious pianists looked down upon if not despised some of Liberace's antics as not being in tune with serious art.

However when it comes down to it who does the general public at large remember more? Probably Liberace even if is piano skills or "art" wasn't up to concert hall/classical art standards always. The man certainly made bank which is more than can be said for many pure artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities