U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 AM

120 posts, read 139,546 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure the people screaming outrage here really bothered to read what he actually said...He was talking on the subject of drug and alcohol addiction and was using an extreme example to express his outrage. Here's the entirety of the quote:

'The world is a harsh place.' My mother was in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. I don't want to hear f**k all about "the world as a harsh place." She gets up every day, smells the roses and loves life," the 64-year-old told SongFacts.com. "And for a putz, 20-year-old kid to say, 'I'm depressed, I live in Seattle.' F**k you, then kill yourself."

Gene Simmons tells depressed people 'kill yourself' | Fox News

I'm not defending what he said, but try to keep it in context before getting the gallows ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
I don't see how the entirety of the quote makes it any better.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 AM

120 posts, read 139,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't see how the entirety of the quote makes it any better.
It doesn't, but it just adds some perspective for people who think he was telling anybody having a bad day to blow their brains out.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
It doesn't, but it just adds some perspective for people who think he was telling anybody having a bad day to blow their brains out.
I don't think anyone was thinking that.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
The bottom line for Gene:

Nazi concentration camp experience

versus...

___________ (fill in the blank).

His mother had been through, and endured, the unspeakable. And still, she gets up every morning with purpose and gratefulness.

I don't agree with Gene, but I get it.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

versus...

His mother had been through, and endured, the unspeakable. And still, she gets up every morning with purpose and gratefulness.

So because someone has been through something worse, that invalidates everyone else's troubles? If you weren't in a concentration camp, then you need to shut up and get over it or kill yourself? Wow.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
Quote:

versus...

I get it, too.
The comment was taken out of context I think.
I'm not a fan of his-
But he is very outspoken & I respect the fact that he doesn't filter everything to be politically correct.

And I agree w/ his logic- so many people face extreme unbelievable setbacks & adversity-
yet fight through & persevere.
The whiners who love to pretend they have "problems" that are really stupid self defeating habits-
don't know how hard life really can be.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
So because someone has been through something worse, that invalidates everyone else's troubles? If you weren't in a concentration camp, then you need to shut up and get over it or kill yourself? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I get it, too.
The comment was taken out of context I think.
I'm not a fan of his-
But he is very outspoken & I respect the fact that he doesn't filter everything to be politically correct.

so many people face extreme unbelievable setbacks & adversity-
yet fight through & persevere.
The whiners who love to pretend they have "problems" that are really stupid self defeating habits-
don't know how hard life really can be
Exactly.

Great answer for apexgds, too.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 PM

12,842 posts, read 24,468,229 times
His mentioning the concentration camp ignores the basic issue- depression. Depression isn't about experiences or "about my life" although it sometimes looks that way. Depression is an illness that defies all logic or realities.
Not to mention that plenty of people survived war and the camps and then killed themselves from depression. It is a real illness and it can be very lethal and Simmons, besides being an attention *****, is showing his ignorance.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

Great answer for apexgds, too.
Nope. I disagree. Completely. Whole heartedly. Not everyone going through something less than a concentration camp is just a self-defeating whiner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or