U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,367,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
If these accusations are true. there must be someone who heard something or saw something, like maybe seeing him drugging a drink and getting a conspiratorial wink and a finger-to-the-lips shhh. If a former staff member, bodyguard, chauffeur were to come forward, it would help the credibility of the women. Maybe someone with a conscience will step up.

As for Cosby not 'dignifying' this with a response, it's like he's not willing to try to defend himself. No one is threatening a lawsuit, that I have seen. Why remain silent? He won't defend himself, but neither will anyone else defend him, from the looks of it. None of the Hollywood bigwigs are stepping up to show support for him. What about his wife? What must she be thinking? There hasn't been a peep out of her, although that might be because of his decision not to comment. But I wonder if she is wondering if she's been married to a monster for all these years.

his wife no doubt has known of certain indiscretions for many years. I don't know if she knew while it was ongoing but she certainly found about his mistress of many years sometime back when that hit the fans.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,609,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Penn State certainly cared. They fired Joe Paterno and he wasn't even involved. The Catholic Church cared. They fired the priests even though the rapes and molestations happened decades ago. Even if you don't, other people care. NBC cares. Netflix cares.
But that doesn't matter. Public opinion doesn't matter at all. All that matters is what happens in a court of law. Why were these women talking to the media instead of the police? And if they talked to the police and Cosby really did rape them, why wasn't he arrested? It sounds like there was no evidence to me.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM

9,343 posts, read 8,735,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The opposite is also true. Just because she says it happened doesn't mean it did. Interesting how people always believe allegations over denials. Let's have actual proof before we judge. I'm not on his side nor hers. If true, he's a scumbag, if not.... .
I agree!

Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Why would someone settle in court? I really wonder. Okay, say he didn't want the publicity back then of "allegations" or the time and cost and misery of it all. But, if you were innocent would you settle? On charges of rape?? I have to wonder about that...
Sometimes people are advised to settle, even if innocent, because it costs less to settle than to go through a lawsuit. Also, if you settle there is no admission of guilt.

My dad had a car accident a few years ago. The lady hit HIM. Then she sued him and claimed she had all kinds of physical problems from the accident (yet she was a runner and continued to run races). There was a witness who said she was speeding through the light and she hit my dad.. But in the end, his insurance company settled rather than going through a trial. It was cheaper to just pay her lying ass off than go through a trial. And it was the insurance company that made the decision to settle.

I have another question, though. If you were raped, would you settle? On charges of rape? That doesn't make sense. If you were really raped wouldn't you want to go to trial to put the person behind bars so he couldn't rape anyone else? UNLESS you made false allegations because what you were after was the settlement and you didn't really want to go to trial in the first place.

Last edited by luzianne; 11-19-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM

5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But that doesn't matter. Public opinion doesn't matter at all. All that matters is what happens in a court of law. Why were these women talking to the media instead of the police? And if they talked to the police and Cosby really did rape them, why wasn't he arrested? It sounds like there was no evidence to me.
No. The court of public opinion matters. As you can see many celebs were embarrassed or brought down by something they did without spending a day in jail or being legally charged. As a celebrity, you have a reputation to protect. And that reputation can be marred by things illegal or legal. Your political stance can affect your reputation. Your views on women or how you treat them. Etc. etc. People don't have to be charged with anything to have their reputation damaged.

Accusations, whether true or false, can affect public opinion. That is already playing out in him losing business deals.

Again, it has already been said that many did talk to the police. Hence, the settlements. A woman can go to the police and not press charges and settle out of court. It takes a civil suit to put him in jail. And it didn't get that far because of the settlement.

settlement - where both parties mutually agree. the plaintiff agree not to press charges, the defendant agrees to pay damages. The plaintiff can also agree not to speak on the matter in the future.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
No. The court of public opinion matters. As you can see many celebs were embarrassed or brought down by something they did without spending a day in jail or being legally charged. As a celebrity, you have a reputation to protect. And that reputation can be marred by things illegal or legal. Your political stance can affect your reputation. Your views on women or how you treat them. Etc. etc. People don't have to be charged with anything to have their reputation damaged.

Accusations, whether true or false, can affect public opinion. That is already playing out in him losing business deals.

Again, it has already been said that many did talk to the police. Hence, the settlements. A woman can go to the police and not press charges and settle out of court. It takes a civil suit to put him in jail. And it didn't get that far because of the settlement.

settlement - where both parties mutually agree. the plaintiff agree not to press charges, the defendant agrees to pay damages. The plaintiff can also agree not to speak on the matter in the future.
No, public opinion does not matter.

It takes a criminal suit to put in him jail, not a civil suit. And if she was so worried about justice, why did she take the money and run instead of making sure he was in jail so he couldn't rape someone else? Was she only after the money in the first place? Did she make a false accusation to extort money from him?

As I explained above, people are very often advised to settle out of court, and not because they are guilty. Settling out of court does not mean you are guilty.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM

12,630 posts, read 10,732,308 times
Btw, I called the police in college after
an ''incident''...they snickered and rolled their eyes...
whoa, what a wake up call. 1970 Buffalo. No effort was made in any
way...and he was a black guy and no celebrity, me, a blued blonde,
young thing, anyone's daughter.
I would never contact them again.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:09 PM

5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
16 unrelated individuals of different ages over a span of decades and we're still skeptical. As I said before America never ceases to hit rock bottom on humanity.

We know, in the back of our minds, if our daughter came to us and accused a man of raping her, in the back of our minds, the guy would already be guilty. We wouldn't sit there and say, "Well baby, I'm not sure who to believe. You know, it's his word against yours. You could be lying." I don't care if it was President Obama or Billy-Joe down the street. He would be guilty in the parent's eyes. Damn a trial. Even if it happened 5 years ago and there was no evidence. Anyone who says otherwise is not a parent or is lying.

When it's someone else's daughter, for some reason, we're not so believing. I can understand if there was one victim that came forward. But 16? And we're still running around wondering if it's true or not? lol Come on people! Pun intended.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,572,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
his wife no doubt has known of certain indiscretions for many years. I don't know if she knew while it was ongoing but she certainly found about his mistress of many years sometime back when that hit the fans.
But raping someone is nothing like cheating on your spouse, unless you're Kobe Bryant, of course. Infidelity and rape are two completely different things. If I were her, I'd be pretty scared right now. He's got to be getting to the breaking point. And, his silence is deafening.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
16 unrelated individuals of different ages over a span of decades and we're still skeptical. As I said before America never ceases to hit rock bottom on humanity.

We know, in the back of our minds, if our daughter came to us and accused a man of raping her, in the back of our minds, the guy would already be guilty. We wouldn't sit there and say, "Well baby, I'm not sure who to believe. You know, it's his word against yours. You could be lying." I don't care if it was President Obama or Billy-Joe down the street. He would be guilty in the parent's eyes. Damn a trial. Even if it happened 5 years ago and there was no evidence. Anyone who says otherwise is not a parent or is lying.

When it's someone else's daughter, for some reason, we're not so believing. I can understand if there was one victim that came forward. But 16? And we're still running around wondering if it's true or not? lol Come on people! Pun intended.
You don't assume someone is guilty based on allegations. Obviously, none of these women are my daughter. I have a relationship with my daughter and I know her. If she told me she was raped, I would believe her. I don't know any of these women. A lot of times people sue celebrities because they are after the money. If it were my daughter, I would tell her to file a police report. If she went to the media instead of to the police, I would be suspicious of her motives. But she wouldn't do that.

If he really raped them, why didn't they file a police report back then instead of going to the media? If they did file a police report, and he wasn't arrested, that must mean there was no evidence to arrest him. So why would I assume he's guilty?

If he really raped them, and they settled out of court, why did they do that? Weren't they afraid he'd rape other women too and want him off the streets? Or were they only suing hoping for a payout.

Like I said before, the whole thing just sounds fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or