Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times

Advertisements

One point I've pondered, and in doing so, I know I am going to almost for sure run smack against 95% of the opinions of most people nowadays but will address anyway, is celebrities getting special treatment, and the expectations that it's normal as opposed to people being upset about it.

I think of incidents such as Reese Witherspoon last year, and then compare it to incidents such as the one many years ago involving Phil Collins and the Pump Room that inspired the title of his album "No Jacket Required," and also about 2-odd years ago when Michael Jordan was aggravated at a golf club with regards to what he was wearing.

In the case of the Phil Collins incident, he was denied admittance to a restaurant called the Pump Room due to his jacket, in their mind, not measuring up to snuff. It upset him enough that he talked on David Letterman & the like about it. Upon the restaurant realizing that they had denied freaking Phil Collins admittance to their restaurant, they were apologetic about it to the point of even sending him a complimentary jacket and saying he was welcome back anytime he pleased. From what I remember, not a single soul was saying the things you hear now "typical celebrity thinking he's above the rules." I got a sense that people's attitudes then were more along the lines of "if freaking Phil Collins shows up to your restaurant, you don't get all petty about a bunch of stupid rules. It's Phil freaking Collins for crying out loud."

But anymore, people have seem to totally done a 180 on this, and seem to almost take JOY in seeing that celebrities don't get any special privileges. The Reese Witherspoon incident last year is a good example, but there are plenty of others.

At the same time, when a couple of years ago Michael Jordan was asked to change his clothes at a golf course, it was somewhat a 50/50 response. Yes there were many saying "typical celebrity that thinks he's above the rules" but there were also plenty saying "he's Michael freaking Jordan, he can wear whatever the heck he wants."

The Michael Jordan example notwithstanding, as that's a recent occurrence, this seems to be something that's changed in the past 10-15 years or so. Am I right, and if so, what caused it?

As for what I think--I kind of LIKE the idea of celebrities or people like Bill Gates etc getting special attention. Really, I do. I guess it's because there are so many drudgeries in life that are just so annoying to deal with, and if being somebody provides one the means to bypass a lot of such petty nonsense, then that means that there's hope for escaping that sort of petty tyranny. I used to see how, in TV shows like "Dallas" with JR Ewing or "Young & Restless" with Victor Newman, Katherine Chancellor or Jack Abbott, people in position were able to sidestep a lot of aggravating nonsense due to people knowing who they were, and it was just accepted as "the way things are" like it was the most normal thing.

I likely will never be somebody, but I'd hate to think I had arrived to the point of being a "somebody" and STILL had to deal with petty nonsense, because I don't WANT to have to if I could help it. Remember that early scene in "Doc Hollywood" where the Michael J Fox character, stuck behind road construction, sees an opening and drives on the grass zooming past everyone else and getting out of that logjam and cranking it on down the road? Oh yes! I have NO interest in the least with dealing with the drudgeries of life like that, I am interested in demolishing them and smashing them to bits, and bypassing them by whatever means necessary. Frankly, I somewhat APPLAUD celebrities utilizing whatever tools they have at their disposal to swat aside such nonsense as the annoying fly that it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:09 PM

551 posts, read 582,708 times
The irony in the whole thing is, is that the few who can actually afford luxury are often the ones gifted with it- you hear frequently of celebrities receiving "swag" - thousands and thousands of dollars worth, not to mention all the designers or companies who lend or give their merchandise to celebrities to wear in order to gain exposure. The wealthy also receive perks and generosity from their equally wealthy peers- use of lavish vacation homes for no charge, etc.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Yes, I have noticed that, and it is kind of peculiar. It is their right to do it that way, but yes it is kind of funny if you analyze it any. For instance, the MVP of the NBA, last I heard, gets a free car as part of the award. How does someone who makes $15-20 million a year need a free car when they already have plenty of money to buy one anyway? Wouldn't it make sense for someone who's in a "down on their luck" situation to get a free car instead?

In that respect, I do admit I like it when I hear stories such as the time that Shaquille O'Neal bought a new vehicle for a maintenance worker or the like whom he found out was getting around in an old beat-up vehicle (I tried to find a link to the story, but I couldn't) or when he paid for George Mikan's funeral. Then there's the time that Oprah bought a new car for every audience member (although she botched that with respect to the tax situation). I do like hearing of such things as much as the next guy or lady.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I don't mind hospitality services having special VIP services. In fact it makes business sense. I think celebrities often need special treatment due to their work.
However, I am more impressed with humility than entitlement and the diva persona. For instance, I have read numerous times that Jennifer Lopez's entourage warns service people not to look her in the eye. WTF? Very poor behavior IMO.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I don't mind hospitality services having special VIP services. In fact it makes business sense. I think celebrities often need special treatment due to their work.
However, I am more impressed with humility than entitlement and the diva persona. For instance, I have read numerous times that Jennifer Lopez's entourage warns service people not to look her in the eye. WTF? Very poor behavior IMO.
Great point and I agree. If a celebrity needs special accommodations like security to protect them from over enthusiastic fans, that is part of the whole package. Quiet VIP treatment would bring some sanity to the process.

Reading about the twits like Jennifer Lopez though make me cringe. My daughter was getting on me today as I was going through the drive through at a fast food restaurant. I wished the cashier a happy 4th of July and he lit up like a Christmas tree. We chatted for a few minutes while they were getting my food together. My daughter ragged on me about being so open and friendly to people "like that." Needless to say, this prompted a huge discussion and a lecture on my part. Be nice to people...doesn't matter if you are a celebrity or a person that mops floors for a living. Celebrities that act like divas can go stick their heads in a toilet.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:

If service people would just realize that she is just "Jenny from the block" and ignore these demands the world would be a better place. Why should the public have to bow to these idiots? They don't have special powers.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:

Read it from tabloids am I right? You actually believe something like that?

Old 07-10-2014, 08:38 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:

Doesn't that slay you? A lot of celebs have demanded that their underlings not look them in the eye. Madonna was known for it, and she also is reported to have "taught" Justin Timberlake to do the same when she did a music video with him. Alec Baldwin was another one. Apparently, he has a long-running problem with working stiffs (that'd be any profession other than acting), and announced that directive to the contractors/plumbers/electricians who might have the audacity to encounter him while they were renovating one of his homes.

But they're all at the homeless shelter dishing out food to the homeless for a holiday photo-op. It's the middle-class they want nothing to do with.

I'd tell each of them "adios" with a smile on my face.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 PM

12,233 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Not at all. Studios used to cover for celebs. The media back then chose not to report some negative news. Believe it or not.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

As for what I think--I kind of LIKE the idea of celebrities or people like Bill Gates etc getting special attention. Really, I do. I guess it's because there are so many drudgeries in life that are just so annoying to deal with, and if being somebody provides one the means to bypass a lot of such petty nonsense, then that means that there's hope for escaping that sort of petty tyranny. I used to see how, in TV shows like "Dallas" with JR Ewing or "Young & Restless" with Victor Newman, Katherine Chancellor or Jack Abbott, people in position were able to sidestep a lot of aggravating nonsense due to people knowing who they were, and it was just accepted as "the way things are" like it was the most normal thing.
Oh Boy do I disagree with this. We are all EQUAL. People have fought and died to bring this about. If you don't like petty tyranny then try to get rid of petty tyranny. And what is so petty tyranny about owning a business, having a dress code and expecting people to respect it? Collins didn't have to eat there.
Don't create a class of people who don't have to abide by the rules good grief. Why don't you just drag us back to 1800's England where all the land, people and the govt were practically owned by the aristocracy? Actually I'm sure there are places still like that you could move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities