Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was funnier Robin Williams or Joan Rivers?
Robin Williams was much funnier 40 51.28%
Robin Williams was somewhat funnier. 1 1.28%
Not sure, undecided, Can't compare 14 17.95%
Joan RIvers was somewhat funnier 2 2.56%
Joan Rivers was much funnier 21 26.92%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
By accounts I've read and seen, Joan Rivers was a lovely person in her personal life and her life as a celebrity, with fans, co-workers, assistants and so on. Like Williams, she was involved in a lot of charitable and good causes. I think she probably was at peace all along, whereas Williams suffered from a debilitating mental illness- depression.
Maybe Rivers was at peace, but it is hard to believe someone who is content would keep putting themselves under the knife. As we age, our looks change, and hopefully we can accept those changes gracefully. Ms. Rivers kept having surgery after surgery trying to capture something. That does not seem like the actions of someone at peace with themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:30 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,166 times
"There are so many people who have had plastic surgery this day, they're making coffins in Tupperware. I'm a plastic surgery ______(expletive word)"

She actually wrote a book on how to find the best plastic surgeons. But I agree, to have that much work done to your face, you're not accepting the reality of aging.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Can't compare the two. Their styles are completely different. I thought they were both hysterical.
Whenever Joan Rivers was the guest on Howard Stern, it was some of the funniest radio ever. There were times I was laughing so hard I thought I might have to pull the car over to the side of the road.

Edit: Wow. Just listened to their last interview together. They talked about death a lot, throughout the whole hour.http://youtu.be/KHEgsqHWidg

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 09-07-2014 at 04:06 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
"There are so many people who have had plastic surgery this day, they're making coffins in Tupperware. I'm a plastic surgery ______(expletive word)"

She actually wrote a book on how to find the best plastic surgeons. But I agree, to have that much work done to your face, you're not accepting the reality of aging.
She was indeed not accepting aging and was clear and honest about it and I admired her for her honesty which many don't have and always lied about what they had not done while we could see that their face or body changed so much.

Joan was an example for many and that made her so human.

If you look at any if the Khardasians and how they make a lot of money on products and advertising and being fake like the mom Kris Jenner with her facial creams that she got used for since she claimed not having done anything and just by using the cream it made her look that way...that is scary to have someone like that as an example since others may believe it and become unhappy wi themselves due to comparing them to that person who is lying about Plastic Surgery.

At least Joan was open and honest about it and regardless if you like it or what you personally may think which everyone is entitled to, Joan was honest and in my opinion she looked better than she ever looked in her life.

She had incredible people doing her make up and hair and she was wearing very sophisticated clothes.

Having a mother almost the same age who only had her eyes done due medical issues with to much skin on her upper eyelids which many females have and starts to become a medical issue, I know that My mom would never have wanted all these surgeries but my mom stated that she was amazed how good Joan looked.

The energy Joan had was amazing and how many would work so hard at that age out of free choice?

The amount of celebrities and regular people who have expressed their love and appreciation of what Joan has accomplished in her life and was a huge gap their will be ...is amazing!

The great thing is that finally you can see that Joan brought people together since I have seen black, white, yellow and brown or whatever color you want to mention...gays and Non gays....liberals and republicans, Christians, Jews, etc. young and old, men and women, etc

All had one thing in common...we loved Joan Rivers and were often stunned and amazed about what she said but laughed about her blunt and obnoxious way of putting things like most of us were thinking and not dare to say. What a great personality and business woman and most of all great mom and grand mother!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
They were both unique and incredibly funny. They were both loved by millions and will be sorely missed. We lost two of the greatest comedians this summer.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:14 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Robin Williams.
Joan Rivers wasn´t funny.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:23 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default Joan Rivers

Robin Williams was offensively UNFUNNY. I thought his humor was historically bad and stupid. The first time I saw him in Mork and Mindy I thought he was annoyingly unfunny. That energized delivery of his was atrocious.

I enjoyed Joan's humor.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM

12,192 posts, read 2,960,983 times
The choices are cocaine fueled F bombs or inslut comedy. Neither.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:59 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Maybe Rivers was at peace, but it is hard to believe someone who is content would keep putting themselves under the knife. As we age, our looks change, and hopefully we can accept those changes gracefully. Ms. Rivers kept having surgery after surgery trying to capture something. That does not seem like the actions of someone at peace with themselves.
Astute obervation!!

I always felt like Joan Rivers (bless her soul) felt like she had something to prove like she was not good enough.

Comedians tend to downplay aspects of themselves they wish for others not to see, and create humor surrounding how they feel..

I love Robin Williams a lot myself.

One of my favorite scenes of him:

Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Robin Williams was offensively UNFUNNY. I thought his humor was historically bad and stupid.
Which is basically how I felt about Joan Rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities