U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:51 AM
BMI

5,143 posts, read 2,700,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yes.......
And..........

Jacqueline Bisset,Lind Evans,Jane Fonda,

any of the original Charlies Angels!
Jane Fonda still looks good today!! She turns 80 this year, unbelievable

Bisset and Raquel have aged well too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:34 AM

17,655 posts, read 4,377,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Racquel Welch. I'd still hit it.
My one true love......... forever her slave........ Listen to her still girlish laugh........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBNZsuBz_8

Old 07-30-2017, 10:33 AM

502 posts, read 171,492 times
I was about six years old when I felt the first stirrings of a crush, for Juliet Mills of the TV series "Nanny and the Professor". She was an attractive blonde of the impossible old age of 29 or 30 at the time. She also had an English accent, which I had never heard before, which only made her more exotic and desirable to me.

By age seven, "Nanny and the Professor" had been cancelled, and I had to console myself with repeats until I discovered "I Dream of Jeannie", which was running in repeats in syndication. Barbara Eden was even more of a babe than Juliet Mills was, and what she lacked in English accent, she more than compensated for with exposed midriff (TV network wouldn't let her show her navel). Eden was also blonde; I was a man who knew what he liked at seven.

Sometime in 1973, I almost went astray when I heard Karen Carpenter on the radio, but when I saw a picture of her I thought she looked unhinged and doofy. Quickly, I went running back to Eden. However, I had seen every episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" and was getting bored; my crush was becoming stale. I knew it would be a matter of time when another woman would lure me away for good.

That woman arrived in 1974, in the form of Olivia Newton-John, who had everything my 9 year old self wanted; remembering the Karen Carpenter debacle, I sought out her picture and discovered she was blonde and good-looking, with an Australian accent (I had a thing for accents; still do, actually). "I Honestly Love You" was my favorite song the year it came out (I was too naive to realize it was about committing an infidelity).

Still men are what they are, and by 1975 and age 10, I was hound doggin' again. Agnetha Faltskog of Abba caught my attention that year; blonde (loved how she had long hair), accented (Swedish!), and her songs ("S.O.S." was the current one) were bouncier and packed more punch than Newton-John's more lugubrious songs. Newton-John seemed to be turning to country music anyway, which alienated me. However Agnetha Faltskog only sang some of Abba's songs, and something seemed distant about her, so that crush didn't last.

A quick succession of women followed, each ultimately rejected on the grounds that they weren't quite for me. Linda Ronstadt followed Faltskog, and then Deborah Harry. A disturbing thing happened with Deborah Harry; my dad became a fan and had a crush of his own. When I objected "Dad!! She's my crush, not yours!!", he pointed out that Debbie was closer to his age than mine (he was right: she was 32, I was 13, and he was 45). That kinda ruined it for me.

I briefly consoled myself with TV actress Kristy McNichol, who at least was closer to my age, but she lacked all the grace and aplomb of my earlier imaginary lovers. I considered actress Dinah Manoff (best known for "Ordinary People") as well; she was very similar in appearance to McNichol, and reminded me of a girl in my 9th grade class...

Strangely (or maybe naturally), once I got into high school, I stopped having celebrity crushes. I wanted a real-life girl; these TV actresses and pop stars were just too remote. I didn't succeed until I was nearly 18, and that one didn't work out too well (she was 20 and angry, yes angry, that I had no experience before her... I asked her what did she expect, she knew I was only 17 (17 3/4 really), but for some reason it only made her more angry) However, my second one, who was exactly the same age as me, managed to keep me in the real world. That relationship was fairly "normal"

Since then, there have been a few women celebrities who briefly captured my imagination to some degree; all of them kind of off-beat. In the 80's, I liked Roseanna Arquette; in the 90's it was Illeana Douglas (laugh if you want, but I liked her), in the 00's it was Jessica Alba (who became a celebrity too quickly for my taste)... But they were mere eye candy; nothing serious. I couldn't even tell you who appeals to me now; I never remember the names of actresses, and singers are too anonymous for me.

Writing this, I checked Wikipedia to see how Juliet Mills is getting along, all these years later. All these celebrity crushes are still alive (except for the doomed Karen Carpenter, who wasn't a crush long enough to count; Juliet Mills is pushing 80 and Barbara Eden has passed it years ago), which makes me feel good for some reason...

Old 07-30-2017, 11:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 551,350 times
For a brief period in the 80's I had a strong crush on Moon Unit Zappa.

I also thought E.G. Daily was god's gift to mankind, from seeing her on 'The Righteous Apples' to 'Pee Wee's Big Adventure'.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:05 PM

8,319 posts, read 1,833,030 times
Going on appearances only......Cary Grant and Omar Shariff (life long "crushes", I'm 61). Gino Vanelli (singer), Russel Crowe, Mike Rowe, Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp, Laurence Olivier (see original Wuthering Heights), Timothy Dalton (remake Wuthering Heights), Adam Beach, Tommy Lee Jones, Yul Brenner, Clint Walker, Armand Assante. Now there's a diverse group.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM

3,519 posts, read 3,047,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I was about six years old when I felt the first stirrings of a crush, for Juliet Mills of the TV series "Nanny and the Professor". She was an attractive blonde of the impossible old age of 29 or 30 at the time. She also had an English accent, which I had never heard before, which only made her more exotic and desirable to me.

By age seven, "Nanny and the Professor" had been cancelled, and I had to console myself with repeats until I discovered "I Dream of Jeannie", which was running in repeats in syndication. Barbara Eden was even more of a babe than Juliet Mills was, and what she lacked in English accent, she more than compensated for with exposed midriff (TV network wouldn't let her show her navel). Eden was also blonde; I was a man who knew what he liked at seven.

Sometime in 1973, I almost went astray when I heard Karen Carpenter on the radio, but when I saw a picture of her I thought she looked unhinged and doofy. Quickly, I went running back to Eden. However, I had seen every episode of "I Dream of Jeannie" and was getting bored; my crush was becoming stale. I knew it would be a matter of time when another woman would lure me away for good.

That woman arrived in 1974, in the form of Olivia Newton-John, who had everything my 9 year old self wanted; remembering the Karen Carpenter debacle, I sought out her picture and discovered she was blonde and good-looking, with an Australian accent (I had a thing for accents; still do, actually). "I Honestly Love You" was my favorite song the year it came out (I was too naive to realize it was about committing an infidelity).

Still men are what they are, and by 1975 and age 10, I was hound doggin' again. Agnetha Faltskog of Abba caught my attention that year; blonde (loved how she had long hair), accented (Swedish!), and her songs ("S.O.S." was the current one) were bouncier and packed more punch than Newton-John's more lugubrious songs. Newton-John seemed to be turning to country music anyway, which alienated me. However Agnetha Faltskog only sang some of Abba's songs, and something seemed distant about her, so that crush didn't last.

A quick succession of women followed, each ultimately rejected on the grounds that they weren't quite for me. Linda Ronstadt followed Faltskog, and then Deborah Harry. A disturbing thing happened with Deborah Harry; my dad became a fan and had a crush of his own. When I objected "Dad!! She's my crush, not yours!!", he pointed out that Debbie was closer to his age than mine (he was right: she was 32, I was 13, and he was 45). That kinda ruined it for me.

I briefly consoled myself with TV actress Kristy McNichol, who at least was closer to my age, but she lacked all the grace and aplomb of my earlier imaginary lovers. I considered actress Dinah Manoff (best known for "Ordinary People") as well; she was very similar in appearance to McNichol, and reminded me of a girl in my 9th grade class...

Strangely (or maybe naturally), once I got into high school, I stopped having celebrity crushes. I wanted a real-life girl; these TV actresses and pop stars were just too remote. I didn't succeed until I was nearly 18, and that one didn't work out too well (she was 20 and angry, yes angry, that I had no experience before her... I asked her what did she expect, she knew I was only 17 (17 3/4 really), but for some reason it only made her more angry) However, my second one, who was exactly the same age as me, managed to keep me in the real world. That relationship was fairly "normal"

Since then, there have been a few women celebrities who briefly captured my imagination to some degree; all of them kind of off-beat. In the 80's, I liked Roseanna Arquette; in the 90's it was Illeana Douglas (laugh if you want, but I liked her), in the 00's it was Jessica Alba (who became a celebrity too quickly for my taste)... But they were mere eye candy; nothing serious. I couldn't even tell you who appeals to me now; I never remember the names of actresses, and singers are too anonymous for me.

Writing this, I checked Wikipedia to see how Juliet Mills is getting along, all these years later. All these celebrity crushes are still alive (except for the doomed Karen Carpenter, who wasn't a crush long enough to count; Juliet Mills is pushing 80 and Barbara Eden has passed it years ago), which makes me feel good for some reason...
The empty space is where Maureen McCormick, Marcia Brady, missed your radar?

Old 07-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Status: "Truly Thankful. Happy Thanksgiving to all." (set 7 days ago)

2,493 posts, read 3,055,923 times
Desi Arnaz aka Ricky Ricardo, John Lennon of the Beatles, and Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.

My heart flutters now just thinking of all of them cuz I had the "love bug" bad as a kid! LOL.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:11 PM

5,049 posts, read 2,287,894 times
Born in 1960. As a child no question, Elizabeth Montgomery.

As an FYI, currently, Charlize Theron and Kate Beckinsale.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:03 AM

502 posts, read 171,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
The empty space is where Maureen McCormick, Marcia Brady, missed your radar?
There wasn't really an empty space; I was watching "I Dream of Jeannie" in reruns; mostly in 1972 (the show had been cancelled in 1969).

I went through the same phase as any OG Gen-X'er did regarding the Bradys, and I briefly considered both (I considered Jan Brady first, like most guys. Marcia Brady was a more sophisticated, acquired taste. Cindy was always out of the question), but they were just too juvenile for me (part of why I had to let go of Kristy McNichol too). I was into older chicks back then. A lot older. Plus, you know how familiarity breeds contempt? They were just in reruns too much (at one point, it was possible to see 4 episodes a day). I stopped caring about their braces and nose injuries and imaginary boyfriends. Olivia Newton-John and Barbara Eden were past all that...

Old 07-31-2017, 12:09 PM

8,958 posts, read 2,113,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Jane Fonda still looks good today!! She turns 80 this year, unbelievable

Bisset and Raquel have aged well too.
Then....

and now.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities