U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM
 
14,931 posts, read 26,635,658 times
Reputation: 18136

Advertisements

Survivors Lead Singer "Eye of the Tiger" Jimi Jamison has passed away Sunday at the age of 63.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/26...ies-in-memphis
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,324 posts, read 12,413,543 times
Reputation: 15395
I read this in the paper this morning. Sad news. RIP Jimi.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 04:40 PM
 
1,871 posts, read 1,575,358 times
Reputation: 2850
This so shocking to me. I really enjoy the music of Survivor. Plus I will always remember him from the Baywatch Theme. So sad R.I.P.

Charlie.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 02:45 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
6,959 posts, read 12,375,199 times
Reputation: 29138
Default Recent celebrity deaths

Last week there was a thread on here about who the latest celebrities were to pass away. Found this on cnn.com

Survivor lead singer Jimi Jamison dead at 63 - CNN.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 977,821 times
Reputation: 1819
I can't believe this. I didn't realize Survivor had so many hits until I looked them up on YouTube after learning of his death. And I had no clue this guy was the voice of the Baywatch theme song. What great music he gave to us. "Eye of the Tiger," "The Search is Over," "High on You," and "Can't Hold Back," just to name a few. I'm going to listen to his songs now and reminisce. RIP Jimi.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I can't believe this. I didn't realize Survivor had so many hits until I looked them up on YouTube after learning of his death. And I had no clue this guy was the voice of the Baywatch theme song. What great music he gave to us. "Eye of the Tiger," "The Search is Over," "High on You," and "Can't Hold Back," just to name a few. I'm going to listen to his songs now and reminisce. RIP Jimi.
Actually, the recording of "Eye of The Tiger" was sung by Survivor's original vocalist Dave Bickler. Jamison replaced him in late 1983/early 1984. Admittedly, the two sounded very similar to me.

Dave Bickler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The group's music, especially its ballads, were very popular when I was in high school. They even performed in my hometown (pop. about 13,000) at the height of their popularity. Jimi was a native of Memphis, about 120 miles up the road from here. Learning of his passing meant another icon of my youth is gone. These rock singers tend to die too young.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 12:24 AM
 
1,107 posts, read 977,821 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Actually, the recording of "Eye of The Tiger" was sung by Survivor's original vocalist Dave Bickler. Jamison replaced him in late 1983/early 1984. Admittedly, the two sounded very similar to me.

Dave Bickler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The group's music, especially its ballads, were very popular when I was in high school. They even performed in my hometown (pop. about 13,000) at the height of their popularity. Jimi was a native of Memphis, about 120 miles up the road from here. Learning of his passing meant another icon of my youth is gone. These rock singers tend to die too young.
LOL! My bad! Thanks for the correction and the personal story. Jimi was still a heckuva singer and definitely died too young. May he RIP.

Last edited by maniac77; 09-04-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times
Reputation: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
LOL! My bad! Thanks for the correction and the personal story. Jimi was still a heckuva singer and definitely died too young. May he RIP.

When I've seen older rock group members on YouTube or TV, a lot of them don't look healthy. Being overweight is the most obvious problem, but there may be issues with alcohol and drugs, too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
8,609 posts, read 8,614,769 times
Reputation: 5997
Jimi and the other members of Survivor didn't have to resort to publicity stunts like so many of today's "pop stars". They had real talent, and didn't air their sins for public viewing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM
 
Location: California → Tennessee → Ohio
1,399 posts, read 2,155,622 times
Reputation: 898

Survivor - Burning heart (Rocky IV) HQ - YouTube
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top