U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM

7,823 posts, read 5,455,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
You know what happens when you assume right? I am a conservative and I think what Joan said is disgusting...to me she is not funny...she is vile. However, it's America and we have free speech
Correction then...some conservatives here.

I feel the same as you about her. I never could stand her and never thought she was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 02:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,621,396 times
I think she is extremely funny and it's delightful that she is not politically correct. She does not spare ANY president, whether he is the current one or another one. She is a survivor and I'm so glad she is. Her mind is so quick. Much quicker than her critics. Too bad her critics don't have her bank account. When her husband committed suicide she finally got herself back together and is better than ever. If her critics looked at their own lives they would discover how much time is spent badmouthing other people who have what it takes to survive.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,542,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think she is extremely funny and it's delightful that she is not politically correct. She does not spare ANY president, whether he is the current one or another one. She is a survivor and I'm so glad she is. Her mind is so quick. Much quicker than her critics. Too bad her critics don't have her bank account. When her husband committed suicide she finally got herself back together and is better than ever. If her critics looked at their own lives they would discover how much time is spent badmouthing other people who have what it takes to survive.

Please explain why she's allowed to criticize whomever she wants however she wants, but no one is allowed to criticize her?

I would suggest she grow a thicker skin, but I think she's stretched it all too much for that to be possible.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:13 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Please explain why she's allowed to criticize whomever she wants however she wants, but no one is allowed to criticize her?

I would suggest she grow a thicker skin, but I think she's stretched it all too much for that to be possible.
my take on what happened: it came across like a complete ambush. Anyone who authors a book and goes on TV to promote said book probably anticipates spending the few minutes discussing the book. It wasn't a debate about wearing fur or why it is or isn't appropriate to diss what people wear on Fashion Police. It was supposed to be Joan Rivers discussing her book. Period. If the interviewer wanted to ask in a responsible manner the questions she asked then the TV spot should have been set up as such.
It felt like the interviewer had complete disdain for Ms. Rivers from the get-go. Just MHO

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 07-06-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my take on what happened: it came across like a complete ambush. Anyone who authors a book and goes on TV to promote said book probably anticipates spending the few minutes discussing the book. It wasn't a debate about wearing fur or why it is or isn't appropriate to diss what people wear on Fashion Police. It was supposed to be Joan Rivers discussing her book. Period. If the interviewer wanted to ask in a responsible manner the questions she asked then the TV spot should have been set up as such.
It felt like the interviewer had complete disdain for Ms. Rivers from the get-go. Just MHO
I still don't understand why people aren't allowed to criticize her (not that I think that's what the interviewer was doing). Just because she wrote a book, that doesn't mean that she gets a pass from being criticized. She certainly doesn't give anyone a pass from being criticized. Hell, she blasted the three women who were held hostage in Cleveland. I mean, really??

Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM

9,159 posts, read 6,347,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Of course, conservatives here will praise her for what she said because of their hatred for the Obamas.
Mighty broad brush you got there, but it's way off the mark. No surprise, any opportunity you can imagine to assign nasty motives to your party's opposition, even when they don't exist.

As a matter of fact, I thought the remark Ms Rivers made about the Obamas was rather tasteless and pointless, and I don't know why she said it. I also don't know why she walked off the set of CNN, unless she just didn't see the point of continuing her interview when the host was trying so hard to fit her into the little PC mold that's become so pervasive in the news media and in real life, and Ms. Rivers wasn't having it.

Joan Rivers has been around for eons and hers is a raucus say what you think and let the chips fall where they may style, like it or not. The point she made to the CNN host before she left was that she says out loud what people are thinking or might comment to a friend of theirs in private, and it's meant as a bit of humor. There are other comedians who do the same thing, but there is no reason to take what they say seriously or to get so bent out of shape over what they say.

It's a sad commentary, IMO, that so many have become so thin-skinned and anxious to find offense anywhere they can, that they cannot appreciate the sense of the ridiculous that Ms. Rivers points at in her comments.

And as for your political reference, I guess you and your liberal buddies just never will understand the concept that one may dislike the political perspectives and ideology of a political figure, and dislike the path on which this particular political operative is leading the country, but the man's skin color, race or ethnicity is incidental and has nothing to do with the disagreement of his policies and beliefs.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I still don't understand why people aren't allowed to criticize her (not that I think that's what the interviewer was doing). Just because she wrote a book, that doesn't mean that she gets a pass from being criticized. She certainly doesn't give anyone a pass from being criticized. Hell, she blasted the three women who were held hostage in Cleveland. I mean, really??

a guest promoting a book is treated as a guest--not invited to berate the invited guest.
It's not brain surgery.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM

34,611 posts, read 42,779,610 times
It smacks of a publicity stunt to me. I doubt Joan's latest book will generate much interest without it.

Otherwise, why would she go on CNN, a network nobody watches except if they're held captive at an airport or doctor's office, except to walk off over some made up slight?

Joan is a scrapper, and I admire her tenacity through the hard times. She's an unapologetic media *****.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,648 times
The interviewer didn't know when to move on. It was alright to ask the question once, but she really started repeating herself, all the while keep a fake-friendly smile on her face.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
a guest promoting a book is treated as a guest--not invited to berate the invited guest.
It's not brain surgery.
A guest who is known for being antagonistic and controversial will have to face questions related to the controversies, book or no book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or